* patch - strange behaviour
@ 1997-08-07 12:41 wbach
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: wbach @ 1997-08-07 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi gnuwinners,

I've tried to apply Mumit Khan's patches to b18 and experienced very strage
behaviour of patch:

patch aborts a after some patches, typically a few files, with the message
"Assertion hunk failed ..." (don't remember exact wording).

If I split the patch file into seven parts, I can apply the separate patch
files without problems. I can live with that, but it's inconvenient.

Has anyone got an idea what's going on?

TIA.

Cheers, Wolfgang

<exhaustive signature stripped to save bandwidth>

-

* Re: patch - strange behaviour
@ 1997-08-08  4:05 ` Pete Jordan
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pete Jordan @ 1997-08-08  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

wbach@iicm.tu-graz.ac.at (Wolfgang Bachmann) wrote:

> patch aborts a after some patches, typically a few files, with the
> message "Assertion hunk failed ..." (don't remember exact wording).
>
> If I split the patch file into seven parts, I can apply the separate
> patch files without problems. I can live with that, but it's
> inconvenient.
>
> Has anyone got an idea what's going on?

Yep. The patch (2.1) that comes with GNU-Win32 b18 is broken - I got
exactly the same problem with Chris faylor's Perl patches.

Grab and build patch 2.4 from your friendly local GNU archive.

Apropos nothing, from the patch ChangeLog:

> Thu Jun 10 21:13:47 1993  Paul Eggert  (eggert@twinsun.com)
>
>     * patchlevel.h: PATCH_VERSION 2.1.
>     (The name `patch-2.0.12g12' is too long for traditional Unix.)

Well, it's as good a reason to bump up from 2.0.x to 2.1 as any, I
suppose...

Pete Jordan

* Re: patch - strange behaviour
@ 1997-08-08  6:09 ` Patrick Doyle
From: Patrick Doyle @ 1997-08-08  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wbach; +Cc: gnu-win32

   I've tried to apply Mumit Khan's patches to b18 and experienced very strage
   behaviour of patch:

   patch aborts a after some patches, typically a few files, with the message
   "Assertion hunk failed ..." (don't remember exact wording).

   If I split the patch file into seven parts, I can apply the separate patch
   files without problems. I can live with that, but it's inconvenient.

   Has anyone got an idea what's going on?

Yes, "patch" reads its patch file in TEXT mode (rather than BINARY
mode) and occasionally caches a location in the file by performing an
'ftell()' type of operation.  It expects to be able to perform an
'fseek()' to get back to that location in the file, but this doesn't
work for text files (where CR's are silently eaten).  I worked around
it the brute force way by replacing calls to 'fseek()' with calls to
'my_brute_force_fseek()', which looped until 'ftell()' returned the
desired position, reading and discarding one character at a time along
the way.  This is basically what I recall doing... I can send you a
patch (ha ha) if you would like.

--
--patrick

-

* Re: patch - strange behaviour
@ 1997-08-08  6:47 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-08-08  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

In article < v02130500b00fc1f21707@[193.83.160.71] >,
Wolfgang Bachmann <wbach@iicm.tu-graz.ac.at> wrote:
>I've tried to apply Mumit Khan's patches to b18 and experienced very strage
>behaviour of patch:
>
>patch aborts a after some patches, typically a few files, with the message
>"Assertion hunk failed ..." (don't remember exact wording).
>
>If I split the patch file into seven parts, I can apply the separate patch
>files without problems. I can live with that, but it's inconvenient.
>
>Has anyone got an idea what's going on?

Yeah, you need a new patch.  The one supplied in cdk.exe is apparently
broken.  Grab the latest GNU sources from prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/gnu and
patch should configure and build.
--
http://www.bbc.com/	cgf@bbc.com			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."

* Re: patch - strange behaviour
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-08-08 10:27 ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1997-08-08 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi Wolfgang,

[...]
> Has anyone got an idea what's going on?

Yes, the b18 patch.exe is buggy.

> TIA.
>

> Cheers, Wolfgang

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
-