* RE: Debug version of cygwin dll
@ 2001-12-05 13:40 Polley Christopher W
From: Polley Christopher W @ 2001-12-05 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Thanks,  my apologies for asking a FAQ; I didn't see it on the list.  I'll
give these methods a try and see how it goes.

Having done the make/make install from my source tree, do I have to repair
anything now?  Where can I find more information on the rationale behind not
building in the src directory?

Why does the README in the cygwin package say:
>It is now possible to automatically configure and build a variety of
>tools with one command.  To build all of the tools contained herein,
>run the ``configure'' script here, e.g.:
>
>	./configure
>	make

if this is the incorrect way to do it?

-Chris

@ 2001-12-05 23:57 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-12-05 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Polley Christopher W
  Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com', chris.polley, Peter Buckley

Hallo Polley,

Am 2001-12-05 um 22:30 schriebst du:

>>       ./configure
>>       make

> if this is the incorrect way to do it?

This script is from Ch. Wilson (The Master of Puppets;)

Ciao,

Gerrit P. Haase                            mailto:gp@familiehaase.de
--
=^..^=

[-- Attachment #2: cygwin-build --]

#!/bin/bash
export src=/winsup/src
export inst=/winsup/build/inst

build=i686-pc-cygwin
target=i686-pc-cygwin

case $1 in
  conf*) ${src}/configure --build=${build} --target=${target} \
  --srcdir=${src} --prefix=/usr \
  --exec-prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libdir=/usr/lib \
  --includedir=/nonexistent/include \
  --with-included-gettext 2>&1 | tee log.configure
  ;;
  build*) make CFLAGS=-O2 tooldir=/usr  2>&1 | tee log.make
  make info CFLAGS=-O2 tooldir=/usr 2>&1 | tee log.make-info
  ;;
  check*) make CFLAGS=-O2 tooldir=/usr check 2>&1 | tee log.check
  ;;
  clean*) make CFLAGS=-O2 tooldir=/usr clean 2>&1 | tee log.clean
  ;;
  install*) make install prefix=$inst/usr exec_prefix=$inst/usr \
  bindir=$inst/usr/bin libdir=$inst/usr/lib \
  sysconfdir=$inst/etc includedir=$inst/usr/include \
  tooldir=$inst/usr 2>&1 | tee log.install
  make install-info prefix=$inst/usr exec_prefix=$inst/usr \
  bindir=$inst/usr/bin libdir=$inst/usr/lib \
  sysconfdir=$inst/etc includedir=$inst/usr/include \
  tooldir=$inst/usr 2>&1 | tee log.install-info
  rm -rf $inst/usr/etc
  rm -f $inst/usr/info/dir
  ;;
  strip*) (cd ${inst} ; find . -name "*.exe" | xargs strip )
  ;;
  package*) (cd ${inst} ;
    find . -name "*.exe" | xargs strip ;
	rm usr/lib/lib[cgm].a
	for i in c g m
	do
		ln -s libcygwin.a usr/lib/lib$i.a
	done
    tar cvjf ../mingw-new.tar.bz2 usr/bin/mingwm10.dll \
             usr/include/mingw usr/lib/mingw ;
    tar cvjf ../w32api-new.tar.bz2 usr/include/w32api \
             usr/lib/w32api ;
    tar cvjf ../cygwin-new.tar.bz2 usr --exclude='usr/bin/mingwm10.dll' \
             --exclude='usr/include/mingw' --exclude='usr/lib/mingw' \
             --exclude='usr/include/w32api' --exclude='usr/lib/w32api' \
             --exclude='usr/bin/runtest' --exclude='usr/info/dejagnu.info*' \
             --exclude='usr/share/dejagnu' )
  ;;
  packdeb*) (cd ${inst} ;
	rm usr/lib/lib[cgm].a
	for i in c g m
	do
		ln -s libcygwin.a usr/lib/lib$i.a
	done
    tar cvjf ../mingw-new-debug.tar.bz2 usr/bin/mingwm10.dll \
             usr/include/mingw usr/lib/mingw ;
    tar cvjf ../w32api-new-debug.tar.bz2 usr/include/w32api \
             usr/lib/w32api ;
    tar cvjf ../cygwin-new-debug.tar.bz2 usr --exclude='usr/bin/mingwm10.dll' \
             --exclude='usr/include/mingw' --exclude='usr/lib/mingw' \
             --exclude='usr/include/w32api' --exclude='usr/lib/w32api' \
             --exclude='usr/bin/runtest' --exclude='usr/info/dejagnu.info*' \
             --exclude='usr/share/dejagnu' )
  ;;
  *) echo 'argument required: configure, build, install, strip, package, packdebug'
  echo    '                   [check, clean]'
  ;;
esac

* Re: Debug version of cygwin dll
@ 2001-12-06  2:02 ` egor duda
From: egor duda @ 2001-12-06  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Polley Christopher W; +Cc: cygwin

Hi!

