* RE: man.conf missing after cygwin upgrade
@ 2005-07-12 14:16 FischRon.external
From: FischRon.external @ 2005-07-12 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> So, except for the pdksh postinstall (which is a genuine
> bug), everything
> else seems to be related to the weird permissions on your machine.

Could it be related to the strange fact that my numeric user id
suddenly has changed from 400 to 121833?

One more note regarding the recreation of /etc/passwd: The inclusion
of -d -u USERNAME now has the somewhat annoying side effect, that for
example my homedirectory is now not printed as /cygdrive/h like before,
but in network drive notation:

$ pwd
//MUCSDN03/FischRon/.ssh

Of course, I can still access it as /cygdrive/h, so it is not a
functional
problem. Still I wonder whether it would be so bad to go back to the
old version of /etc/passwd, where my homedirectory is listed as
/cygdrive/h
and everything else being equal....

Ronald

* RE: man.conf missing after cygwin upgrade
@ 2005-07-12 14:21 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-07-12 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FischRon.external; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, FischRon.external wrote:

> > So, except for the pdksh postinstall (which is a genuine bug),
> > everything else seems to be related to the weird permissions on your
> > machine.
>
> Could it be related to the strange fact that my numeric user id
> suddenly has changed from 400 to 121833?

I'm not sure.

> One more note regarding the recreation of /etc/passwd: The inclusion of
> -d -u USERNAME now has the somewhat annoying side effect, that for
> example my homedirectory is now not printed as /cygdrive/h like before,
> but in network drive notation:
>
> $ pwd
> //MUCSDN03/FischRon/.ssh
>
> Of course, I can still access it as /cygdrive/h, so it is not a
> functional problem. Still I wonder whether it would be so bad to go back
> to the old version of /etc/passwd, where my homedirectory is listed as
> /cygdrive/h and everything else being equal....

You can *edit* /etc/passwd, you know, and change your home directory
(username, userid, etc) to whatever you want.  Just be careful not to
change the SID field.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* RE: man.conf missing after cygwin upgrade
@ 2005-07-12 19:36   ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2005-07-12 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, FischRon.external

At 10:20 AM 7/12/2005, you wrote:
>On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, FischRon.external wrote:
>
>> > So, except for the pdksh postinstall (which is a genuine bug),
>> > everything else seems to be related to the weird permissions on your
>> > machine.
>>
>> Could it be related to the strange fact that my numeric user id
>> suddenly has changed from 400 to 121833?
>
>I'm not sure.

Well, this simple fact would not change file permissions from something
to 000.  However, if you're permissions previously were not POSIX but
only ACLs and those ACLs didn't include your domain user, then you may
have somehow been able to create files with POSIX permissions 000 and
still been able to access them mostly before your "new" UID appeared.
That's a pretty far-fetched conjecture on my part so I wouldn't give it
too much credence.  But, the point I want to make is that running
mkpasswd/mkgroup isn't going to change file permissions.

Holliston, MA 01746

* RE: man.conf missing after cygwin upgrade
@ 2005-07-12 20:27     ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-07-12 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: FischRon.external

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Larry Hall wrote:

> >> Could it be related to the strange fact that my numeric user id
> >> suddenly has changed from 400 to 121833?
> >
> >I'm not sure.
>

> Well, this simple fact would not change file permissions from something
> to 000.  However, if you're permissions previously were not POSIX but
> only ACLs and those ACLs didn't include your domain user, then you may
> have somehow been able to create files with POSIX permissions 000 and
> still been able to access them mostly before your "new" UID appeared.
> That's a pretty far-fetched conjecture on my part so I wouldn't give it
> too much credence.  But, the point I want to make is that running
> mkpasswd/mkgroup isn't going to change file permissions.

Larry, I suspect "ls -l" showed files with permissions ----------+, which
Ron interpreted as 000 without noticing the ACL flag.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* RE: man.conf missing after cygwin upgrade
@ 2005-07-12 21:29       ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2005-07-12 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: FischRon.external

At 04:27 PM 7/12/2005, you wrote:
>On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Larry Hall wrote:

>> >I'm not sure.
>>

>> Well, this simple fact would not change file permissions from something
>> to 000.  However, if you're permissions previously were not POSIX but
>> only ACLs and those ACLs didn't include your domain user, then you may
>> have somehow been able to create files with POSIX permissions 000 and
>> still been able to access them mostly before your "new" UID appeared.
>> That's a pretty far-fetched conjecture on my part so I wouldn't give it
>> too much credence.  But, the point I want to make is that running
>> mkpasswd/mkgroup isn't going to change file permissions.
>
>Larry, I suspect "ls -l" showed files with permissions ----------+, which
>Ron interpreted as 000 without noticing the ACL flag.

