* ssh problems
@ 2005-07-06  0:45 Eli Barzilay
From: Eli Barzilay @ 2005-07-06  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

(If this is not the right place for this, please direct me.)

I have recently updated an old Windows setup, including a new cygwing
installation.  We use this machine for nightly builds, using a shell
script that connects to multiple machines and runs the builds
(DevStudio in the Windows case).  With the new cygwin these builds
stopped with a mysterious error -- about 5 hours later I know that the
problem is with sshd and some permission problems.  After a brief look
at http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html, I tried moving my
.ssh away so I have to type a password, and indeed the build works
fine.

So it looks like devstudio is doing something that requires some
permissions that I don't get unless I physically type a password.  Is
there any way to solve this?  I've been trying to play with things
like ssh-host-config and stuff in the global CYGWIN, but nothing seem
to be making it work.

TIA,

* Re: ssh problems
@ 2005-07-06  2:15 ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2005-07-06  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Barzilay, cygwin

At 08:45 PM 7/5/2005, you wrote:
>(If this is not the right place for this, please direct me.)
>
>I have recently updated an old Windows setup, including a new cygwing
>installation.  We use this machine for nightly builds, using a shell
>script that connects to multiple machines and runs the builds
>(DevStudio in the Windows case).  With the new cygwin these builds
>stopped with a mysterious error -- about 5 hours later I know that the
>problem is with sshd and some permission problems.  After a brief look
>at http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html, I tried moving my
>.ssh away so I have to type a password, and indeed the build works
>fine.
>
>So it looks like devstudio is doing something that requires some
>permissions that I don't get unless I physically type a password.  Is
>there any way to solve this?  I've been trying to play with things
>like ssh-host-config and stuff in the global CYGWIN, but nothing seem
>to be making it work.

You'll need to figure out what that "something" is that DevStudio is
doing.  Sounds to me like you're trying to access a network drive
which requires authentication but that's just a WAG.  But, if you
think that's it, see:

Why don't my services work (or access network shares)?
<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_3.html#SEC33>

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: ssh problems
@ 2005-07-06  2:59   ` Eli Barzilay
From: Eli Barzilay @ 2005-07-06  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

On Jul  5, Larry Hall wrote:
> At 08:45 PM 7/5/2005, you wrote:
> >(If this is not the right place for this, please direct me.)
> >
> >I have recently updated an old Windows setup, including a new cygwing
> >installation.  We use this machine for nightly builds, using a shell
> >script that connects to multiple machines and runs the builds
> >(DevStudio in the Windows case).  With the new cygwin these builds
> >stopped with a mysterious error -- about 5 hours later I know that the
> >problem is with sshd and some permission problems.  After a brief look
> >at http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html, I tried moving my
> >.ssh away so I have to type a password, and indeed the build works
> >fine.
> >
> >So it looks like devstudio is doing something that requires some
> >permissions that I don't get unless I physically type a password.  Is
> >there any way to solve this?  I've been trying to play with things
> >like ssh-host-config and stuff in the global CYGWIN, but nothing seem
> >to be making it work.
>

> You'll need to figure out what that "something" is that DevStudio is
> doing.

Is there any way to finding this?  The most information I got was from
the Event Viewer:

  Application popup: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library : Runtime
  Error!

  Program: ...Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe

  This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
  unusual way.  Please contact the application's support team for more
  information.

> Sounds to me like you're trying to access a network drive which
> requires authentication but that's just a WAG.  But, if you think
> that's it, see:
>
> Why don't my services work (or access network shares)?
> <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_3.html#SEC33>

This did sound like something similar, but it doesn't look like it's
the problem.  My script doesn't use any shares, and in case DevStudio
does something funny I disconnected the only mapped share I had.
Don't know what a "WAG" is, and the above faq entry didn't help...

* RE: ssh problems
@ 2005-07-06  9:29     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-07-06  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
>> Sounds to me like you're trying to access a network drive which
>> requires authentication but that's just a WAG.

> Don't know what a "WAG" is, and the above faq entry didn't help...

http://cygwin.com/acronyms#WAG  :)

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: ssh problems
@ 2005-07-09 18:55     ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2005-07-09 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Eli Barzilay

On Tue July 5 2005 22:59, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> On Jul  5, Larry Hall wrote:
> > At 08:45 PM 7/5/2005, you wrote:
> > >(If this is not the right place for this, please direct me.)
> > >
> > >I have recently updated an old Windows setup, including a new cygwing
> > >installation.  We use this machine for nightly builds, using a shell
> > >script that connects to multiple machines and runs the builds
> > >(DevStudio in the Windows case).  With the new cygwin these builds
> > >stopped with a mysterious error -- about 5 hours later I know that the
> > >problem is with sshd and some permission problems.  After a brief look
> > >at http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html, I tried moving my
> > >.ssh away so I have to type a password, and indeed the build works
> > >fine.
> > >
> > >So it looks like devstudio is doing something that requires some
> > >permissions that I don't get unless I physically type a password.  Is
> > >there any way to solve this?  I've been trying to play with things
> > >like ssh-host-config and stuff in the global CYGWIN, but nothing seem
> > >to be making it work.
> >
> > You'll need to figure out what that "something" is that DevStudio is
> > doing.
>
> Is there any way to finding this?  The most information I got was from
> the Event Viewer:
>
>   Application popup: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library : Runtime
>   Error!
>
>   Program: ...Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
>
>   This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
>   unusual way.  Please contact the application's support team for more
>   information.
>
>   For more information, see Help and Support Center at
>   http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

When running through sshd, you're running via a service.  Authenticating
without a password means that Windows won't authenticate as the user you are.
The reverse is also true.  So it's possible that VS needs access to some
information that it doesn't have access to without being authenticated by
Windows.  I could hazard a guess or two as to what that might be but a
better approach would be to just check the MSDN and on-line sources for
the different access restrictions of services that don't authenticate with
Windows.  Sorry that's not much help, beyond the idea itself.

--
Larry

* Re: ssh problems
@ 2005-07-11  0:15       ` Eli Barzilay
From: Eli Barzilay @ 2005-07-11  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall; +Cc: cygwin

On Jul  9, Larry Hall wrote:
> When running through sshd, you're running via a service.  Authenticating
> without a password means that Windows won't authenticate as the user you are.
> The reverse is also true.  So it's possible that VS needs access to some
> information that it doesn't have access to without being authenticated by
> Windows.  I could hazard a guess or two as to what that might be but a
> better approach would be to just check the MSDN and on-line sources for
> the different access restrictions of services that don't authenticate with
> Windows.  Sorry that's not much help, beyond the idea itself.

For unrelated reasons, I will be debugging this thing remotely via
vnc.  This makes he whole deal a lot more complex.  But the thing is
that I won't mind a dirty solution -- is there a way to do this by
reducing security somehow?  Perhaps there is a way to start sshd in a
different way?  (After all, this thing *used* to work just fine with
an older cygwin installation...)

* Re: ssh problems
@ 2005-07-11  3:08         ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2005-07-11  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Barzilay; +Cc: cygwin

At 08:15 PM 7/10/2005, you wrote:
>On Jul  9, Larry Hall wrote:
>> When running through sshd, you're running via a service.  Authenticating
>> without a password means that Windows won't authenticate as the user you are.
>> The reverse is also true.  So it's possible that VS needs access to some
>> information that it doesn't have access to without being authenticated by
>> Windows.  I could hazard a guess or two as to what that might be but a
>> better approach would be to just check the MSDN and on-line sources for
>> the different access restrictions of services that don't authenticate with
>> Windows.  Sorry that's not much help, beyond the idea itself.
>
>For unrelated reasons, I will be debugging this thing remotely via
>vnc.  This makes he whole deal a lot more complex.  But the thing is
>that I won't mind a dirty solution -- is there a way to do this by
>reducing security somehow?  Perhaps there is a way to start sshd in a
>different way?  (After all, this thing *used* to work just fine with
>an older cygwin installation...)

