From: Dale Lobb <Dale.Lobb@bryanhealth.org>
To: 'JEROME GALLIERE' <jerome.galliere@atos.net>
Cc: "'cygwin@cygwin.com'" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: RE: EXTERNAL SENDER: offline installation of cygwin is impossible
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 15:57:41 +0000	[thread overview]

Lol, I copied some of the commands below from a cygwin terminal window from a shell script.  It looked fine before I sent it, but apparently the lack of CR-LF combos did a number on outlook.  Here it is again with the correct line CRLF line endings:

1. Create a Cygwin install directory and cd into it.  Download the latest Cygwin installer to this directory:

# mkdir Cygwin
# cd Cygwin
# wget --no-check-certificate https://www.cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe

2. Create an exclusions file.  This file should exclude any file types and whatever else you do not want in the new local repository. The following excludes source code and debug symbols:

# echo *-src.tar.*>  rsync_copy.exclusions
# echo *-debuginfo*>> rsync_copy.exclusions

3. Create a local repository mirror directory with syntax that matches one of the methods used for accessing an internet based Cygwin repository.  This should be under your Cygwin install directory.  Cd into the new directory. E.g.:

# mkdir ftp%3a%2f%2fmirrors.kernel.org%2fsourceware%2fcygwin%2f
# cd ftp%3a%2f%2fmirrors.kernel.org%2fsourceware%2fcygwin%2f

4. Use the rsync protocol (Actual rsync, not ssh) to download the data to your new local repository:

# rsync -av --progress rsync://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/unsupported ./
# rsync -av --delete --exclude-from=../rsync_copy.exclusions --progress rsync://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/noarch  ./
# rsync -av --delete --exclude-from=../rsync_copy.exclusions --progress rsync://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64  ./

5. Copy the entire Cygwin tree you just created to a CD ISO or flash drive.  You now have a portable Cygwin installation.

Best Regards,

Dale Lobb