Yes, I suspect this as well.

Holliston, MA 01746

* RE: man.conf missing after cygwin upgrade
@ 2005-07-13  6:01 FischRon.external
From: FischRon.external @ 2005-07-13  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> >Larry, I suspect "ls -l" showed files with permissions
> ----------+, which
> >Ron interpreted as 000 without noticing the ACL flag.
>
> Yes, I suspect this as well.

Suspection was correct. I did pay no attention to the "+", but I read
the info node and saw the hint to "alternate access method". I guess
this means that the protection is determined by the Windows ACL.

Having realized this, I checked a few files, and from the samples
I took, I see that I have problems with chmod and chown only with
files where ls -l lists this tiny "+" (see the thread
"chmod suddenly ceased to work on old files - NEW FINDINGS" and
my most recent posting to "ssh ceased to work after recreation of
/etc/passwd"
- somehow what I believed to be different problems, might in the end all
be related to Windows ACL problems.

How does Windows get the ACL from? I guess Windows has a similar concept
of user- and group id as Unix. Could it be that in our LDAP directory,
my numeric userid was changed, while my user name stayed the same? Sorry
for the somewhat fuzzy wording, but I don't have enough knowledge of
Windows
to formulate it more precisely.

Ronald

* RE: man.conf missing after cygwin upgrade
@ 2005-07-12 14:07 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-07-12 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FischRon.external; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, FischRon.external wrote:

> > I think your main problem wasn't with permissions, but with
> > postinstall scripts not running properly.  See if running them fixes
> > the problem.
>
> I re-ran them. Incidentally, all those sh files had permission 000;
> interestingly, I was still able to execute them. I had expected to
> get error messages "can not execute...".
>
> Most went well, but on some, I got errors:
>
> pdksh.sh:
>
> @(#)PD KSH v5.2.14 99/07/13.2: not found
> Installing default /etc/ksh.kshrc
> install: cannot stat `/usr/share/pdksh-/ksh.kshrc': No such file or directory
> Installing default /etc/profile.ksh
> install: cannot stat `/usr/share/pdksh-/profile.ksh': No such file or directory

Ugh.  Apparently the backslash wasn't interpreted correctly...  This is a
bug in the postinstall script -- it worked in ash, but doesn't in bash.
I'll see what I can do about fixing it.

> pinfo.sh:
>
> WARNING! Old pinforc detected. I'm not installing the new file

Not a problem.

> post-texmf.sh:
>
> lstat(./kpsewhich) failed ...
> ./kpsewhich: No such file or directory
> lstat(./kpsewhich) failed ...
> ./kpsewhich: No such file or directory
> lstat(./kpsewhich) failed ...
> ./kpsewhich: No such file or directory
> mktexlsr: Updating /usr/share/texmf/ls-R...
> mktexlsr: /var/cache/fonts/ls-R: no write permission. Skipping...
> mktexlsr: Done.
> lstat(./kpsewhich) failed ...
> ./kpsewhich: No such file or directory
> /usr/share/texmf/ls-R: Permission denied
> and then hundreds of error messages, most of them about "Permission
> denied".

Probably permission issues again.

> xorg-x11-fenc.sh:
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi is not a directory. skipping
> updating /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi
> Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
> updating /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
> Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID is not a directory. skipping
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF is not a directory. skipping
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 is not a directory. skipping
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic is not a directory. skipping
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local is not a directory. skipping
>
> and similar errors with xorg-x11-fnts.sh

Umm, not sure, but probably permission issues too.  I'd bring this one up
on the cygwin-xfree list.

@ 2005-07-12 13:32 FischRon.external
From: FischRon.external @ 2005-07-12 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2005-07-12  8:07 FischRon.external
From: FischRon.external @ 2005-07-12  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Well, you *do* need an entry for your domain user.  That's
> accomplished
> with "mkpasswd -d -u YOURUSERNAME" (which will only query the PDC for
> YOURUSERNAME, not list all users).  I'm no security expert,
> but I think
> there's enough local information that "mkpasswd -l -c" ("-c"
> stands for
> "current user") works too (it doesn't query the PDC).

I think it does. Out of curiosity, I compared the output of

  mkpasswd -l -c

and

  mkpasswd -d -u fischron

and the difference, with respect to the entry for my user id, is: In the
case
of -c -l, the /etc/passwd entry reads

fischron:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:121833:10513:fischron,U-EU\fischron,S-1-5-
21-2052111302-842925246-682003330-111833:/cygdrive/h:/bin/bash

and with -u fischron, it reads

fischron:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:121833:10513:Fischer Ronald (IT BT CFS IKM
External),U-EU\fischron,S-1-5-21-2052111302-842925246-682003330-111833:/
/MUCSDN03/FischRon:/bin/bash

So the only essential difference is that my home directory is specified
as the network drive in the latter case, and as Windows drive in the
former.
I think you agree that these differences don't effect operation of
Cygwin in any
way, don't you?