Eli, please send all replies to the list only.   That is why I set my
"Reply-To" to point to the Cygwin list.   There's no need to force a
reply to me directly as I read the list as much as I do my personal
email.  Sometimes more. ;-)

To be honest, I'm not sure what changed on this machine where you're
noticing this problem so I don't know specifically what to suggest you
check to find the problem.  The symptoms you report suggest that
using public key authentication doesn't allow you access to some
resource that VS needs but without further details, it's not possible
to say what's getting in the way.  Obviously, as you've found, one
solution is to use password authentication, which uses Windows password
authentication so that Windows knows you're you (which isn't the case
with public key authentication - Windows still believes the *authenticated*
user is the user running the service, which is the SYSTEM user by default,
except on W2K3).  The typical problem in these cases is accessing shared
drives, which is why I pointed you in that direction first.  I'm not aware
of other resources that are commonly restricted, though that doesn't mean
there aren't some or that your system administrator hasn't added some.  So
this could be worth checking.  Then there's always running sshd as the user
you want to run the builds.  This should eliminate any authentication
problems but it does limit the usefulness of sshd since it's now
affectively a one-person service, though you could certainly run two
sshds, with this "special" sshd running on a different port.

But I think it's fair to say that the detailed information you've provided
so far on this issue is quite limited.  If you're looking for more help, I
think it makes sense to point you to the problem reporting guidelines at:

<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

Please read these guidelines thoroughly and provide the requested information
in any follow-up you make to the list on this issue.  Beyond the
configuration information requested, the most helpful feedback you could
give is a simple example that shows this problem.  It's possible that in
the preparation of such an example, you actually find the problem yourself.
But, if not, that will provide others with a basis for reproducing and
debugging the problem.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: ssh problems
@ 2005-07-11  3:35         ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-07-11  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Barzilay; +Cc: cygwin

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, Eli Barzilay wrote:

> On Jul  9, Larry Hall wrote:
> > When running through sshd, you're running via a service.
> > Authenticating without a password means that Windows won't
> > authenticate as the user you are. The reverse is also true.  So it's
> > possible that VS needs access to some information that it doesn't have
> > access to without being authenticated by Windows.  I could hazard a
> > guess or two as to what that might be but a better approach would be
> > to just check the MSDN and on-line sources for the different access
> > restrictions of services that don't authenticate with Windows.  Sorry
> > that's not much help, beyond the idea itself.
>
> For unrelated reasons, I will be debugging this thing remotely via vnc.
> This makes he whole deal a lot more complex.  But the thing is that I
> won't mind a dirty solution -- is there a way to do this by reducing
> security somehow?  Perhaps there is a way to start sshd in a different
> way?  (After all, this thing *used* to work just fine with an older
> cygwin installation...)

Since you don't seem to have followed the Cygwin problem reporting
guidelines at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>, we don't know what
version of Cygwin you've installed (please pay particular attention to the
part in bold (about attaching the output of "cygcheck -svr").

Another WAG.  If, as you say, it used to work before, you may be hitting
traverse checking, which was turned on by default in a couple of newer
Cygwin versions.  The path to the necessary files may have been
inaccessible to the SYSTEM user, though the files themselves were.  This
didn't matter for older Cygwin versions, but did in those ones.  Try
running sshd with 'notraverse' in $CYGWIN.  If that solves your problem,
remove 'notraverse' and open the access to whatever directories DevStudio
needs (you can use, for example, SysInternals' filemon to find out what
those are).

Another thing to try is to get a system-owned shell and run DevStudio from
it -- I'd guess you'll get the same errors.  That may be problematic to do
via VNC, though.

In any case, try running the filemon tool and allow access to all of the
files it reports to the "SYSTEM" user.  I think that might fix your
problem.

As a last resort, again, since this used to work, try running sshd under
strace (be prepared for a HUGE output file).  Look through that trace to
see when DevStudio runs -- if any Cygwin processes are invoked, see if
they report access errors.  This is something you'll need to do locally,
though -- please don't send strace output to the list (if you have the web
space, it may be ok to post a link to it, just in case someone is
interested -- but only if Cygwin is involved).
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: ssh problems
@ 2005-07-11  9:37           ` Eli Barzilay
From: Eli Barzilay @ 2005-07-11  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

On Jul 10, Larry Hall wrote:

> Eli, please send all replies to the list only.  That is why I set my
> "Reply-To" to point to the Cygwin list.  There's no need to force a
> reply to me directly as I read the list as much as I do my personal
> email.  Sometimes more. ;-)

Sorry, that was unintended.  (Not using my sual conf.)

> [...]  Then there's always running sshd as the user you want to run
> the builds.  This should eliminate any authentication problems but
> it does limit the usefulness of sshd since it's now affectively a
> one-person service, though you could certainly run two sshds, with
> this "special" sshd running on a different port.

I will probably try that.

(BTW, is there cron-like functionality that can behave as different
users?  Something that can be used to start sshd if the macine
reboots.)

> But I think it's fair to say that the detailed information you've
> provided so far on this issue is quite limited.  [...]

I know -- the thing is that I only got that stupid error message,
uninformative to the point that it took me several hours to focus on
ssh-related permission.  I'll try to see if I can get some more
information when I'm back in my office, but I'm not too optimistic...

* Re: ssh problems
@ 2005-07-11 13:31             ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-07-11 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Barzilay; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Eli Barzilay wrote:

> (BTW, is there cron-like functionality that can behave as different
> users?  Something that can be used to start sshd if the macine
> reboots.)

Huh?  I thought cygrunsrv did that by default, unless one specified "-t
manual"...

> > But I think it's fair to say that the detailed information you've
> > provided so far on this issue is quite limited.  [...]
>
> I'll try to see if I can get some more information when I'm back in my
> office, but I'm not too optimistic...

One bit of information you can get remotely is running "cygcheck -svr".
Please attach the output of that to one of the messages in this thread,
so that we know enough about your system to try to help.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: ssh problems
@ 2005-07-18  0:58           ` Eli Barzilay
From: Eli Barzilay @ 2005-07-18  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

On Jul 10, Larry Hall wrote:
> [...]
> Then there's always running sshd as the user you want to run the
> builds.  This should eliminate any authentication problems but it
> does limit the usefulness of sshd since it's now affectively a
> one-person service, though you could certainly run two sshds, with
> this "special" sshd running on a different port.

When I try that (after shutting down the existing sshd with cygrunsrv
-E) I get errors when trying to access private key files in /etc.  How
do I make them accessible to my user?  Maybe there is some simple way
to make it so that sshd always runs as me instead of the system thing?
I don't mind making it a one person service since this is used only by
my script for our nighly builds (and at this point I'll go with
anything that works...).

> But I think it's fair to say that the detailed information you've
> provided so far on this issue is quite limited.  If you're looking
> for more help, I think it makes sense to point you to the problem
> reporting guidelines at:
>
> <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>
>
> Please read these guidelines thoroughly and provide the requested
> information in any follow-up you make to the list on this issue.
> Beyond the configuration information requested, the most helpful
> feedback you could give is a simple example that shows this problem.
> It's possible that in the preparation of such an example, you
> actually find the problem yourself.  But, if not, that will provide
> others with a basis for reproducing and debugging the problem.

cygcheck's output is below as specified on the web page.  This is from
an ssh session, which shows something weird -- I set the environment
variable to include "notraverse" in CYGWIN (as suggested by Igor), and
I do see it when running a bash shell on the machine (via VNC), but
not through ssh.  I can't really specify an easy way to reproduce the
problem, since it involves installing DevStudio (7.1, FWIW), and
trying to invoke it through a public-key based ssh session.

On Jul 10, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> [...]
> Another WAG.

(What is a WAG??)

> If, as you say, it used to work before, you may be hitting traverse
> checking, which was turned on by default in a couple of newer Cygwin
> versions.  The path to the necessary files may have been
> inaccessible to the SYSTEM user, though the files themselves were.
> This didn't matter for older Cygwin versions, but did in those ones.
> Try running sshd with 'notraverse' in $CYGWIN.  If that solves your
> problem, remove 'notraverse' and open the access to whatever
> directories DevStudio needs (you can use, for example, SysInternals'
> filemon to find out what those are).

I tried that, and like I said above -- the strange thing is that the
ssh shell gets a different value for CYGWIN, omitting the
"notraverse"...  Unsurprisingly, things still get stuck in the same
way.

> Another thing to try is to get a system-owned shell and run
> DevStudio from it -- I'd guess you'll get the same errors.  That may
> be problematic to do via VNC, though.

How do I start such a shell?  VNC seems to be working fine.

> In any case, try running the filemon tool and allow access to all of the
> files it reports to the "SYSTEM" user.  I think that might fix your
> problem.
>
> As a last resort, again, since this used to work, try running sshd
> under strace (be prepared for a HUGE output file).  Look through
> that trace to see when DevStudio runs -- if any Cygwin processes are
> invoked, see if they report access errors.  This is something you'll
> need to do locally, though

It seems like I will be able to do that, using VNC to work locally
if/when sshd is down -- but where is ssh invoked from?  (I don't want
to kill it and start one manually, since I'm sure it will be
different.)

