* GCC compiler -m64 option in cygwin
@ 2007-10-31 11:04 anik pal
From: anik pal @ 2007-10-31 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

IÂ’m quite new in cygwin environment. I have c source
code of a product which I build in solaris environment
with  gcc compiler –m64 option to create 64 bit
executable in solaris 9 environment.

Now IÂ’ve to do the same task for win environment,
because the library available for my client is in
windows environment and the library is 64 bit. I
attempt to use cygwin for this job. Now my question
are as follows

1 . using cygwin gcc compiler can I link my source
code building with the win environment lib?
2. is gcc 64 bit option available in cygwin?
Regards

Anik Pal

Vadodara, India

* Re: GCC compiler -m64 option in cygwin
@ 2007-10-31 13:18 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2007-10-31 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

anik pal wrote:
> I have c source
> code of a product which I build in solaris environment
> with  gcc compiler –m64 option to create 64 bit
> executable in solaris 9 environment.
>
> Now IÂ’ve to do the same task for win environment,
> because the library available for my client is in
> windows environment and the library is 64 bit. I
> attempt to use cygwin for this job. Now my question
> are as follows
>

> 1 . using cygwin gcc compiler can I link my source
> code building with the win environment lib?
> 2. is gcc 64 bit option available in cygwin?

No, there is no 64-bit native support in cygwin. Even on linux, a
cross-gcc is needed to create 64-bit build on a 32-bit system, and none
of the required libraries or utilities are generally available as a
normal installation option. Of course, you can use cygwin as a build
environment when running non-cygwin 64-bit compilers.
A preliminary 64-bit mingw compiler has appeared, but it seems to have
difficulties linking with pre-existing libraries.

---AV & Spam Filtering by M+Guardian - Risk Free Email (TM)---

* Re: GCC compiler -m64 option in cygwin
@ 2007-10-31 13:31   ` Samuel Thibault
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Samuel Thibault @ 2007-10-31 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Tim Prince, le Wed 31 Oct 2007 05:35:45 -0700, a écrit :
> No, there is no 64-bit native support in cygwin. Even on linux, a
> cross-gcc is needed to create 64-bit build on a 32-bit system,

Nope, gcc now has multi-lib support.

> and none of the required libraries or utilities are generally
> available as a normal installation option.

Depends on the distribution. In debian, libc6-amd64 and amd64-libs
provide a lot of them.

Samuel

* RE: GCC compiler -m64 option in cygwin
@ 2007-10-31 13:38     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2007-10-31 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 31 October 2007 12:41, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Tim Prince, le Wed 31 Oct 2007 05:35:45 -0700, a écrit :
>> No, there is no 64-bit native support in cygwin. Even on linux, a
>> cross-gcc is needed to create 64-bit build on a 32-bit system,
>
> Nope, gcc now has multi-lib support.

  ITYM biarch.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: GCC compiler -m64 option in cygwin
@ 2007-10-31 13:51       ` Samuel Thibault
From: Samuel Thibault @ 2007-10-31 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dave Korn, le Wed 31 Oct 2007 12:52:18 -0000, a écrit :
> On 31 October 2007 12:41, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Tim Prince, le Wed 31 Oct 2007 05:35:45 -0700, a écrit :
> >> No, there is no 64-bit native support in cygwin. Even on linux, a
> >> cross-gcc is needed to create 64-bit build on a 32-bit system,
> >
> > Nope, gcc now has multi-lib support.
>
>   ITYM biarch.

If you prefer, yes (the configure option is called
--enable/disable-multilib).

Samuel

* RE: GCC compiler -m64 option in cygwin
@ 2007-10-31 18:26         ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2007-10-31 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 31 October 2007 13:19, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Dave Korn, le Wed 31 Oct 2007 12:52:18 -0000, a écrit :
>>>
>>> Nope, gcc now has multi-lib support.
>>
>>   ITYM biarch.
>
> If you prefer, yes (the configure option is called
> --enable/disable-multilib).

  Uh, no, that configures multilibbing, you're conflating two separate things
here; it's worth getting the terminology right.  Biarch is a property of the
backend, which can generate 32/64 bit code regardless of whether or not you
have the right libgcc versions available or not.  Multilib is a feature that
is used to support and complete the operation of biarch, the two work
together, but it's an independent and orthogonal feature, used also by many
non-biarch architectures.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: GCC compiler -m64 option in cygwin
@ 2009-02-05 13:04     ` rajeevs
From: rajeevs @ 2009-02-05 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi There,

please go through the followings for the problem:

1)      I want to create a 64 bit DLL using Cygwin in Windows Serever 2003
64 bit platform.
2)      I am using Cygwin to run the make file
3)      In the make file I have a macro “CFLAGS” where gave the option
“-m64” in the make file for 64 bit build
4)      But when I use this option I am getting an error like:

$ make -f makefile_64
g++ -c -DWIN64 -D"__int64=long long" -trigraphs -I../include
-IC:/Progra~1/Java/jdk1.5.0_10/include
-IC:/Progra~1/Java/jdk1.5.0_10/include/win32 -mno-cygwin -m64 Abc.C -o Abc.o
Abc.C:1: sorry, unimplemented: 64-bit mode not compiled in
make: *** [Abc.o] Error 1

5)      The main thing is that I don’t know exactly what should be the
option we have to give under cygwin for building a 64 bit DLL (though I have
used “-m64” option), but  in Linux if you use this option, you’ll get the 64
bit .SO file!!!

i tried alot but tillnow didn't get the solution.

Please suggest me some alternative options if anybody have.

Thanks in advance!
Rajeev

* Re: GCC compiler -m64 option in cygwin
@ 2009-02-05 13:05     ` rajeevs
From: rajeevs @ 2009-02-05 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2009-02-05 14:14       ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2009-02-05 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

2009/2/5 rajeevs:
> please go through the followings for the problem:
>
> 1)      I want to create a 64 bit DLL using Cygwin in Windows Serever 2003
> 64 bit platform.
> 2)      I am using Cygwin to run the make file
> 3)      In the make file I have a macro "CFLAGS" where gave the option
> "-m64" in the make file for 64 bit build
> 4)      But when I use this option I am getting an error like:
>
> $ make -f makefile_64
> g++ -c -DWIN64 -D"__int64=long long" -trigraphs -I../include
> -IC:/Progra~1/Java/jdk1.5.0_10/include
> -IC:/Progra~1/Java/jdk1.5.0_10/include/win32 -mno-cygwin -m64 Abc.C -o Abc.o
> Abc.C:1: sorry, unimplemented: 64-bit mode not compiled in
> make: *** [Abc.o] Error 1

What exactly do you not understand in the error message
  "sorry, unimplemented: 64-bit mode not compiled in"
Did you read the README which comes with the gcc package?

You are using:  -mno-cygwin -m64
Why do you ask mingw questions here at cygwin?
Please hurry over to mingw-users.

> 5)      The main thing is that I don't know exactly what should be the
> option we have to give under cygwin for building a 64 bit DLL (though I have
> used "-m64" option), but  in Linux if you use this option, you'll get the 64
> bit .SO file!!!

This is a different architecture with 64bit support.

> i tried alot but tillnow didn't get the solution.
> Please suggest me some alternative options if anybody have.

Google would have been your friend. That is a fantastic and completely
new way to find information by yourself, without the need to wait for
answers from mailing lists.
There's a unsupported and problematic/incompatible mingw build:
http://www.tdragon.net/recentgcc/ for 4.3
and
http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/ for win64
--