* RE: How change libtool rule of naming dlls from "cygFOO-version.dll" to "FOO.dll"?
@ 2004-12-21  7:01 Mike Kenny - BCX - Professional Services JHB
       [not found] ` <0C7AD907113E984F9C2AF0B651D0D3DE577129@exmid04.africa.ente rprise.root>
From: Mike Kenny - BCX - Professional Services JHB @ 2004-12-21  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikhail Dmitrievsky, cygwin

 What is the effect of using
$ ln cygsurfit-1.dll libsurfit.dll
to create a link rather than simply rename?

From: Larry Hall @ 2004-12-21 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Kenny - BCX - Professional Services JHB,
	Mikhail Dmitrievsky, cygwin

At 02:03 AM 12/21/2004, you wrote:
> What is the effect of using
>$ ln cygsurfit-1.dll libsurfit.dll
>to create a link rather than simply rename?

Chaos.

Windows does not support loading of DLLs through links.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: How change libtool rule of naming dlls from "cygFOO-version.dll" to "FOO.dll"?
@ 2004-12-23 15:43 ` Maarten Boekhold
From: Maarten Boekhold @ 2004-12-23 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Mikhail Dmitrievsky wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a problem. I write dll for Tcl and my dll must have fixed name
> "libsurfit.dll" because of fixed initial procedure name, but using libtool i
> have cygsurfit-1.dll :(

Use the "-module" flag with libtool. That will create libsurfit-1.dll
instead of cygsurfit-1.dll.

If you also want to get rid of the version number, use in addition the
"-avoid-version" flag.

eg.

	libtool -module -avoid-version .......

Maarten

* Re: How change libtool rule of naming dlls from "cygFOO-version.dll" to "FOO.dll"?
@ 2004-12-23  6:41 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-12-23  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 08:23:37AM +0200, Mike Kenny - BCX - Professional Services JHB wrote:
>> From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com
>> [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of Christopher Faylor
>>
>> Even if it was "ln -s", it's hardly fair to blame windows for
>> not honoring a cygwin invention -- symbolic links.
>
>My intent was not to blame windows for not honoring a cygwin(?)
>invention, but for not having such useful functionality itself.
>
>IIRC symbolic links predate cygwin, even predate linux for that
>matter.

No way?  You mean cygwin didn't invent symbolic links?!?  Who would
ever have guessed!

>In fact they predate windows as we know it today so it is surprising
>that as so many other good ideas from UNIX made it into MS products
>that links didn't.  Hard or soft.  That was my point.

So now your point is instructing people in basic UNIX 101?

You should probably quit while you're not too far behind.

cgf

* RE: How change libtool rule of naming dlls from "cygFOO-version.dll" to "FOO.dll"?
@ 2004-12-23  6:22 Mike Kenny - BCX - Professional Services JHB
From: Mike Kenny - BCX - Professional Services JHB @ 2004-12-23  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com
> [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of Christopher Faylor
>
> Even if it was "ln -s", it's hardly fair to blame windows for
> not honoring a cygwin invention -- symbolic links.

My intent was not to blame windows for not honoring a cygwin(?)
invention, but for not having such useful functionality itself.

IIRC symbolic links predate cygwin, even predate linux for that
matter. In fact they predate windows as we know it today so it

@ 2004-12-23  1:22       ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2004-12-23  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 10:02 AM 12/22/2004, you wrote:
> [...]

Aye, that it would!

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: How change libtool rule of naming dlls from "cygFOO-version.dll" to "FOO.dll"?
@ 2004-12-22 15:02     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-12-22 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

       [not found] ` <0C7AD907113E984F9C2AF0B651D0D3DE57713A@exmid04.africa.ente rprise.root>