> -- please don't send strace output to the list (if you have the web
> space, it may be ok to post a link to it, just in case someone is
> interested -- but only if Cygwin is involved).

(Yes, I'm aware of the sizes it can get to.)

On Jul 11, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Eli Barzilay wrote:
>
> > (BTW, is there cron-like functionality that can behave as different
> > users?  Something that can be used to start sshd if the macine
> > reboots.)
>
> Huh?  I thought cygrunsrv did that by default, unless one specified
> "-t manual"...

> One bit of information you can get remotely is running "cygcheck
> -svr".  Please attach the output of that to one of the messages in
> this thread, so that we know enough about your system to try to
> help.

Output of "cygcheck -svr" follows

Cygwin Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Sun Jul 17 20:13:32 2005

Windows XP Professional Ver 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2

Path:	C:\cygwin\home\eli\bin\local
	C:\cygwin\home\eli\bin
	C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin
	C:\cygwin\bin
	C:\cygwin\bin
	C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin
	C:\cygwin\usr\local\sbin
	C:\cygwin\usr\sbin
	C:\cygwin\sbin
	c:\WINDOWS\system32
	c:\WINDOWS
	c:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
	c:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel

Output from C:\cygwin\bin\id.exe (nontsec)
UID: 1003(eli)       GID: 513(None)
0(root)              513(None)            544(Administrators)
545(Users)           1004(Debugger Users)

Output from C:\cygwin\bin\id.exe (ntsec)
UID: 1003(eli)       GID: 513(None)
0(root)              513(None)            544(Administrators)
545(Users)           1004(Debugger Users)

SysDir: C:\WINDOWS\system32
WinDir: C:\WINDOWS

CYGWIN = `ntsec tty'
USER = `eli'
HOME = `/home/eli'
PWD = `/f/plt/src/worksp/mzscheme'
MAKE_MODE = `unix'

ALLUSERSPROFILE = `C:\Documents and Settings\All Users'
COMMONPROGRAMFILES = `C:\Program Files\Common Files'
COMPUTERNAME = `PITCAIRN'
COMSPEC = `C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe'
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS = `1'
OS = `Windows_NT'
PATHEXT = `.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH'
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE = `x86'
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER = `x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 4, AuthenticAMD'
PROCESSOR_LEVEL = `6'
PROCESSOR_REVISION = `0404'
PROGRAMFILES = `C:\Program Files'
SYSTEMDRIVE = `C:'
SYSTEMROOT = `C:\WINDOWS'
TEMP = `/c/WINDOWS/TEMP'
TMP = `/c/WINDOWS/TEMP'
WINDIR = `C:\WINDOWS'
LOGNAME = `eli'
MAIL = `/var/spool/mail/eli'
SHELL = `/bin/zsh'
TZ = `EST5EDT4,M4.1.0/2,M10.5.0/2'
SSH_CLIENT = `129.10.115.117 40860 22'
SSH_CONNECTION = `129.10.115.117 40860 129.10.115.112 22'
SSH_TTY = `/dev/tty0'
TERM = `dumb'
HOMEDRIVE = `C:'
HOMEPATH = `\cygwin\home\eli'
LOGONSERVER = `\\PITCAIRN'
USERDOMAIN = `PITCAIRN'
USERPROFILE = `C:\Documents and Settings\eli'
SHLVL = `1'
OLDPWD = `/home/eli'
LC_COLLATE = `POSIX'
LANG = `en_US'
LOCALDOMAIN = `ccs.neu.edu lcs.mit.edu cs.cornell.edu cs.columbia.edu'
CVS_RSH = `/bin/ssh'
PLTCOLLECTS = `/home/eli/scheme/my-plt:'
MANPATH = `/usr/local/man:/usr/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/autotool/devel/man::/usr/ssl/man'
INFOPATH = `/usr/local/info:/usr/info:/usr/share/info:/usr/autotool/devel/info:/usr/autotool/stable/info:'
PKG_CONFIG_PATH = `/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig'
PS1 = `%{^[]0;%/\a
^[[32m%}(%n@%m)[%h] %{^[[33m%}%~%{^[[0m%}
$ '
EDITOR = `hacked-emacsclient'
ALTERNATE_EDITOR = `vi +%d %s'
LS_COLORS = `no=00:fi=00:di=01;33;41:ln=01;36:pi=40;34:so=01;35:bd=40;33;01:cd=40;33;01:or=01;05;37;41:mi=01;05;37;41:ex=01;32:*.cmd=01;32:*.exe=01;32:*.com=01;32:*.btm=01;32:*.bat=01;32:*.sh=01;32:*.csh=01;32:*.tar=01;31:*.tgz=01;31:*.arj=01;31:*.taz=01;31:*.lzh=01;31:*.zip=01;31:*.z=01;31:*.Z=01;31:*.gz=01;31:*.bz2=01;31:*.bz=01;31:*.tz=01;31:*.rpm=01;31:*.cpio=01;31:*.jpg=01;35:*.gif=01;35:*.bmp=01;35:*.xbm=01;35:*.xpm=01;35:*.png=01;35:*.tif=01;35:'
_ = `/usr/bin/cygcheck'
POSIXLY_CORRECT = `1'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
  (default) = `/'
  cygdrive flags = 0x0000002a
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/
  (default) = `C:\cygwin'
  flags = 0x0000000a
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/bin
  (default) = `C:\cygwin/bin'
  flags = 0x0000000a
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/lib
  (default) = `C:\cygwin/lib'
  flags = 0x0000000a
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options

a:  fd             N/A    N/A
c:  hd  NTFS    131061Mb   6% CP CS UN PA FC
d:  hd  NTFS     44312Mb  43% CP CS UN PA FC
e:  hd  FAT32     7985Mb   1% CP    UN           STUFF
f:  hd  FAT32     7985Mb   5% CP    UN           PLT BUILD
g:  hd  NTFS     16002Mb 100% CP CS UN PA FC     New Volume
h:  cd             N/A    N/A
i:  cd             N/A    N/A

C:\cygwin      /         system  binmode
C:\cygwin/bin  /usr/bin  system  binmode
C:\cygwin/lib  /usr/lib  system  binmode
.              /         system  binmode,cygdrive

Found: C:\cygwin\bin\awk.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\cat.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\cp.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\cpp.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\find.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\gcc.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\gdb.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\grep.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\ld.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\ls.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\make.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\mv.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\rm.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\sed.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\tar.exe

