From: Thomas Wolff <towo@towo.net>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Any reason Cygwin might prevent kubectl exec from showing shell prompt?
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 20:34:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Am 31.07.2018 um 18:15 schrieb David Karr:
> I really have no idea if this is a Cygwin problem, just trying to eliminate variables.
>
> I believe my Cygwin version is "2.9.0(0.318/5/3)" (from the uname string).
>
>  From a mintty window, I use a variation of "kubectl exec" in a script to
> run a shell in a container in a pod.  It appears to run, and I can run
> processes from that shell in the container, but the curious thing is that I
> never get a shell prompt from the container.  I thought I had gotten this
> to work before, in the same k8s cluster, but I'm not certain.
This may be an instance of the pty incompatibility issue of native
Windows programs (which I assume kubectl to be).
Try `winpty kubectl`, after installing winpty, that is.
Maybe someone should put up a winpty cygwin package; maybe I should do it...

> The other curious thing I see is that if I execute "echo $PS1" in the shell
> in the container, it gives me a reasonable response ("\w \$"), but if I
> instead do "env | grep PS1", it returns nothing.
You may have set PS1 in your .profile (or .bashrc) but not exported it
into the environment (export PS1).