> > I tried "-d" on mkgroup once (where it goes slightly faster), and it
> > ended up with a group file of about 30000 entries!
>
> Yes.  You only need the groups that your domain user belongs
> to.  Since
> I'm not in a domain, I don't know how to get a list of those,
> but I'm sure
> someone here will respond with this info.

Well, I checked my /etc/passwd and found that it refers to only 3
different
groups: 544 ("Administrators"), 513 ("None") and 10513. When I do a
mkgroup -l -c, group 10513 becomes a group with name mkgroup_l_d, which,
as I understand from your explanation, is a hint that there could be
a problem. But when I do a

   mkgroup -d -g 'Domain Users'

then group 10513 is listed as belonging to the domain users. So as a
solution,
I recreated the group file by

  (mkgroup -l; mkgroup -d -g 'Domain Users') >/etc/group

which yielded the following /etc/group:

SYSTEM:S-1-5-18:18:
None:S-1-5-21-602162358-162531612-725345543-513:513:
Administrators:S-1-5-32-544:544:
Backup Operators:S-1-5-32-551:551:
Guests:S-1-5-32-546:546:
Power Users:S-1-5-32-547:547:
Replicator:S-1-5-32-552:552:
Users:S-1-5-32-545:545:
Debugger Users:S-1-5-21-602162358-162531612-725345543-1001:1001:
Domain Users:S-1-5-21-2052111302-842925246-682003330-513:10513:

I think this should be correct now, doesn't it?

> > I don't think I want it. I just don't see what advantage it
> has. And,
> > after all, that information is outdated the next day anyway, because
> > there are continuously systems coming and going.
>
> Huh?  The domain users/groups live on the PDC, which is one machine.
> Unless you mean that users and groups are constantly added
> and deleted?

Yes, my rough guess is that a few dozen of users are added daily in
the average, and about the same number deleted.

> But you're right, if you're the only user on the machine,
> "mkpasswd -d" is
> overkill.  "mkpasswd -d -u YOURUSERNAME" isn't.

Here again, you have to combine both by

  (mkpasswd -l; mkpasswd -d -u fischron) >/etc/passwd

because mkpasswd -d -u fischron alone would *only* write the entry
belonging to my username, but would omit entries such as Guest, Admin
etc.

Regards,

Ronald

* RE: man.conf missing after cygwin upgrade
@ 2005-07-11 15:12 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-07-11 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FischRon.external; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, FischRon.external wrote:

> > > I did the variation with "-l -c" to recreate /etc/passwd, because
> > > "-d" would hang the shell.
> >
> > It doesn't hang, just takes very very long in large domains.  What you
> > want is "mkpasswd -d -u YOURUSERNAME >> /etc/passwd".  Though I
> > believe "mkpasswd -c" already does that without the need to query the
> > domain.
>
> Do I really *need* -d? On first setup of Cygwin, the whole Domain wasn't
> searched either.

Well, you *do* need an entry for your domain user.  That's accomplished
with "mkpasswd -d -u YOURUSERNAME" (which will only query the PDC for
YOURUSERNAME, not list all users).  I'm no security expert, but I think
there's enough local information that "mkpasswd -l -c" ("-c" stands for
"current user") works too (it doesn't query the PDC).

> I tried "-d" on mkgroup once (where it goes slightly faster), and it
> ended up with a group file of about 30000 entries!

Yes.  You only need the groups that your domain user belongs to.  Since
I'm not in a domain, I don't know how to get a list of those, but I'm sure
someone here will respond with this info.

Using the "-g" flag to mkgroup will query the PDC for those groups
individually, which is *much* faster.  Omitting the "-g" (or the "-u" for
mkpasswd) will query the domain for all groups (users), which is what I
wrote about below.

@ 2005-07-11 14:27 FischRon.external
From: FischRon.external @ 2005-07-11 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> > I did the variation with "-l -c" to recreate /etc/passwd,
> because "-d"
> > would hang the shell.
>
> It doesn't hang, just takes very very long in large domains.  What you
> want is "mkpasswd -d -u YOURUSERNAME >> /etc/passwd".  Though
> I believe
> "mkpasswd -c" already does that without the need to query the domain.