   93k 2005/02/17 C:\cygwin\bin\cygapr-0-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygapr-0-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/17 16:52
   68k 2005/02/17 C:\cygwin\bin\cygaprutil-0-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygaprutil-0-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/17 16:56
   55k 2004/09/14 C:\cygwin\bin\cygbz2-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygbz2-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/9/14 0:16
   54k 2002/01/27 C:\cygwin\bin\cygbz21.0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygbz21.0.dll" v0.0 ts=2002/1/26 20:07
   18k 2004/07/06 C:\cygwin\bin\cygcharset-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygcharset-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/7/6 14:09
    7k 2003/10/19 C:\cygwin\bin\cygcrypt-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygcrypt-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/10/19 3:57
  858k 2005/04/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cygcrypto-0.9.7.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygcrypto-0.9.7.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/4/11 14:21
  617k 2004/03/22 C:\cygwin\bin\cygcurl-2.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygcurl-2.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/3/22 10:52
  895k 2004/04/28 C:\cygwin\bin\cygdb-4.2.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygdb-4.2.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/4/27 11:31
 1156k 2004/04/28 C:\cygwin\bin\cygdb_cxx-4.2.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygdb_cxx-4.2.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/4/27 11:35
  174k 2004/10/14 C:\cygwin\bin\cygexpat-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygexpat-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/10/14 4:34
   65k 2005/01/08 C:\cygwin\bin\cygexslt-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygexslt-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/1/8 8:27
  129k 2004/03/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cygfontconfig-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygfontconfig-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/3/10 19:12
   40k 2004/10/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygform-8.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygform-8.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/10/10 4:33
   45k 2001/04/25 C:\cygwin\bin\cygform5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygform5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/4/25 1:28
   35k 2002/01/09 C:\cygwin\bin\cygform6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygform6.dll" v0.0 ts=2002/1/9 1:03
   48k 2003/08/09 C:\cygwin\bin\cygform7.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygform7.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/8/9 5:25
  907k 2004/06/09 C:\cygwin\bin\cygfpx-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygfpx-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/6/9 4:35
  361k 2003/10/25 C:\cygwin\bin\cygfreetype-6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygfreetype-6.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/10/22 0:18
  222k 2005/01/13 C:\cygwin\bin\cyggd-2.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyggd-2.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/1/13 10:56
   28k 2003/07/20 C:\cygwin\bin\cyggdbm-3.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyggdbm-3.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/7/20 3:58
   30k 2003/08/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cyggdbm-4.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyggdbm-4.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/8/10 22:12
   19k 2003/03/22 C:\cygwin\bin\cyggdbm.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyggdbm.dll" v0.0 ts=2002/2/19 22:05
   15k 2003/07/20 C:\cygwin\bin\cyggdbm_compat-3.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyggdbm_compat-3.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/7/20 4:00
   15k 2003/08/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cyggdbm_compat-4.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyggdbm_compat-4.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/8/10 22:13
  107k 2004/07/06 C:\cygwin\bin\cyggettextlib-0-14-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyggettextlib-0-14-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/7/6 13:56
   17k 2004/07/06 C:\cygwin\bin\cyggettextpo-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyggettextpo-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/7/6 13:56
  190k 2004/07/06 C:\cygwin\bin\cyggettextsrc-0-14-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyggettextsrc-0-14-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/7/6 13:56
  135k 2004/09/02 C:\cygwin\bin\cygglib-1-2-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygglib-1-2-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/9/2 14:21
  564k 2004/12/30 C:\cygwin\bin\cygglib-2.0-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygglib-2.0-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/12/30 9:17
   11k 2004/09/02 C:\cygwin\bin\cyggmodule-1-2-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyggmodule-1-2-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/9/2 14:23
   11k 2004/12/30 C:\cygwin\bin\cyggmodule-2.0-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyggmodule-2.0-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/12/30 9:21
  158k 2004/10/16 C:\cygwin\bin\cyggmp-3.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyggmp-3.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/10/16 3:40
  288k 2004/10/16 C:\cygwin\bin\cyggmpxx-3.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyggmpxx-3.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/10/16 3:40
  252k 2004/12/30 C:\cygwin\bin\cyggobject-2.0-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyggobject-2.0-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/12/30 9:20
  351k 2004/07/17 C:\cygwin\bin\cygGraphicsMagick++-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygGraphicsMagick++-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/7/17 4:48
 2170k 2004/07/17 C:\cygwin\bin\cygGraphicsMagick-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygGraphicsMagick-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/7/17 4:46
 1412k 2005/03/12 C:\cygwin\bin\cyggsl-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyggsl-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/3/12 16:26
  184k 2005/03/12 C:\cygwin\bin\cyggslcblas-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyggslcblas-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/3/12 16:02
   10k 2004/09/02 C:\cygwin\bin\cyggthread-1-2-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyggthread-1-2-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/9/2 14:23
   15k 2004/12/30 C:\cygwin\bin\cyggthread-2.0-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyggthread-2.0-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/12/30 9:21
   17k 2001/06/28 C:\cygwin\bin\cyghistory4.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyghistory4.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/6 23:34
   29k 2003/08/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cyghistory5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyghistory5.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/8/10 19:16
   24k 2005/06/26 C:\cygwin\bin\cyghistory6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyghistory6.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/6/26 0:41
  991k 2004/07/06 C:\cygwin\bin\cygiconv-2.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygiconv-2.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/7/6 14:10
  147k 2004/08/31 C:\cygwin\bin\cygIDL-2-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygIDL-2-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/8/30 22:00
   22k 2001/12/13 C:\cygwin\bin\cygintl-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygintl-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/12/13 4:28
   37k 2003/08/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygintl-2.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygintl-2.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/8/10 17:50
   54k 2004/07/06 C:\cygwin\bin\cygintl-3.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygintl-3.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/7/6 13:51
   21k 2001/06/20 C:\cygwin\bin\cygintl.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygintl.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/6/20 13:09
   12k 2003/02/17 C:\cygwin\bin\cygioperm-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygioperm-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/2/17 14:58
  241k 2004/08/06 C:\cygwin\bin\cygjasper-1-701-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygjasper-1-701-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/8/6 11:17
   48k 2003/08/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygjbig1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygjbig1.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/8/10 19:58
  132k 2003/08/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cygjpeg-62.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygjpeg-62.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/8/10 20:37
  119k 2002/02/09 C:\cygwin\bin\cygjpeg6b.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygjpeg6b.dll" v0.0 ts=2002/2/9 0:19
  156k 2004/06/04 C:\cygwin\bin\cyglcms-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyglcms-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/6/4 10:00
  146k 2004/12/21 C:\cygwin\bin\cygmagic-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygmagic-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/12/21 9:34
  369k 2004/08/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cygMagick++-6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygMagick++-6.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/8/11 2:04
 3214k 2004/08/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cygMagick-6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygMagick-6.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/8/11 1:37
  181k 2003/10/06 C:\cygwin\bin\cygmcrypt-4.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygmcrypt-4.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/10/6 10:54
   22k 2004/10/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygmenu-8.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygmenu-8.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/10/10 4:33
   26k 2001/04/25 C:\cygwin\bin\cygmenu5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygmenu5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/4/25 1:27
   20k 2002/01/09 C:\cygwin\bin\cygmenu6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygmenu6.dll" v0.0 ts=2002/1/9 1:03
   29k 2003/08/09 C:\cygwin\bin\cygmenu7.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygmenu7.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/8/9 5:25
   21k 2004/10/22 C:\cygwin\bin\cygminires.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygminires.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/10/22 16:28
  323k 2004/08/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygmng-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygmng-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/8/10 15:45
   71k 2004/10/16 C:\cygwin\bin\cygmp-3.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygmp-3.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/10/16 3:40
   95k 2004/10/16 C:\cygwin\bin\cygmpfr-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygmpfr-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/10/16 3:47
   74k 2004/10/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygncurses++-8.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygncurses++-8.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/10/10 4:33
  156k 2001/04/25 C:\cygwin\bin\cygncurses++5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygncurses++5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/4/25 1:29
  175k 2002/01/09 C:\cygwin\bin\cygncurses++6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygncurses++6.dll" v0.0 ts=2002/1/9 1:03
  216k 2004/10/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygncurses-8.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygncurses-8.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/10/10 4:25
  226k 2001/04/25 C:\cygwin\bin\cygncurses5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygncurses5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/4/25 1:17
  202k 2002/01/09 C:\cygwin\bin\cygncurses6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygncurses6.dll" v0.0 ts=2002/1/9 1:03
  224k 2003/08/09 C:\cygwin\bin\cygncurses7.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygncurses7.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/8/9 5:24
   92k 2004/07/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygneon-24.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygneon-24.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/7/10 11:37
  304k 2004/10/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cygORBit-2-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygORBit-2-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/10/11 19:18
   39k 2004/10/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cygORBit-imodule-2-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygORBit-imodule-2-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/10/11 19:28
   18k 2004/10/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cygORBitCosNaming-2-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygORBitCosNaming-2-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/10/11 19:27
   13k 2004/10/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygpanel-8.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpanel-8.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/10/10 4:32
   15k 2001/04/25 C:\cygwin\bin\cygpanel5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpanel5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/4/25 1:27
   12k 2002/01/09 C:\cygwin\bin\cygpanel6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpanel6.dll" v0.0 ts=2002/1/9 1:03
   19k 2003/08/09 C:\cygwin\bin\cygpanel7.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpanel7.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/8/9 5:24
  196k 2005/01/08 C:\cygwin\bin\cygpango-1.0-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpango-1.0-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/1/8 16:19
  138k 2005/01/08 C:\cygwin\bin\cygpangoft2-1.0-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpangoft2-1.0-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/1/8 16:36
   33k 2005/01/08 C:\cygwin\bin\cygpangowin32-1.0-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpangowin32-1.0-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/1/8 16:39
   37k 2005/01/08 C:\cygwin\bin\cygpangox-1.0-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpangox-1.0-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/1/8 16:35
   17k 2005/01/08 C:\cygwin\bin\cygpangoxft-1.0-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpangoxft-1.0-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/1/8 16:38
   62k 2003/12/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cygpcre-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpcre-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/12/11 12:01
   63k 2003/04/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cygpcre.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpcre.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/4/11 4:31
    9k 2003/12/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cygpcreposix-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpcreposix-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/12/11 12:01
   61k 2003/04/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cygpcreposix.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpcreposix.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/4/11 4:31
 1252k 2005/01/27 C:\cygwin\bin\cygperl5_8.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygperl5_8.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/1/27 5:17
  168k 2003/08/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygpng10.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpng10.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/8/10 18:31
  173k 2003/08/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygpng12.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpng12.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/8/10 18:35
  170k 2002/01/21 C:\cygwin\bin\cygpng2.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpng2.dll" v0.0 ts=2002/1/20 20:05
   22k 2002/06/09 C:\cygwin\bin\cygpopt-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpopt-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2002/6/9 1:45
  108k 2001/06/28 C:\cygwin\bin\cygreadline4.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygreadline4.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/6 23:34
  148k 2003/08/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygreadline5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygreadline5.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/8/10 19:16
  144k 2005/06/26 C:\cygwin\bin\cygreadline6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygreadline6.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/6/26 0:41
  171k 2005/04/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cygssl-0.9.7.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygssl-0.9.7.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/4/11 14:21
  134k 2005/06/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygsvn_client-1-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygsvn_client-1-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/6/10 17:25
   27k 2005/06/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygsvn_delta-1-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygsvn_delta-1-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/6/10 17:21
   22k 2005/06/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygsvn_diff-1-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygsvn_diff-1-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/6/10 17:23
   15k 2005/06/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygsvn_fs-1-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygsvn_fs-1-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/6/10 17:22
  127k 2005/06/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygsvn_fs_base-1-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygsvn_fs_base-1-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/6/10 17:22
   88k 2005/06/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygsvn_fs_fs-1-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygsvn_fs_fs-1-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/6/10 17:21
    9k 2005/06/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygsvn_ra-1-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygsvn_ra-1-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/6/10 17:24
   85k 2005/06/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygsvn_ra_dav-1-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygsvn_ra_dav-1-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/6/10 17:23
   19k 2005/06/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygsvn_ra_local-1-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygsvn_ra_local-1-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/6/10 17:23
   55k 2005/06/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygsvn_ra_svn-1-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygsvn_ra_svn-1-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/6/10 17:22
   98k 2005/06/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygsvn_repos-1-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygsvn_repos-1-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/6/10 17:23
  130k 2005/06/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygsvn_subr-1-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygsvn_subr-1-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/6/10 17:10
   25k 2005/06/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygsvn_swig_py-1-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygsvn_swig_py-1-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/6/10 17:26
  146k 2005/06/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygsvn_wc-1-0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygsvn_wc-1-0.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/6/10 17:24
  299k 2004/10/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygtiff-5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtiff-5.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/10/10 17:55
  282k 2003/08/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cygtiff4.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtiff4.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/8/10 22:32
   27k 2004/03/05 C:\cygwin\bin\cygungif-4.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygungif-4.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/3/5 15:13
  154k 2004/08/11 C:\cygwin\bin\cygWand-6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygWand-6.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/8/11 2:04
 1242k 2005/01/08 C:\cygwin\bin\cygxml2-2.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygxml2-2.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/1/8 8:22
  195k 2005/01/08 C:\cygwin\bin\cygxslt-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygxslt-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/1/8 8:24
   62k 2004/10/10 C:\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygz.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/10/10 0:09
 1265k 2005/07/03 C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/7/2 20:30
    Cygwin DLL version info:
        DLL version: 1.5.18
        DLL epoch: 19
        DLL bad signal mask: 19005
        DLL old termios: 5
        DLL malloc env: 28
        API major: 0
        API minor: 132
        Shared data: 4
        DLL identifier: cygwin1
        Mount registry: 2
        Cygnus registry name: Cygnus Solutions
        Cygwin registry name: Cygwin
        Program options name: Program Options
        Cygwin mount registry name: mounts v2
        Cygdrive flags: cygdrive flags
        Cygdrive prefix: cygdrive prefix
        Cygdrive default prefix:
        Build date: Sat Jul 2 20:30:04 EDT 2005
        Shared id: cygwin1S4

