From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: autoconf tests for iconv fail with undefined refs
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 16:53:46 -0700	[thread overview]

On 2022-02-19 16:37, Lemures Lemniscati wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2022 10:11:06 -0700, Brian Inglis
>> On 2022-02-18 22:26, Lemures Lemniscati wrote:
>>> On Fri, 18 Feb 2022 12:33:30 -0700, Brian Inglis

>>> https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?srcpkg=playground&id=3861
>>> This will successfully build libisocodes-1.2.4 but some tests fail.

>> Not so worried about that, just noticed that iconv conftest also failed in my recent findutils build which I released, missing libiconv functions and presumably substituting gnulib functions, although the iconv conftest passed in github scallywag.
>> This may be the result of a change in gnulib or autoconf, which now sometimes fails when it should not.

> Although `gcc iconv-test.c -liconv` should pass, it might have been used
> for test, a command like either `gcc -liconv iconv-test.c`,
> or `gcc iconv-test.c`.

After conftest if iconv... is in libc, the next conftest compiles adding
-liconv, and still fails.
I'm going to look for most recent successful iconv conftest in
config.log and compare the logs and configure scripts iconv sections to
those in the failing findutils and libisocodes, to see if I can track it
back to gnulib or autoconf changes to the compile flags or options, or
at least enough info to file a bug report upstream somewhere.