* changes in recent snapshots -- need testing before release
@ 2000-10-09 15:44 Chris Faylor
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-10-09 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

These will all be in 1.1.5.  I've probably missed a few.

Please give a snapshot a try and report problems to cygwin@sources.redhat.com .

cgf

Changes:

- Major speedup in tty I/O.

- /dev/mem

- The use of Windows pids, where possible, rather than cygwin-invented pids.
  (Unfortunately there is still a "cygwin pid" which is usually based on the
  windows pid of the last forked process.)

- An additional option to "ps", '-W' which lists all Windows pids as well as Cygwin
  pids.  Ps also lists complete information, including cygwin and windows pids, by
  default.

- An additional option to "kill", '-f' which will force the termination of any
  Windows or Cygwin process.

- True UNIX style argument list passing to cygwin subprocesses.  No more strange
  quoting of the command line to preserver white space, etc.

- True UNIX passing of environment variables to cygwin subprocesses.  No more
  conversion back and forth between Windows and UNIX formats.

- Improved (?) parameter passing, quoting, and parsing for non-cygwin processes.

- Fix for the unknown "__cygwin_dll_entry@12" problem.

- Fix for the "CTRL-S stops rxvt" forever problem.

- Fix for "CTRL-C doesn't seem to do anything at the bash prompt" problem.

- Fixes for current-working-directory problems.

- Fixes for a couple of problems found by Egor Duda's new cygwin testsuite.

- Fixes for time conversion factor

- Fixes for overflow problems in select(), especially with non-standard
  fd_set sizes.

- Force pipes to be in binmode by default, like they were prior to 1.1.3.

- Automatic extension of the fd table when required by dup2.

- Allow any decriptor and any number of descriptors in poll().

- Fix for buffer overruns in syslog().

- Fix for readdir to only set errno when appropriate (should quite CVS?).

- Fix for tcsendbreak to use correct time units.

- Fix for cygpath -u e:foo

- Allow newaction == oldaction in sigaction.

- Directories or files mounted with the '-x' bit will show up as executable
  in a directory listing.

- Proper return value for sleep() function when interrupted by a signal.

- Fix output of text with \r\n endings when fd is opened in text mode.

* Re: changes in recent snapshots -- need testing before release
@ 2000-10-11  5:54 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-10-11  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Starks-Browning, cygwin

--- David Starks-Browning <starksb@ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Monday 9 Oct 00, Chris Faylor writes:
> > These will all be in 1.1.5.  I've probably missed a few.
> >
> > Please give a snapshot a try and report problems to
> cygwin@sources.redhat.com .
>
> I understand that snapshots are not supported and are generally not
> encouraged for anyone but Cygwin developers, but at times like this
> (before a new release) it's good to get as many snapshot users as
> possible.  With that in mind, what's the recommended technique for
> installing a cygwin-inst-YYYYMMDD.tar.bz2 snapshot?

I explain a process to do this on my webpage at
http://gw32.freeyellow.com/UpdatingCygwin.html .  I'll consider adding the
rename and setup possibility.

Cheers,

=====