  243k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygdps-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygdps-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:42
   26k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygdpstk-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygdpstk-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:42
   21k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygfontenc-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygfontenc-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:45
   36k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygFS-6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygFS-6.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:34
  358k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygGL-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygGL-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:39
  438k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygGLU-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygGLU-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:41
  140k 2004/08/06 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygglut-3.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygglut-3.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/8/6 10:43
   75k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygICE-6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygICE-6.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:28
    9k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygoldX-6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygoldX-6.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:28
 1413k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygOSMesa-4.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygOSMesa-4.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:39
   20k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygpsres-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpsres-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:42
   30k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygSM-6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygSM-6.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:28
  877k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygX11-6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygX11-6.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:28
  254k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXaw-6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXaw-6.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:31
  356k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXaw-7.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXaw-7.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:32
  363k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXaw-8.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXaw-8.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:33
  275k 2004/01/13 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXaw3d-7.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXaw3d-7.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/1/13 17:17
    9k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXcomposite-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXcomposite-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:44
   30k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXcursor-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXcursor-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:43
    9k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXdamage-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXdamage-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:44
    7k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXevie-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXevie-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:43
   49k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXext-6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXext-6.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:28
   16k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXfixes-3.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXfixes-3.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:43
   56k 2004/03/11 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXft-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXft-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2003/11/17 20:42
   63k 2004/03/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXft-2.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXft-2.dll" v0.0 ts=2004/3/23 17:20
   27k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXi-6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXi-6.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:34
  125k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygxkbfile-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygxkbfile-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:34
   12k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygxkbui-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygxkbui-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:34
   76k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXmu-6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXmu-6.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:30
   11k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXmuu-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXmuu-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:30
   26k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXp-6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXp-6.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:31
   52k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXpm-4.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXpm-4.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:30
   12k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXrandr-2.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXrandr-2.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:43
   28k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXrender-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXrender-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:42
    8k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXRes-1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXRes-1.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:43
   40k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygxrx-6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygxrx-6.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:53
   25k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygxrxnest-6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygxrxnest-6.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:53
  282k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXt-6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXt-6.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:29
   27k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXTrap-6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXTrap-6.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:43
   17k 2005/02/23 C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXtst-6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXtst-6.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/2/23 9:34

Service             : sshd
Display name        : CYGWIN sshd
Current State       : Running
Controls Accepted   : Stop
Command             : /usr/sbin/sshd -D
stdin path          : /dev/null
stdout path         : /var/log/sshd.log
stderr path         : /var/log/sshd.log
Environment         : CYGWIN="ntsec tty"
Process Type        : Own Process
Startup             : Automatic
Account             : LocalSystem

Cygwin Package Information
Last downloaded files to: C:\Documents and Settings\eli\Desktop
Last downloaded files from: ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sources.redhat.com/ftp/cygwin