Do I really *need* -d? On first setup of Cygwin, the whole Domain wasn't
searched either. I tried "-d" on mkgroup once (where it goes slightly

@ 2005-07-11 13:16 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-07-11 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FischRon.external; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, FischRon.external wrote:

> > The -u flag to mkpasswd (and -g flag to mkgroup) are your
> > friends.  See
> > the User's Guide.
> >
> > The thing is that if you're the only user in your domain using the
> > machine, you can simply run "mkpasswd -l -c > /etc/passwd"
> > (or "mkpasswd
> > -l -d -u YOURUSERNAME > /etc/passwd").
>
> I did the variation with "-l -c" to recreate /etc/passwd, because "-d"
> would hang the shell.

It doesn't hang, just takes very very long in large domains.  What you
want is "mkpasswd -d -u YOURUSERNAME >> /etc/passwd".  Though I believe
"mkpasswd -c" already does that without the need to query the domain.

> I also recreated /etc/group without all the domain stuff.
>
> Actually you are right, I am the only user of this machine.

Yes, but you do need the groups.  So, you'll have to add all the domain
groups that your user is a member of to /etc/group, using "mkgroup -d -g
GROUPNAME >> /etc/group" for each group.

> > > Incidentally, a group named "mkpasswd" does not exist. Do you think
> > > I should do a chgrp to all directories below / which now have group
> > > mkpasswd? What group would be suitable? Maybe Administrators?
> >
> > Just bring your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files up-to-date.  See
> > <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-ids>.
>
> There is one sentence on this page which might be a hint to the problem
> in question:
>
>   "if the login group of the current user isn't in /etc/group, it will
>    be named 'mkgroup'"

It's not a problem, it's a warning that your /etc/group is not up-to-date.

> Now after recreation of group and passwd, I have:
>
> ~ $ id
> uid=121833(fischron) gid=10513(mkgroup_l_d)
> groups=544(Administrators),545(Users),10513(mkgroup_l_d)
> ~ $ grep fischron /etc/passwd
> fischron:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:121833:10513:fischron,U-EU\fischron,S-1-5-
> 21-2052111302-842925246-682003330-111833:/cygdrive/h:/bin/bash
> ~ $ grep 10513 /etc/group
> mkgroup_l_d:S-1-5-21-2052111302-842925246-682003330-513:10513:
>
> so I have now group mkgroup_l_d (I guess this should suggest "local
> domain"?),

No, it suggests running "mkgroup -l -d". :-)
But don't do that if you have a large domain...  Unless you just want to
leave it to complete overnight.

I wonder if we should add a warning about mkpasswd/mkgroup taking very
long in large domains to the User's Guide?

> and not "mkgroup". Is this better?

10513, IIRC, is "Domain Users".  Try "mkgroup -d -g 'Domain Users' >>
/etc/group" (note the quotes around "Domain Users".

> > I think your main problem wasn't with permissions, but with
> > postinstall scripts not running properly.  See if running them fixes
> > the problem.
>
> Yes, I will, and keep the results posted.

FWIW, I have a patch to setup (that I should submit soon) which will check
the exit codes of postinstall scripts and warn if they didn't complete
properly.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* RE: man.conf missing after cygwin upgrade
@ 2005-07-11  8:28 FischRon.external
From: FischRon.external @ 2005-07-11  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2005-07-07 15:34 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-07-07 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FischRon.external; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, FischRon.external wrote:

> [...]
> > > default:group:SYSTEM:rwx
> > > default:mask:rwx
> > >
> > > # file: /usr/share
> > > # owner: Administrators
> > > # group: mkpasswd
> >     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > user::rwx
> > > group::---
> >   ^^^^^^^^^^
> > > group:SYSTEM:rwx
> > > mask:rwx
> > > other:---
> > > default:user:Administrators:rwx
> > > default:group:SYSTEM:rwx
> > > default:mask:rwx
> > Well, the underlined lines above (those that say "group: mkpasswd") do
> > look problematic -- your /etc/passwd and /etc/group aren't up-to-date.
> > I'd investigate what the actual group of those files is, and
> > regenerate
> > your mkpasswd (are you in a domain, by any chance?).
>
> Yes, I am.
>
> I have just recently (i.e. after the setup) re-created both /etc/group
> and /etc/passwd. With /etc/group, I did a
>
>   mkgroup -l -d >/etc/group
>
> not nowing that this would really scan all my domain, so after more than
> half an hour, I'm ending with a /etc/group file containing nearly 30000
> lines. With mkpasswd, I then made only a
>
>   mkpasswd >/etc/passwd

The -u flag to mkpasswd (and -g flag to mkgroup) are your friends.  See
the User's Guide.

