* bash 2.01 and shell scripts
@ 1997-09-02  5:19 Gunther Ebert
From: Gunther Ebert @ 1997-09-02  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi,

I have some strange problems using shell scripts with bash 2.01.
Both bash and cygwin.dll are from Sergey's latest patch (08/10/97).

When I try to execute a shell script, for example a configure
script, bash complains about syntax errors. However, the line
numbers in the error messages do not match the commands bash
complains about.

The most strange thing is that

cat configure | bash

works.

Gunther
--

Gunther Ebert
iXOS Anwendungs-Software GmbH

Phone : +49 341 48503-0
Fax   : +49 341 48503-99
E-mail: mailto:gunther.ebert@ixos-leipzig.de
www   : http://www.ixos-leipzig.de
-

* Re: bash 2.01 and shell scripts
@ 1997-09-06  8:08 ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1997-09-06  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi Gunther,

> Hi,
>
> I have some strange problems using shell scripts with bash 2.01.
> Both bash and cygwin.dll are from Sergey's latest patch (08/10/97).
>
> When I try to execute a shell script, for example a configure
> script, bash complains about syntax errors. However, the line
> numbers in the error messages do not match the commands bash
> complains about.

Why don't you guys read Sergey's homepage exactly ?
He states, that you have to use binary mounts and change all your shell
scripts (and .bashrc is a shell script) from DOS format to U*ix format:
"Bash 2.01 fails to read scripts with crlf line separators. Leave single
line feeds."

> The most strange thing is that
>
> cat configure | bash
>
> works.

In this case "cat" handles the <lf>s.

> Gunther

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
                         | WWW     http://minimike.franken.de/
-

* bash 2.01 and shell scripts
@ 1997-09-07 10:59 Gunther Ebert