Brian Inglis wrote: > I've been running with /etc/resolv.conf for a few years now, generated > from the ISP info from ipconfig and lists of public DNS servers and > suffixes. > > The attached postinstall script 0p_l_etc_resolv_conf.dash generates a > new resolv.conf and replaces the current if different every update. > It is also run at cron startup and that covers system startup. > > The AWK script collects names and addresses from ipconfig ouput and > adds lists of public DNS servers and public suffixes in the proper order. > > How this works with other ISPs or in other network environments is not > anything I ever thought of testing externally. > Feel feel to try it and change it if curious or interested. This is an interesting approach, thanks for sharing. Unfortunately the ipconfig output is always localized, so this does only work OOTB with English versions of Windows. The ipconfig parsing is also broken due to two reasons: - The current Cygwin versions of awk, grep and sed no longer convert CR/LF -> LF on stdin, so '/FooBar$/' patterns never match. - ipconfig may output scoped IPv6 addresses ("fe80::1%12") which are not matched by the awk script. A draft patch is attached. It also avoids the tmp file and uses shell builtins where possible. -- Regards, Christian