The thing is that if you're the only user in your domain using the
machine, you can simply run "mkpasswd -l -c > /etc/passwd" (or "mkpasswd
-l -d -u YOURUSERNAME > /etc/passwd").

> Incidentally, a group named "mkpasswd" does not exist. Do you think I
> should do a chgrp to all directories below / which now have group
> mkpasswd? What group would be suitable? Maybe Administrators?

Just bring your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files up-to-date.  See
<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-ids>.

> $ mkgroup -l
> SYSTEM:S-1-5-18:18:
> None:S-1-5-21-602162358-162531612-725345543-513:513:
> Administrators:S-1-5-32-544:544:
> Backup Operators:S-1-5-32-551:551:
> Guests:S-1-5-32-546:546:
> Power Users:S-1-5-32-547:547:
> Replicator:S-1-5-32-552:552:
> Users:S-1-5-32-545:545:
> Debugger Users:S-1-5-21-602162358-162531612-725345543-1001:1001:
>
> > The other underlined lines ("group:---") may be a problem too, just
> > because the directories are owned by a Windows *group*.
>
> OK, I have chmod'ed this to 0777.

I think your main problem wasn't with permissions, but with postinstall
scripts not running properly.  See if running them fixes the problem.

> > It's also possible that the ownership by a group confuses directory
> > permission inheritance, so that you end up with 000 permissions plus a
> > couple of ACLs (that aren't picked up by Unix tools like
> > "stat"/"test").
>
> This makes sense to me. I didn't know that permissions are inherited
> from the parent directory. Is this a Windoze feature?

Yes, but again, do the postinstall thing first, and see if permissions
matter afterwards.

> > > Just to mention a few, the following postinstall files were *not*
> > > run according to the log file:
> > >
> > > cygfile:///etc/postinstall/base-files-mketc.sh
> >
> > This one did, but didn't complete.
>
> But shouldn't then in the logfile be an entry "running
> postinstall/base-files-mketc.sh" ?

There was.  It's the one that said "Unknown system type ; exiting".

> > > cygfile:///etc/postinstall/man.sh
> > > cygfile:///etc/postinstall/pdksh.sh
> > > cygfile:///etc/postinstall/wget.sh
> > > cygfile:///etc/postinstall/update-info-dir.sh
> >
> > Yep, these didn't run.  There are more in your postinstall directory
> > below.
>
> You mean: All where a sh file, but no corresponding "done" file is in
> the postinstall directory?

All where there is a .sh file.  The .sh file is run, and then renamed to
.sh.done by setup.  The .sh.done files where there's also a .sh file are
old versions of the scripts.  You probably want to run the new ones.

> > I noticed that your log has many "Scheduled reboot replacement" lines
> > -- you had Cygwin processes running while installing.
>
> Yes, this is correct. I have always some bash shells open. But after the
> setup was finished (and I didn't get any error message from the setup
> script), I restarted the system.

The "no error message" is a problem.  FWIW, I'm working on one way of
fixing it, but don't know when that's going to be in.

> One bash file is opened by Windows autostart. Could this interfere with
> the post-install?

You mean autostart after reboot?  No, it shouldn't -- Cygwin setup doesn't
run anything after reboot, it only uses Windows mechanisms for replacing
files...

> > I suspect the problem with postinstall scripts is that the emacs one
> > popped up some Windows message boxes (e.g., "Entrypoint... not
> > found"), and thus setup didn't run the others.
> >
> > Did setup recommend that you reboot?
>
> Yes
>
> > Did you?
>
> Yes
>
> > > Do you recommend that I run all the other postinstall scripts
> > > manually, like I did with man.sh?
> >
> > After a reboot, yes, I'd suggest running the scripts (you may even try
> > reinstalling the affected packages via setup).  See below for a list.
>
> Yes, I think re-running setup is the cleanest solution.
>
> I will do this next week and keep my experiences posted.

Great.

> > > CYGWIN_NT-5.0 mucw0291 1.5.18(0.132/4/2) 2005-07-02 20:30 i686
> > > unknown unknown Cygwin
> >
> > Extremely weird.
>
> Why? According to the man page, the only "unknown" entries relate to
> the parameters "processor" and "hardware-platform", and it is easy to
> imagine that uname can't extract that information.

Sorry, I was unclear here.  It's not the output of "uname -a" that's
extremely weird, it's the fact that base-files-mketc.sh failed to extract
the system name -- it looks for CYGWIN_NT*.  As I said, I suspect uname
didn't complete properly, and so the output that the script got was empty.

> > Could it be the same problem (some utility exited producing no output
> > because of the wrong current versions of files)?
>
> I don't understand: How could this affect uname?