Thursday, 06 December, 2001 Polley Christopher W PolleyChristopherW@JohnDeere.com wrote:

PCW> Having done the make/make install from my source tree, do I have to repair
PCW> anything now?

just delete the source tree, unpack in again, rebuild in separate
directory.

PCW> Where can I find more information on the rationale behind not
PCW> building in the src directory?

in mailing list archives. many people, including core cygwin
developers, find it preferable to make builds in separate directory
not only for cygwin, but for any autoconf-managed package. So,
in-place configure is unmaintained therefore unsupported therefore not
recommended. believe me, building in separate tree makes a _lot_ of
things easier, once you're accustomed to it :)

PCW> Why does the README in the cygwin package say:
>>It is now possible to automatically configure and build a variety of
>>tools with one command.  To build all of the tools contained herein,
>>run the ``configure'' script here, e.g.:
>>
>>       ./configure
>>       make

PCW> if this is the incorrect way to do it?

because it's not cygwin README. it's generic GNU package README. i
admit that it may be not clear.

* Re: Debug version of cygwin dll
@ 2001-12-05 13:17         ` Peter Buckley
From: Peter Buckley @ 2001-12-05 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ah. I guess that would be the wrong part :-)
I don't ever build inside the source tree. I don't install the source, I
just download it, and I manually extract to
srcdir=/cygdrive/d/compile-dir and then

cd /cygdrive/d/compile-dir
mkdir build
../configure
make

I just assumed (and I know what that does, sorry) that people would use
the /usr/src default location where the source was installed, and not be
silly like me and create their own separate directory for compilation. Ha!

I stand corrected,
Peter

--
Your mouse has moved.
Reboot now?  [OK]

* Re: Debug version of cygwin dll
@ 2001-12-05 13:14       ` John Peacock
From: John Peacock @ 2001-12-05 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Buckley; +Cc: egor duda

Peter Buckley wrote:

> I don't do the "make install" part- is that the wrong part? Otherwise
> the part about
>
> cd srcdir
> mkdir build
> ../configure
> make

The first line in the FAQ on rebuilding the tools:

  Note: You must build in a directory outside the source tree.
                                      -------

Note, _not_ below the srcdir.  Just because you haven't had a problem doesn't
mean that your way is the correct way.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group
4720 Boston Way
Lanham, MD 20706
301-459-3366 x.5010
fax 301-429-5747

* Re: Debug version of cygwin dll
@ 2001-12-05 12:48     ` Peter Buckley
From: Peter Buckley @ 2001-12-05 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egor duda

I don't do the "make install" part- is that the wrong part? Otherwise
the part about

cd srcdir
mkdir build
../configure
make

builds a the cygwin1.dll quite well on NT and win2k. And the FAQ, docs,
readmes, MLA, etc lacked any information to help me in my search to
learn how to successfully build the cygwin1.dll. Gerrit Haase and some
other posters got me working okay though, in case I forgot to say thanks.

Thanks,
Peter

@ 2001-12-05 12:43   ` egor duda
From: egor duda @ 2001-12-05 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Buckley; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2001-12-05 12:19 ` Peter Buckley
From: Peter Buckley @ 2001-12-05 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chris.polley; +Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

You need to bunzip2 and untar the src, then cd to
/usr/src/cygwin-1.3.5-3 (or wherever you extracted it to) and do the
following:

mkdir build
cd build
../configure
make
make install

Also, I don't know if you need to manually export CFLAGS=-g, just don't
strip the dll after you build it. IIRC when you build anything it has
the debug info included, but the binaries are shipped stripped :-)

Another thing- if you plan on debugging another cygwin1.dll with this
debug version of the cygwin1.dll, search for "running independent
site:cygwin.com" on google, there is an excellent discussion (don't try
this at home kids) about running two independent cygwin1.dll's.

HTH,
Peter

Polley Christopher W wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to build cygwin(-1.3.5.3) with the debug symbols included.  I
> exported CFLAGS=-g, then did ./configure, make, and make install; but only
> the .a libraries were built.  Is there more info available about the
> makefile targets in this package?  The README doesn't mention it and it's
> not obvious (to me) from inspection of the Makefile.  How does one build the
> dlls? (or are debug versions available in a tarball?)
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
>

> --

Your mouse has moved.