* Re: I'm new in cygwin: how to  mmap?
@ 2000-09-12  4:48 Egor Duda
From: Egor Duda @ 2000-09-12  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Dr.Volker.Zell

Hi!

"Dr. Volker Zell" <Dr.Volker.Zell@oracle.com> wrote:

>>     Corinna> Try using mmap().
>
> Just curious. Whenever a configure script tries to detect a working mmap I get:
>
>   checking for working mmap... no
>
> Is this the expected behaviour. I'm using latest 1.1.4

cygwin  mmap  doesn't "work" as unix-world expects it should. on unix,
if  you  want  to  mmap  with  MAP_FIXED flag, you must supply address
aligned  to the page boundary, i.e. address should be x*pagesize. page
size on  windows  is  4096  and  test  program, which configure script
runs,   aligns    address    according  to  it. windows, otoh, require
that address should  be  aligned  to  "allocation  granularity"  which
is   64k.  if supplied  address  doesn't  match  this, and probability
that  it  won't  match   is   15/16, then windows fails to maf on this
address  with  error  1132   --   "The base address or the file offset
specified does not have the proper alignment."

* Re: I'm new in cygwin: how to mmap?
@ 2000-09-12  3:48   ` Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2000-09-12  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

    Corinna> "Dehmel, Rüdiger" wrote:
    >>
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> first of all: how to subcribe to this group? (please answer to: de@lmnet.de
    >> )

    Corinna> How did you find this group???

    Corinna> Read http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/lists.html
    Corinna> It contains all necessary information.

    >> I must memory map my hardware (ISA memory address: 0xD0000 - 0xD1FFFF) to
    >> user address space.
    >>
    >> In LINUX I do this:
    >>
    >> md = open("/dev/mem", ...);
    >> base = mmap(0, length, ...    0xD0000, md , ..);
    >> *base = 0x77;   // write the bits 0x77 direct to the hardware
    >>
    >> What is the replacement with cygwin on NT?

    Corinna> Try using mmap().

Just curious. Whenever a configure script tries to detect a working mmap I get:

  checking for working mmap... no

Is this the expected behaviour. I'm using latest 1.1.4

Ciao
  Volker

* Re: I'm new in cygwin: how to mmap?
@ 2000-09-12  2:30 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-09-12  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dehmel, Rüdiger
  Cc: 'cygwin@sources.redhat.com'

"Dehmel, Rüdiger" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> first of all: how to subcribe to this group? (please answer to: de@lmnet.de
> )

How did you find this group???

Read http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/lists.html
It contains all necessary information.

> I must memory map my hardware (ISA memory address: 0xD0000 - 0xD1FFFF) to
> user address space.
>
> In LINUX I do this:
>
> md = open("/dev/mem", ...);
> base = mmap(0, length, ...    0xD0000, md , ..);
> *base = 0x77;   // write the bits 0x77 direct to the hardware
>
> What is the replacement with cygwin on NT?

Try using mmap().

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.