Uname is linked with the new version of cygwin1.dll, which may have added
system calls.  If the new uname looks for those system call entrypoints in
the old DLL, it won't find them, and will not complete properly, giving no
output.  The script checks the output of uname, and of course will not
match it against any of the expected values.

> > Ok, so you need to run all the ones that end in .sh, and rename them
> > to .done (while overwriting the old versions).  If you make a note of
> > which scripts need running, and set those packages to "Reinstall" in
> > setup, setup will do this for you.
>
> OK, but wouldn't it be easier to simply have setup to update them
> automatically?

Update them in what sense?  The ones with .sh are the *new* versions.
The ones with .done are old ones, left over from the previous
installation.  If you "Reinstall" the packages, setup will run every
<pkg>.sh script, and rename it to <pkg>.sh.done (automatically).

> > This is an interesting problem, thanks for helping debug this.
>
> Thank you for helping me to get it running!

No problem -- enjoy. :-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT

* RE: man.conf missing after cygwin upgrade
@ 2005-07-07  7:35 FischRon.external
From: FischRon.external @ 2005-07-07  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Please make sure your mailer respects the Reply-To: header --
> I set it for
> a reason.  There's no need to Cc: me on the messages, as I
> read the list.

Thank you for pointing this out! It's done correct now.

> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, FischRon.external wrote:
> > I found that all in a while, a file created under cygwin ends up
> > with permission 000...
>
> This usually indicates wrong directory permissions on higher-level
> directories.  Could you please post the output of "getfacl
> /usr /usr/share
> /usr/share/misc" (seeing as you've already posted the output
> of "getfacl
> /").

~ $ getfacl /usr /usr/share /usr/share/misc
# file: /usr
# owner: Administrators
# group: mkpasswd
user::rwx
group::---
group:SYSTEM:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---
default:user:Administrators:rwx
default:group:SYSTEM:rwx
default:mask:rwx

# file: /usr/share
# owner: Administrators
# group: mkpasswd
user::rwx
group::---
group:SYSTEM:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---
default:user:Administrators:rwx
default:group:SYSTEM:rwx
default:mask:rwx

# file: /usr/share/misc
# owner: fischron
# group: Users
user::rwx
group::rwx
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
mask:rwx
other:rwx
default:group:SYSTEM:rwx
default:group:Administrators:rwx
default:mask:rwx

Looks correct, doesn't it?

> > > If you haven't run setup since upgrading man, see if
> > > /var/log/setup.log.full has any messages from
> /etc/postinstall/man.sh.
> >
> > Nothing useful. man.sh is mentioned only once:
> >
> >     Installing file cygfile:///etc/postinstall/man.sh
>
> Very weird.  So the postinstall script didn't run?

The log file has a lot of lines saying "Installing file .....
postinstall ....",
but at the end, when it comes to actually running the postinstall files,
see in the log only the following:

2005/07/04 12:33:17 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/cron.sh
2005/07/04 12:33:19 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/cygwin-doc.sh
2005/07/04 12:33:19 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/d.sh
2005/07/04 12:33:20 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/emacs.sh
2005/07/04 12:33:25 mbox note: Installation Complete
2005/07/04 12:33:28 Ending cygwin install

Just to mention a few, the following postinstall files were *not* run
according
to the log file:

cygfile:///etc/postinstall/base-files-mketc.sh
cygfile:///etc/postinstall/man.sh
cygfile:///etc/postinstall/pdksh.sh
cygfile:///etc/postinstall/wget.sh
cygfile:///etc/postinstall/update-info-dir.sh

and many, many more.

Do you recommend that I run all the other postinstall scripts manually,
like
I did with man.sh?

> > The only thing which might look like an error message does not seem
> > related to the man problem:
> >
> >    2005/07/04 12:27:54 zsh
> >    2005/07/04 12:27:54 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
> /etc/postinstall/base-files-mketc.sh
> >    Unknown system type ; exiting
>
> That's even weirder.  What does "uname -a" show?  You should
> not get that
> message on Win2k Pro (as your previously attached cygcheck output
> indicates).

CYGWIN_NT-5.0 mucw0291 1.5.18(0.132/4/2) 2005-07-02 20:30 i686 unknown
unknown Cygwin

> > > You should re-run /etc/postinstall/man.sh.done
> >
> > I guess you mean: /etc/postinstall/man.sh  - there is no file
> > /etc/postinstall/man.sh.done
>
> No, I meant /etc/postinstall/man.sh.done, since I didn't
> realize that the
> postinstall script didn't run.

But there is no file of this name!