Package              Version
_update-info-dir     00272-1
alternatives         1.3.20a-1
apr                  0.9.6-1
apr-util             0.9.6-1
ash                  20040127-1
autoconf             2.59-2
autoconf2.1          2.13-1
autoconf2.5          2.59-1
automake1.4          1.4p6-2
automake1.6          1.6.3-2
automake1.7          1.7.9-2
automake1.8          1.8.5-2
automake1.9          1.9.5-2
autossh              1.3-2
base-files           3.4-2
base-passwd          2.2-1
bash                 2.05b-17
bc                   1.06-2
binutils             20050608-2
bison                20030307-1
byacc                1.9-1
bzip2                1.0.2-6
cabextract           0.6-2
ccache               2.2-1
ccdoc                0.8.41-2
ccrypt               1.7-1
clear                1.0-1
cmake                2.0.6-1
coreutils            5.3.0-6
cpio                 2.6-3
cramfs               1.1-1
cron                 3.0.1-19
crypt                1.1-1
ctags                5.5-4
curl                 7.11.1-1
curl-devel           7.11.1-1
cvs                  1.11.17-1
cvsutils             0.2.3-1
cygrunsrv            1.10-1
cygutils             1.2.8-1
cygwin               1.5.18-1
cygwin-doc           1.4-2
d                    1.2.0-1
dejagnu              20021217-2
diffstat             1.39-1
diffutils            2.8.7-1
distcc               2.18.3-1
doxygen              1.4.2_20050421-1
dpkg                 1.10.4-2
ed                   0.2-1
editrights           1.01-1
ELFIO                1.0.2-1
emacs                21.2-13
emacs-X11            21.2-13
expat                1.95.8-1
expect               20030128-1
file                 4.12-1
findutils            20041227-1
flex                 2.5.4a-3
fontconfig           2.2.2-1
freeglut             2.2.0-1
freetype2            2.1.5-1
gawk                 3.1.4-3
gcc                  3.4.4-1
gcc-ada              3.4.4-1
gcc-core             3.4.4-1
gcc-g++              3.4.4-1
gcc-g77              3.4.4-1
gcc-gpc              3.3.3-3
gcc-java             3.4.4-1
gcc-mingw            20040810-1
gcc-mingw-ada        20050522-1
gcc-mingw-core       20050522-1
gcc-mingw-g++        20050522-1
gcc-mingw-g77        20050522-1
gcc-mingw-gpc        20040810-1
gcc-mingw-java       20050522-1
gcc-mingw-objc       20050522-1
gcc-objc             3.4.4-1
gdb                  20041228-3
gdbm                 1.8.3-7
gettext              0.14.1-1
gettext-devel        0.14.1-1
glib                 1.2.10-2
glib-devel           1.2.10-2
glib2                2.4.8-1
glib2-devel          2.4.8-1
glib2-runtime        2.4.8-1
gmp                  4.1.4-2
gnuplot              4.0.0-1
grep                 2.5.1a-2
groff                1.18.1-2
gsl                  1.6-1
gzip                 1.3.5-1
help2man             1.33.1-1
ImageMagick          6.0.4-1
indent               2.2.9-1
ioperm               0.4-1
jasper               1.701.0-1
jbigkit              1.5-3
jpeg                 6b-11
lcms                 1.13-1
less                 381-1
libapr0              0.9.6-1
libaprutil0          0.9.6-1
libaudiofile-devel   0.2.6-2
libbz2_0             1.0.2-1
libbz2_1             1.0.2-6
libcharset1          1.9.2-1
libdb4.2             4.2.52-1
libesound-devel      0.2.35-1
libfontconfig-devel  2.2.2-1
libfontconfig1       2.2.2-1
libfpx               1.2.0.9-1
libfreetype2-devel   2.1.5-1
libfreetype26        2.1.5-1
libgc                6.4-1
libgd2               2.0.33-1
libgdbm              1.8.0-5
libgdbm-devel        1.8.3-7
libgdbm3             1.8.3-3
libgdbm4             1.8.3-7
libgettextpo0        0.14.1-1
libGraphicsMagick0   1.0.6-1
libiconv             1.9.2-1
libiconv2            1.9.2-1
libIDL               0.8.3-2
libintl              0.10.38-3
libintl1             0.10.40-1
libintl2             0.12.1-3
libintl3             0.14.1-1
libjpeg62            6b-11
libjpeg6b            6b-8
libMagick-devel      6.0.4-1
libMagick6           6.0.4-1
libmcrypt            2.5.7-2
libmcrypt-devel      2.5.7-2
libmng               1.0.8-1
libncurses-devel     5.4-1
libncurses5          5.2-1
libncurses6          5.2-8
libncurses7          5.3-4
libncurses8          5.4-1
libneon24            0.24.7-1
libpcre              4.1-1
libpcre0             4.5-1
libpng               1.2.5-4
libpng10             1.0.15-4
libpng10-devel       1.0.15-4
libpng12             1.2.5-4
libpng12-devel       1.2.5-4
libpng2              1.0.12-1
libpopt0             1.6.4-4
libreadline4         4.1-2
libreadline5         4.3-5
libreadline6         5.0-2
libtiff-devel        3.7.0beta2-1
libtiff4             3.6.0-5
libtiff5             3.7.0beta2-1
libungif             4.1.0-3
libXft               2.1.6-1
libXft-devel         2.1.6-1
libXft1              1.0.0-1
libXft2              2.1.6-1
libxml2              2.6.16-2
libxml2-devel        2.6.16-2
libxslt              1.1.12-2
login                1.9-7
m4                   1.4.3-1
make                 3.80-1
man                  1.5p-1
mingw-runtime        3.7-1
minires              1.00-1
minires-devel        1.00-1
mktemp               1.5-3
more                 2.11o-1
ncurses              5.4-1
netcat               1.10-2
openssh              4.1p1-1
openssl              0.9.7g-1
openssl-devel        0.9.7g-1
ORBit2               2.12.0-1
ORBit2-devel         2.12.0-1
pango                1.6.0-2
pango-devel          1.6.0-2
pango-runtime        1.6.0-2
par                  1.52-1
patch                2.5.8-8
patchutils           0.2.30-1
pcre                 4.5-1
pcre-devel           4.5-1
pcre-doc             4.5-1
perl                 5.8.6-4
ping                 1.0-1
popt                 1.6.4-4
python               2.4.1-1
rcs                  5.7-3
readline             5.0-2
rsync                2.6.3-1
rxvt                 2.7.10-6
sed                  4.1.4-1
sharutils            4.3.80-1
shutdown             1.7-1
splint               3.1.1-1
stunnel              4.04-3
subversion           1.2.0-1
subversion-devel     1.2.0-1
subversion-python    1.2.0-1
swig                 1.3.24-1
tar                  1.13.25-7
tcltk                20030901-1
tcsh                 6.14.00-4
termcap              20050421-1
terminfo             5.4_20041009-1
texinfo              4.8-1
time                 1.7-1
unzip                5.50-5
vim                  6.3-1
w32api               3.2-1
which                1.7-1
whois                4.6.14-1
X-startup-scripts    1.0.10-4
Xaw3d                1.5D-5
xorg-x11-base        6.8.2.0-1
xorg-x11-bin         6.8.2.0-1
xorg-x11-bin-dlls    6.8.2.0-1
xorg-x11-bin-lndir   6.8.2.0-1
xorg-x11-devel       6.8.2.0-2
xorg-x11-etc         6.8.2.0-1
xorg-x11-fenc        6.8.1.0-2
xorg-x11-fnts        6.8.1.0-3
xorg-x11-libs-data   6.8.2.0-1
xorg-x11-xwin        6.8.2.0-3
xterm                202-1
zip                  2.3-6
zlib                 1.2.2-1
zsh                  4.2.4-1
Use -h to see help about each section

* Re: ssh problems
@ 2005-07-18  3:05             ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2005-07-18  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Barzilay, Cygwin List

At 08:58 PM 7/17/2005, Eli wrote:
>On Jul 10, Larry Hall wrote:
>> [...]
>> Then there's always running sshd as the user you want to run the
>> builds.  This should eliminate any authentication problems but it
>> does limit the usefulness of sshd since it's now affectively a
>> one-person service, though you could certainly run two sshds, with
>> this "special" sshd running on a different port.
>
>When I try that (after shutting down the existing sshd with cygrunsrv
>-E) I get errors when trying to access private key files in /etc.  How
>do I make them accessible to my user?  Maybe there is some simple way
>to make it so that sshd always runs as me instead of the system thing?
>I don't mind making it a one person service since this is used only by
>my script for our nighly builds (and at this point I'll go with
>anything that works...).

OK.  So try this:

cygrunsrv --stop sshd
cygrunsrv --remove sshd
cygrunsrv -I sshd -d "CYGWIN sshd" -p /usr/sbin/sshd -a -D -u eli -w "<your password>" -e "CYGWIN=tty notraverse"

<your password> is the password you use for user 'eli'.  Setting "notraverse"
should not be necessary, since you're running Cygwin 1.5.18 and traverse
checking has been disabled by default (notraverse) since 1.5.15.  I've
included it's usage above so you understand how to set it (or any other
option) for the service if that's what you want.  There's certainly no harm
in setting a switch to it's default.  You could include ntsec as well, as
you used to, although it too is now the default.

You'll need to change some permissions.  Try this:

chown eli /etc/ssh*
chown eli /var/log/sshd.log

Then start the service:

cygrunsrv --start sshd

With any luck, that will run.  Note - I haven't tried this myself but it
should be a pretty complete guide.  You'll be the final judge (and test)
though. ;-)

>> But I think it's fair to say that the detailed information you've
>> provided so far on this issue is quite limited.  If you're looking
>> for more help, I think it makes sense to point you to the problem
>> reporting guidelines at:
>>
>> <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>
>>
>> Please read these guidelines thoroughly and provide the requested
>> information in any follow-up you make to the list on this issue.
>> Beyond the configuration information requested, the most helpful
>> feedback you could give is a simple example that shows this problem.
>> It's possible that in the preparation of such an example, you
>> actually find the problem yourself.  But, if not, that will provide
>> others with a basis for reproducing and debugging the problem.
>
>cygcheck's output is below as specified on the web page.

