* RE: DDD Debugger
@ 1999-01-31 23:52 Colman Curtin
From: Colman Curtin @ 1999-01-31 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32; +Cc: Stipe Tolj

Hi all
I managed to compile lesstif and then the latest DDD without too much pain
although DDD takes a looooong time to make.
I'm using nt4 sp3, b20.1 or rather latest egcs for b20.1.
to get lesstif compiled I did the following:
- sh is a symlink to bash
- set up LD env var
- create a symlink from my installation of /X11 to /XFree86.
  No mater what prefixing I tried it still looked there so that quietened
it.
 - need an install that knows about .exe
but when I try to run the tests anything linked against libXt.a fails with
undefined references in Shell.o haven't looked into that further the order
of libs on the link line could be off. I needed to install libtool too.

then for DDD
ran configure enabling X and telling it where lesstif lived.
configure failed on one test checking for XmCreateOptionMenu in libXm.a
because of the undefined references in libXt.a mentioned above.
skipped that test and configure ran to completion.
then make and after many cups of coffee came back and all was completed.
make check successfully launches DDD and starts to debug the test program
but, there's always a but, it tries to create a dir '//.ddd/sessions' to
store info for restart etc. but obviously cannot, although this doesn't stop
it working its a pain.
The icons in my tool bar are just black boxes.
Also the symbols for current position and breakpoints are black.
It seems to be only black and white where as the binary available(don't have
the URL right now) appears in colour.
I haven't done much testing with it yet but with time I'll have another
look.
Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve any of the stumbling blocks I ran
into?

thanks to all whose s/w got me this far.
Coley.

Colman Curtin	Software Team Leader
*Trintech - The Secure Way to Pay*
Trintech Technologies Ltd,
South County Business Park,
Leopardstown, Dublin 18, Ireland.
Tel: +353-1-207-4000
Fax: +353-1-207-4015
mailto:colman.curtin@trintech.com
http://www.trintech.com/

"Here at the Phone Company, we serve all kinds of people; from
Presidents and Kings to the scum of the earth ..."

>> I've tried (so far unsuccessfully) to port DDD 3.1.2 to
>> b20.1/Windows98.  I have an executable that creates the main DDD
>> window, but fails to connect to gdb. Alternatively, it fails
>to locate
>> the X libraries when run with --check-configuration.
>>
>> In both cases the problem is with calls to popen. I posted a
>message a
>> few days ago asking for help in figuring out this popen problem, but
>> no takers yet. Too bad, because DDD is a superb front-end to gdb (and
>> other debuggers).
>>
>> At any rate, this is what you need to get as far as I got:
>>
>> 1. An X server. I currently use the free server by Microimages:
>>    http://tnt.microimages.com/www/html/freestuf/mix/
>>
>> 2. X libraries. I have downloaded the precompiled libraries from
>>    Andy Piper's ftp site http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/ .
>>
>> 3. Lesstif libraries. Check http://www.lesstif.org .
>>
>> 4. And of course ddd itself: http://www.cs.tu-bs.de/softech/ddd
>>
>> Some configuation work is required.
>
>if there are already some patches done by you to the ddd and
>lesstif source I
>would like to have a look on it to help in getting ddd
>working, since it
>would be a great tool for the cygwin environment.
>
>Regards,
>Stipe
>
>--
>Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de>
>Cygwin Porting Project
>Department of Economical Computer Science
>University of Cologne, Germany
> http://www-public.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de/~tolj

-

* Re: DDD Debugger
@ 1999-01-31 23:52 ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-01-31 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio; +Cc: gawronskip, gnu-win32

Hi Fabio,

@ 1999-01-31 23:52   ` Heinz-Juergen Oertel
From: Heinz-Juergen Oertel @ 1999-01-31 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stipe Tolj, m Cygwin-32

Stipe Tolj wrote:

> Hi Fabio,
>
> > I've tried (so far unsuccessfully) to port DDD 3.1.2 to
> > Some configuation work is required.
>
> if there are already some patches done by you to the ddd and lesstif source I
> would like to have a look on it to help in getting ddd working, since it
> would be a great tool for the cygwin environment.
>
> Regards,
> Stipe

The ddd site itself http://www.cs.tu-bs.de/softech/ddd
list a port:

--ddd-3.1.2-i686-pc-cygwin32
--------------------------

        DDD 3.1.2 (i686-pc-cygwin32), Copyright (C) 1998 TU
Braunschweig.
        Compiled with GCC egcs-2.91.57 19980901 (egcs-1.1 release),
                libstdc++ 2.8.0
        Requires X11R6, Xt11R6, Motif 1.2 (GNU LessTif 0.87 0)
        Includes DDD core, manual, app-defaults, XPM 3.4.11, Athena
Panner
        Built 1999-01-04 by Robert Hwang<rhwang@cs.sfu.ca>.

        This is a Windows executable for DDD (95; 98; NT).  To run it,
        you need the following additional packages:

        * The Cygwin DLL's (B20 or later).
             Available from http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/
        * X libraries for Cygwin.
             Precompiled X libraries are available from
             http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/
        * A Windows X server.
             The free MI/X server is available at
             http://tnt.microimages.com/www/html/freestuf/mix/

        Please report any problems, tips, suggestions, etc. to
        the DDD developers <ddd-bugs@ips.cs.tu-bs.de>.

        MD5 checksums:
        020379fd8f555c3300ab1c75b842b0e2  ddd-3.1.2-i686-pc-cygwin32.exe

with best regards / mit freundlichen Grüßen

  Heinz-Jürgen Oertel

* DDD Debugger
@ 1998-12-30 18:07 Fabio Somenzi
From: Fabio Somenzi @ 1998-12-30 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gawronskip, gnu-win32; +Cc: Fabio

Przemyslav Gawronski writes:

> What is needed by the DDD debugger...

I've tried (so far unsuccessfully) to port DDD 3.1.2 to
b20.1/Windows98.  I have an executable that creates the main DDD
window, but fails to connect to gdb. Alternatively, it fails to locate
the X libraries when run with --check-configuration.

In both cases the problem is with calls to popen. I posted a message a
few days ago asking for help in figuring out this popen problem, but
no takers yet. Too bad, because DDD is a superb front-end to gdb (and
other debuggers).

At any rate, this is what you need to get as far as I got:

1. An X server. I currently use the free server by Microimages:
   http://tnt.microimages.com/www/html/freestuf/mix/

2. X libraries. I have downloaded the precompiled libraries from
   Andy Piper's ftp site http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/ .

3. Lesstif libraries. Check http://www.lesstif.org .

4. And of course ddd itself: http://www.cs.tu-bs.de/softech/ddd

Some configuation work is required.

I would recommend starting from the "related sites" on the Cygnus Web
site. They give good detailed instructions on how to set up X with
cygwin.

As you may already know, there is a precompiled ddd for
b19. Unfortunately, it looks for libXpm.dll which is not in the
precompiled X libraries for b20.

Fabio

--
Fabio Somenzi          | Phone: 303-492-3466
University of Colorado | Fax:   303-492-2758