~ $ ls /etc/postinstall
XFree86-fenc.sh.done                 lynx.sh
XFree86-fnts.sh.done                 man.sh
XFree86-lib.sh.done                  passwd-grp.sh
XFree86-xserv.sh.done                passwd-grp.sh.done
base-files-mketc.sh.done             pdksh.sh
base-files-profile.sh.done           pinfo.sh
bzip2.sh.done                        pinfo.sh.done
cron.sh.done                         post-texmf.sh
cygwin-doc-postinstall.sh.done       readline.sh.done
cygwin-doc.sh.done                   terminfo.sh
d.sh.done                            terminfo.sh.done
emacs.sh                             tidy.sh
enscript.sh                          tidy.sh.done
enscript.sh.done                     update-info-dir.sh
fontconfig.sh                        update-info-dir.sh.done
freetype2.sh                         wget.sh
gcc-mingw-core-3.4.4-20050522-1.tgz  xorg-x11-fenc.sh
gcc-mingw-core.sh                    xorg-x11-fnts.sh
gcc-mingw-java-3.4.4-20050522-1.tgz  xorg-x11-libs-data.sh
gcc-mingw-java.sh                    xorg-x11-xwin.sh
libgdbm-devel.sh.done                zsh-profile.sh

> If you still haven't run
> setup since that
> fateful man installation

no, I didn't

> (or if you kept a separate copy of
> it), please
> post /var/log/setup.log.full to the list -- something weird happened
> during your install, and, hopefully, the log will show it.

I've attached it gzipped.

> Hmm, hopefully the Cygwin security experts will chime in
> here.  All I can
> tell is the fact that the directory is owned by a group, and
> that you have
> default permissions, looks suspicious.  Does your /etc/passwd
> contain the
> Administrators user?

Yes, it does:

~ $ fgrep Administrators /etc/passwd
Administrators:*:544:544:,S-1-5-32-544::

Regards,

Ronald

[-- Attachment #2: setup.log.full.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 419692 bytes --]

* RE: man.conf missing after cygwin upgrade
@ 2005-07-05 14:44 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-07-05 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FischRon.external; +Cc: cygwin

Ron,

Please make sure your mailer respects the Reply-To: header -- I set it for
a reason.  There's no need to Cc: me on the messages, as I read the list.

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, FischRon.external wrote:

> > On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, FischRon.external wrote:
> >
> > > Now I checked /usr/share/misc and found that it has permissions 000.
> > > I chmod the permissions to 0777. Also I found that /usr/share/misc
> > > is empty, i.e. there is no file man.conf in it.
> >
> > Ah, that could be the reason -- permissions 000 would make the
> > postinstall script fail when copying the man.conf file from its
> > default location.
>
> I found that all in a while, a file created under cygwin ends up
> with permission 000...

This usually indicates wrong directory permissions on higher-level
directories.  Could you please post the output of "getfacl /usr /usr/share
/usr/share/misc" (seeing as you've already posted the output of "getfacl
/").

> > If you haven't run setup since upgrading man, see if
> > /var/log/setup.log.full has any messages from /etc/postinstall/man.sh.
>
> Nothing useful. man.sh is mentioned only once:
>
>     Installing file cygfile:///etc/postinstall/man.sh

Very weird.  So the postinstall script didn't run?

> man.conf is mentioned in several directories, such as
>
>    Installing file cygfile:///usr/share/man/pt/man5/man.conf.5
>
> but never in /usr/share/misc (where man is obviously looking for it).

Right, because it's copied to /usr/share/misc by the postinstall script
(to avoid overwriting user changes, if any).

> The only thing which might look like an error message does not seem
> related to the man problem:
>
>    2005/07/04 12:27:54 zsh
>    2005/07/04 12:27:54 running: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c /etc/postinstall/base-files-mketc.sh
>    Unknown system type ; exiting

That's even weirder.  What does "uname -a" show?  You should not get that
message on Win2k Pro (as your previously attached cygcheck output
indicates).

> > You should re-run /etc/postinstall/man.sh.done
>
> I guess you mean: /etc/postinstall/man.sh  - there is no file
> /etc/postinstall/man.sh.done

No, I meant /etc/postinstall/man.sh.done, since I didn't realize that the
postinstall script didn't run.  If you still haven't run setup since that
fateful man installation (or if you kept a separate copy of it), please
post /var/log/setup.log.full to the list -- something weird happened
during your install, and, hopefully, the log will show it.

> This went very quickly, and it created the file:
>
>    /etc/postinstall $ man.sh
>    Using the default version of /usr/share/misc/man.conf (/etc/defaults/usr/share/misc/man.conf)
>    /etc/postinstall $ ls -l /usr/share/misc/man.conf
>    -rw-r--r--  1 fischron mkgroup_l_d 4576 Jul  5 08:46 /usr/share/misc/man.conf
>
> and now the error message on invoking man does not appear anymore.
>
> Thank you for helping!

