From: L A Walsh <cygwin@tlinx.org>
To: Sam Edge <sam.edge@gmx.com>
Cc: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: objects created in a dir w/cygwin mangled perms; inherit no-access
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 12:31:40 -0700	[thread overview]

On 2021/07/15 01:23, Sam Edge via Cygwin wrote:

>>> Ugh. Been there twenty years ago. Had a lot of unexpected issues and
>>> finally opted out of it.
>>
>>     If you have ever boot to a rescue system running from
>> your hard drive -- you have the choice of using all your cygwin
>> tools to recover your system, or to just use Windows tools.
>>
> After wading through the unsolicited self-congratulation a few
> observations.
>
> 1. You want support from the Cygwin community for problems you're having
> despite having installed it in a way that is expressly discouraged.
> (https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.setup.c) Good luck with that.
----
	I pointed out a problem, didn't ask for support from people
who blindly leap off clifs.

> 2. You've not bothered to search the archives or even read the manual,
> specifically https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-files but
> instead immediately assume a flaw in the code. Not very scientific ...
> or polite.
---
	I have read such docs many times in the past. Cygwin is designed
to be a POSIX implementation.  POSIX supports ACLs as Linux implementations
show.  There are tons of ways of getting the behavior I noticed
no matter where you put your cygwin directory.  If you have OS
mount points under your cygwin directory you can have the same problem.
so it isn't specific to having your cygwin dir at root.  I get that
you don't know all the background and assume that the current user
guide tells you everything.  However some of us have been using
Cygwin since before it supported ntsec

> (By the way, the permission workaround is another good reason for not
> installing in system root if advice from the authors of Cygwin - Corinna
> et al - isn't enough for you.)
---
	Except that at one point, most of the cygwin developers
installed cygwin at '/'.  That you don't know that shows how long you've
been using cygwin.

> 3. Installing Cygwin under, say, C:\cygwin64 does not prevent you from
> using it for recovery.
---
	If you don't have the right options set in the registry, other
directories outside of /windows can be inaccessible.

	I have other reasons for my setup.  My windows system has most
of my files on a remote, linux system.  When I'm using the linux
shell, for example, I can bring up explorer for the directory I'm
in by typing 'explore [opt. path]'.  My Doc dir, among others is the
same on Windows as on Linux ~/Documents or /d/.  If I'm running
a prog on linux, and it asks for a browser, it launches my browser
on Windows.

	In the past, I had both cygwin32 and cygwin64 installed
in their own directories, because there was a brief time when the 64-bit
version of windows and cygwin didn't have all the functionality of
32-bit cygwin, so automatic invocation of the right version was the only
way to get full functionality on a 64-bit native install.

	My purpose in using Cygwin has been to use my linux experience
and tools to help manage my Windows installation and to use my Windows
system as my desktop for a combined linux+windows system.  That doesn't work
well if I install cygwin in a separate "corner" of the system where it is
deceived about the root of its file system.  Linux can deal with that
as it supports arbitrary mounting.  Cygwin doesn't in a way that Windows
can see, so Cygwin has to use Windows mounting to have a coherent view
of the file system.