Actually, the strong preference is that you *attach* this information,
not append it.

>This is from
>an ssh session, which shows something weird -- I set the environment
>variable to include "notraverse" in CYGWIN (as suggested by Igor), and
>I do see it when running a bash shell on the machine (via VNC), but
>not through ssh.  I can't really specify an easy way to reproduce the
>problem, since it involves installing DevStudio (7.1, FWIW), and
>trying to invoke it through a public-key based ssh session.

You are apparently setting CYGWIN in your local user environment.  You'd want
to set in it you system environment or use the method I showed above to set
it for just this service.

>On Jul 10, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>> [...]
>> Another WAG.
>
>(What is a WAG??)

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#WAG>

<snip>

>> Another thing to try is to get a system-owned shell and run
>> DevStudio from it -- I'd guess you'll get the same errors.  That may
>> be problematic to do via VNC, though.
>
>How do I start such a shell?

Google for "system-owned shell cygwin".  One of the hits is this:

<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-09/msg01852.html>

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: ssh problems
@ 2005-07-18  4:23               ` Eli Barzilay
From: Eli Barzilay @ 2005-07-18  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

On Jul 17, Larry Hall wrote:
> At 08:58 PM 7/17/2005, Eli wrote:
> >
> >When I try that (after shutting down the existing sshd with
> >cygrunsrv -E) I get errors when trying to access private key files
> >in /etc.  How do I make them accessible to my user?  Maybe there is
> >some simple way to make it so that sshd always runs as me instead
> >of the system thing?  I don't mind making it a one person service
> >since this is used only by my script for our nighly builds (and at
> >this point I'll go with anything that works...).
>
> OK.  So try this:
>
> cygrunsrv --stop sshd
> cygrunsrv --remove sshd
> cygrunsrv -I sshd -d "CYGWIN sshd" -p /usr/sbin/sshd -a -D -u eli -w "<your password>" -e "CYGWIN=tty notraverse"
>
> <your password> is the password you use for user 'eli'.

Is it saving the password in a not-too-obvious way?

> [...]
> You'll need to change some permissions.  Try this:
>
> chown eli /etc/ssh*
> chown eli /var/log/sshd.log
>
> Then start the service:
>
> cygrunsrv --start sshd
>
> With any luck, that will run.  Note - I haven't tried this myself
> but it should be a pretty complete guide.  You'll be the final judge
> (and test) though. ;-)

I followed all this, and ended up with:

  $ cygrunsrv --start sshd
  cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: StartService:  Win32 error 1069:
  The service did not start due to a logon failure.

Following the advice at
I added my username to "Local Security Settings/User Rights
Assignment/Log on as a service".  After that I got a

  $ cygrunsrv --start sshd
  cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1053:
  The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

and now I can't even stop or remove it -- in both cases I get

  $ cygrunsrv --remove sshd
  cygrunsrv: Error removing a service: ControlService:  Win32 error 1061:
  The service cannot accept control messages at this time.

> Actually, the strong preference is that you *attach* this
> information, not append it.

(The "attach it as a straight text file" is confusing -- sounds like a
textual attachement, which is identical in some mailers to appending
the text.)

> You are apparently setting CYGWIN in your local user environment.
> You'd want to set in it you system environment or use the method I
> showed above to set it for just this service.

I did do it in the "system variables" part of the environment
dialog...

* Re: ssh problems
@ 2005-07-19  3:43                 ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2005-07-19  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Barzilay, Cygwin List

At 12:23 AM 7/18/2005, you wrote:
>On Jul 17, Larry Hall wrote:
>> At 08:58 PM 7/17/2005, Eli wrote:
>> >
>> >When I try that (after shutting down the existing sshd with
>> >cygrunsrv -E) I get errors when trying to access private key files
>> >in /etc.  How do I make them accessible to my user?  Maybe there is
>> >some simple way to make it so that sshd always runs as me instead
>> >of the system thing?  I don't mind making it a one person service
>> >since this is used only by my script for our nighly builds (and at
>> >this point I'll go with anything that works...).
>>
>> OK.  So try this:
>>
>> cygrunsrv --stop sshd
>> cygrunsrv --remove sshd
>> cygrunsrv -I sshd -d "CYGWIN sshd" -p /usr/sbin/sshd -a -D -u eli -w "<your password>" -e "CYGWIN=tty notraverse"
>>
>> <your password> is the password you use for user 'eli'.
>
>Is it saving the password in a not-too-obvious way?

I don't know about this, though I expect it's true.  See the cygrunsrv
source if you're interested further.

>> [...]
>> You'll need to change some permissions.  Try this:
>>
>> chown eli /etc/ssh*
>> chown eli /var/log/sshd.log
>>
>> Then start the service:
>>
>> cygrunsrv --start sshd
>>
>> With any luck, that will run.  Note - I haven't tried this myself
>> but it should be a pretty complete guide.  You'll be the final judge
>> (and test) though. ;-)
>
>I followed all this, and ended up with:
>
>  $ cygrunsrv --start sshd
>  cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: StartService:  Win32 error 1069:
>  The service did not start due to a logon failure.
>
>Following the advice at
>  http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-05/msg00909.html
>I added my username to "Local Security Settings/User Rights
>Assignment/Log on as a service".  After that I got a
>
>  $ cygrunsrv --start sshd
>  cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1053:
>  The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
>
>and now I can't even stop or remove it -- in both cases I get
>
>  $ cygrunsrv --remove sshd
>  cygrunsrv: Error removing a service: ControlService:  Win32 error 1061:
>  The service cannot accept control messages at this time.

Yeah, that's true.  You can kill the outstanding cygrunsrv process though
and that will take care of the problem though.

Forgot two things.  First, your user must be a member of the local
Administrators group.  Second, 'chown eli /var/empty'.  That should do
it.  It did for me.

>> Actually, the strong preference is that you *attach* this
>> information, not append it.
>
>(The "attach it as a straight text file" is confusing -- sounds like a
>textual attachement, which is identical in some mailers to appending
>the text.)

OK, that's not what was meant though.

>> You are apparently setting CYGWIN in your local user environment.
>> You'd want to set in it you system environment or use the method I
>> showed above to set it for just this service.
>
>I did do it in the "system variables" part of the environment
>dialog...

That should work if you start the service from somewhere that sees this
setting.  But, like I said, you probably really want this set as part of
the service install.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: ssh problems
@ 2005-07-19  6:32                   ` Eli Barzilay
From: Eli Barzilay @ 2005-07-19  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

On Jul 18, Larry Hall wrote:
> At 12:23 AM 7/18/2005, you wrote:
> >On Jul 17, Larry Hall wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> You'll need to change some permissions.  Try this:
> >>
> >> chown eli /etc/ssh*
> >> chown eli /var/log/sshd.log
> >>
> >> Then start the service:
> >>
> >> cygrunsrv --start sshd
> >>
> >> With any luck, that will run.  Note - I haven't tried this myself
> >> but it should be a pretty complete guide.  You'll be the final judge
> >> (and test) though. ;-)
> >
> >I followed all this, and ended up with:
> >
> >  $ cygrunsrv --start sshd
> >  cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: StartService:  Win32 error 1069:
> >  The service did not start due to a logon failure.
> >
> >Following the advice at
> >  http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-05/msg00909.html
> >I added my username to "Local Security Settings/User Rights
> >Assignment/Log on as a service".  After that I got a
> >
> >  $ cygrunsrv --start sshd
> >  cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1053:
> >  The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
> >
> >and now I can't even stop or remove it -- in both cases I get
> >
> >  $ cygrunsrv --remove sshd
> >  cygrunsrv: Error removing a service: ControlService:  Win32 error 1061:
> >  The service cannot accept control messages at this time.
>

> Yeah, that's true.  You can kill the outstanding cygrunsrv process though
> and that will take care of the problem though.
>
> Forgot two things.  First, your user must be a member of the local
> Administrators group.  Second, 'chown eli /var/empty'.  That should do
> it.  It did for me.