Glad it helped.  This still doesn't explain why the postinstall script
didn't run, however.

> > Now that your /usr/share/misc has better permissions, future man
> > upgrades should work.  If I were you, I'd investigate *why*
> > /usr/share/misc ended up with 000 permissions in the first place (it's
> > created by setup.exe using the inherited Windows permissions -- are
> > the ACLs on / too strict?).
>
> As far I can tell, they look fine:
>
> $ getfacl /
> # file: /
> # owner: Administrators
> # group: mkgroup_l_d
> user::rwx
> group::rwx
> group:SYSTEM:rwx
> mask:rwx
> other:rwx
> default:user:Administrators:rwx
> default:group:SYSTEM:rwx
> default:mask:rwx

Hmm, hopefully the Cygwin security experts will chime in here.  All I can
tell is the fact that the directory is owned by a group, and that you have
default permissions, looks suspicious.  Does your /etc/passwd contain the
Administrators user?

> I found that files with permission 000 are sometimes created when we run
> build scripts via ant. Just in case you are not familiar: ant is a tool
> for producing applications (used for similar tasks as one would use
> make), which is used a lot by Java developers. ant is a Java
> application, but of what I have seen, it uses the cygwin library
> (because it is platform independent). In most cases, things work fine,
> but sometimes, certain files are created with 000. We have never found
> out why this happens, and regularly do a chmod afterwards.

Must be something on your system -- probably some directory has weird
permissions which are inherited.  For the record: ant doesn't use any
Cygwin libraries, except that the invocation script uses /bin/sh.  Once
ant is invoked, it's a pure Java application.  Files created by Java
follow Windows permission inheritance rules.
	Igor
--

@ 2005-07-05  6:56 FischRon.external
From: FischRon.external @ 2005-07-05  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: pechtcha

> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, FischRon.external wrote:
>
> > After upgrading cygwin to the most recent version, I found that man
> > pages aren't displayed anymore; for example
> >
> >   $ man man
> >   Warning: cannot open configuration file /usr/share/misc/man.conf
>
> That's not good...
[snip]

@ 2005-07-04 15:35 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-07-04 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FischRon.external; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, FischRon.external wrote:

> After upgrading cygwin to the most recent version, I found that man
> pages aren't displayed anymore; for example
>
>   $ man man
>   Warning: cannot open configuration file /usr/share/misc/man.conf

That's not good...

> Then I saw that my MANPATH looks strange:
>
>   $ echo MANPATH
>   :/usr/ssl/man
>
> Note the leading column, which looks as if some part of the MANPATH has
> been cut off.

...but has nothing to do with this.  The leading colon is valid, and means
to take whatever the current man configuration says the MANPATH should be,
and *append* the content of the MANPATH variable.

> I fixed this by manually adjusting the MANPATH:
>
>   $ export MANPATH=/usr/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/ssl/man
>   $ man man
>
> Now it does display the man-page, but before this it also writes the
> aforementioned error message.

Sure it would.  You're missing a config file, and man can't forgive that.

> Next I did
>
>   $ /usr/sbin/makewhatis
>   $ man -k shell
>
> Now I get that error message *twice* (but then man -k displays an
> overview of the available shell commands, as expected). Now I checked
> /usr/share/misc and found that it has permissions 000. I chmod the
> permissions to 0777. Also I found that /usr/share/misc is empty, i.e.
> there is no file man.conf in it.

Ah, that could be the reason -- permissions 000 would make the postinstall
script fail when copying the man.conf file from its default location.  If
you haven't run setup since upgrading man, see if /var/log/setup.log.full
has any messages from /etc/postinstall/man.sh.

> I checked the man-page for man.conf, but there was no hint how this file
> usually is generated.

You should re-run /etc/postinstall/man.sh.done (or reinstall the man
package) to recreate man.conf.  This is a Cygwin-specific recipe, BTW.

> Of course I can live with this bug, since man eventually seems to do its
> job. Still I'm curious what is going wrong here. Any ideas?

Now that your /usr/share/misc has better permissions, future man upgrades
should work.  If I were you, I'd investigate *why* /usr/share/misc ended
up with 000 permissions in the first place (it's created by setup.exe
using the inherited Windows permissions -- are the ACLs on / too strict?).
What happened with man may happen much less obviously with other packages.
	Igor
--

@ 2005-07-04 12:45 FischRon.external
From: FischRon.external @ 2005-07-04 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)