I did the additional chown, and my username is a mamber of the
administrators group, but I'm still getting the same error (1053).  Is
there any log file or something that will hint at the problem?  The
event viewer is not helping --

  The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( sshd ) cannot be
  found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
  information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
  computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve
  this description; see Help and Support for details. The following
  information is part of the event: sshd : PID 812 : starting service
  `sshd' failed: execv: 1, Operation not permitted.

* Re: ssh problems
@ 2005-07-19 12:40                     ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2005-07-19 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Barzilay, Cygwin List

At 02:32 AM 7/19/2005, you wrote:
>I did the additional chown, and my username is a mamber of the
>administrators group, but I'm still getting the same error (1053).  Is
>there any log file or something that will hint at the problem?

Only /var/log/sshd.log but this really only provides information if
sshd is running.  Worth a check though.

>The
>event viewer is not helping --
>
>  The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( sshd ) cannot be
>  found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
>  information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
>  computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve
>  this description; see Help and Support for details. The following
>  information is part of the event: sshd : PID 812 : starting service
>  `sshd' failed: execv: 1, Operation not permitted.

So it appears there's still a permission problem.  Try running sshd
directly yourself now.  You can also run it under strace to see if
the output points at something interesting (please don't sent the
entire output of strace to the list though - only send a piece if
you believe there's something interesting or relevant - if you're
not pretty sure, don't bother).

As a last resort, you can try adding the other permissions listed in
'/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README' to your user name and see if
this helps.  I actually did this first and then backed off these
permissions once I got it working until I found the minimal set I
needed but maybe Windows wasn't giving up some privileges I gave,
or at least not without a reboot (which I didn't do).

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: ssh problems
@ 2005-07-20  7:10                       ` Eli Barzilay
From: Eli Barzilay @ 2005-07-20  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

On Jul 19, Larry Hall wrote:
> At 02:32 AM 7/19/2005, you wrote:
> >I did the additional chown, and my username is a mamber of the
> >administrators group, but I'm still getting the same error (1053).
> >Is there any log file or something that will hint at the problem?
>
> Only /var/log/sshd.log but this really only provides information if
> sshd is running.  Worth a check though.

You're right, it's empty.

> >The event viewer is not helping --
> >
> >  The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( sshd ) cannot be
> >  found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
> >  information or message DLL files to display messages from a
> >  remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to
> >  retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The
> >  following information is part of the event: sshd : PID 812 :
> >  starting service `sshd' failed: execv: 1, Operation not
> >  permitted.
>
> So it appears there's still a permission problem.  Try running sshd
> directly yourself now.  [...]

It did run into permission problems -- the /etc/ssh* keys were not
readable.  Looks like chowning them didn't help at all.  Finally, I
resorted to removeing them and re-runnning ssh-host-config to
regenerate.  Now running sshd directly works, but trying it through
cygrunsrv still has the same problem...

* Re: ssh problems
@ 2005-07-21  2:59                         ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2005-07-21  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Barzilay, Cygwin List

At 03:10 AM 7/20/2005, you wrote:
>On Jul 19, Larry Hall wrote:
>> At 02:32 AM 7/19/2005, you wrote:
>> >I did the additional chown, and my username is a mamber of the
>> >administrators group, but I'm still getting the same error (1053).
>> >Is there any log file or something that will hint at the problem?
>>
>> Only /var/log/sshd.log but this really only provides information if
>> sshd is running.  Worth a check though.
>
>You're right, it's empty.
>

>> >The event viewer is not helping --
>> >
>> >  The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( sshd ) cannot be
>> >  found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
>> >  information or message DLL files to display messages from a
>> >  remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to
>> >  retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The
>> >  following information is part of the event: sshd : PID 812 :
>> >  starting service `sshd' failed: execv: 1, Operation not
>> >  permitted.
>>
>> So it appears there's still a permission problem.  Try running sshd
>> directly yourself now.  [...]
>
>It did run into permission problems -- the /etc/ssh* keys were not
>readable.  Looks like chowning them didn't help at all.  Finally, I
>resorted to removeing them and re-runnning ssh-host-config to
>regenerate.  Now running sshd directly works, but trying it through
>cygrunsrv still has the same problem...

Hm, this may be getting to the time where you need to try strace or
build a debug version of cygrunsrv and run gdb on it.  I'm not sure
what's holding you back now...

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: ssh problems
@ 2005-07-21  3:27                           ` Eli Barzilay
From: Eli Barzilay @ 2005-07-21  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

On Jul 20, Larry Hall wrote:
> At 03:10 AM 7/20/2005, you wrote:
> >
> >It did run into permission problems -- the /etc/ssh* keys were not
> >readable.  Looks like chowning them didn't help at all.  Finally, I
> >resorted to removeing them and re-runnning ssh-host-config to
> >regenerate.  Now running sshd directly works, but trying it through
> >cygrunsrv still has the same problem...
>
> Hm, this may be getting to the time where you need to try strace or
> build a debug version of cygrunsrv and run gdb on it.

I didn't think of stracing cygrunsrv...  Building a debug version
sounds like yet more work in an area I don't have much experience
with.

> I'm not sure what's holding you back now...

Mainly the fact that I'm fine with starting my own sshd, even if its
manual.  (I'll try a quick strace.)

* Re: ssh problems
@ 2005-07-21  3:38                             ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2005-07-21  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Barzilay, Cygwin List

At 10:58 PM 7/20/2005, you wrote:
>> I'm not sure what's holding you back now...
>
>Mainly the fact that I'm fine with starting my own sshd, even if its
>manual.  (I'll try a quick strace.)

Actually, I meant this differently than you took it I think.  I was
lamenting that I couldn't think of a reason that sshd would run from
the command line and not from cygrunsrv.  Obviously, where you can
run it from the command line, that does give you an option that you
didn't have heretofore, as you imply.  Well, hopefully you'll find
something interesting in the strace that points the way to a running
service as well.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: ssh problems
@ 2005-07-21  5:53                             ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-07-21  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Barzilay; +Cc: cygwin

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Eli Barzilay wrote:

> On Jul 20, Larry Hall wrote:
> > At 03:10 AM 7/20/2005, you wrote:
> > >
> > >It did run into permission problems -- the /etc/ssh* keys were not
> > >readable.  Looks like chowning them didn't help at all.  Finally, I
> > >resorted to removeing them and re-runnning ssh-host-config to
> > >regenerate.  Now running sshd directly works, but trying it through
> > >cygrunsrv still has the same problem...
> >
> > Hm, this may be getting to the time where you need to try strace or
> > build a debug version of cygrunsrv and run gdb on it.
>
> I didn't think of stracing cygrunsrv...  Building a debug version
> sounds like yet more work in an area I don't have much experience
> with.

Try running sshd from a SYSTEM-owned shell (Google for "cygwin
system-owned shell").

> > I'm not sure what's holding you back now...
>
> Mainly the fact that I'm fine with starting my own sshd, even if its
> manual.  (I'll try a quick strace.)

I don't recall the whole thread, but have you tried "chmod 666
/var/log/sshd.log"?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: ssh problems
@ 2005-07-21  5:57                               ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2005-07-21  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Eli Barzilay; +Cc: cygwin

At 01:29 AM 7/21/2005, you wrote:
>On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Eli Barzilay wrote:

>> > Hm, this may be getting to the time where you need to try strace or
>> > build a debug version of cygrunsrv and run gdb on it.
>>
>> I didn't think of stracing cygrunsrv...  Building a debug version
>> sounds like yet more work in an area I don't have much experience
>> with.
>
>Try running sshd from a SYSTEM-owned shell (Google for "cygwin
>system-owned shell").

That's going back to where we started actually.  His original problem
was that ssh was bombing out on him when he was running it as part of
his build environment with pubkey authentication.  Password authentication
worked.  The theory was that the build environment needed a
Windows authenticated user, which is why we started down the path of
running sshd as a service under his ID.  For some reason, he's finding
he cannot start sshd using his ID with cygrunsrv.  See the thread for
details.  But essentially he's at the point here that would be synonymous
with being able to a run typical installation of sshd from the SYSTEM-owned
shell but not from cygrunsrv.  So if that sparks any ideas from you, I'm
sure Eli would like to hear them. :-)

>> > I'm not sure what's holding you back now...
>>
>> Mainly the fact that I'm fine with starting my own sshd, even if its
>> manual.  (I'll try a quick strace.)
>
>I don't recall the whole thread, but have you tried "chmod 666
>/var/log/sshd.log"?

Well, a variant.  I told him to chown this to be his ID.  But maybe it
makes sense to just loosen the perms on all the affected files.  At this
point, it can't hurt. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746