* EA DATA. SF ??
@ 1997-09-12 14:00 Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1997-09-12 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi *,

don't know, when it started, but whenever I copy a file to a floppy
disk, cp (or whoever) creates a file named "EA DATA. SF" on the floppy.
Afterwards it also copies the desired file to the floppy.

The file cannot be deleted, no matter what I try.

Does anyone know, why this file is created ?
It is not a serious problem, but a bit annoying.

Thx and bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
                         | WWW     http://minimike.franken.de/
-

* Re: EA DATA. SF!!!!
       [not found] <199803252218.OAA12441@rtl.cygnus.com>
@ 1998-04-06  4:08 ` William M. Mullins
From: William M. Mullins @ 1998-04-06  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Sir:

As you know, this was a problem from long ago that has regained
attention.  Before this problem pushed me over to NTFS, I was in the
habit of booting with DOS and deleteing the files.  There seemed to be
no ill effects.

I still have problems on my zip-disks, but I move these around to Win95
systems enough that the EA DATA. SF files do not become too large before
being deleted.

I did manage to get some >150MB EA DATA. SF files during some rapid-fire
building and testing work.  That does seem excessive considering the
actual files on the disk were only 300MB total.  How many attributes are
stored anyway?

W. M. Mullins

-

* Re: EA DATA. SF!!!!
       [not found] <19980313192637.23036.qmail@hotmail.com>
@ 1998-02-28 23:38 ` Daniel P. Kionka
From: Daniel P. Kionka @ 1998-02-28 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

> Is there some way to turn of the use of EA DATA. SF on a NT FAT?
>
> I don't want it and I can't change to NTFS.

Yeah, this is causing me problems, too.  I am the release manager,
but every floppy I create has the EA DATA. SF file, too, and I am
supposed to make the official release disks.  I can't remove it
unless I use another PC, but then the date/time info is corrupt,
and I can no longer double-click to open .txt files.
-

* RE: EA DATA. SF ??
@ 1997-09-23  1:51 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-09-23  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, 'Earnie Boyd'

Earnie Boyd wrote:
> I just found mine.  This is on a WinNT 3.51.  It is 144 meg.
>
> Sergey,
>
> Help!!!! We're being driven to not use your cygwin.dll because of this.

1. Chkdsk /f this drive.
2. Do not use fat at all :-)
3. Boot from dos diskette and remove the file - you will lost all the emulated unix attributes.

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia

-

* RE: EA DATA. SF ??
@ 1997-09-23  1:43 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-09-23  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Earnie Boyd'; +Cc: gnu-win32

Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >> I am running NT4SP3 and I now have a 29MB "EA DATA. SF" file on my
> In what directory does EA DATA. SF get created.  I haven't been able to
> find it.

In the root directory of fat partition, if you have writed something to that partition with cygwin programs.

--

@ 1997-09-22 15:57     ` Charles Curley
From: Charles Curley @ 1997-09-22 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex; +Cc: William M. Mullins, gnu-win32

At 11:39 PM 9/21/97 -0700, Alex wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, William M. Mullins wrote:
>
>> Sir:
>>
>> I am running NT4SP3 and I now have a 29MB "EA DATA. SF" file on my 1.6GB
>> FAT partition that has only 358MB of data on it.  It has grown to this
>> size over the course of only 3 days (with a lot of "make all"'s and
>> "make clean"'s).  I suggest a problem my be present in cleaning up these
>> files on the system.
>
>Since you're using NT and an obsolete FAT partition, which doesn't
>suppport extended attributes, I'm guessing NT uses this file to store the
>extended attributes for files on a FAT partition.  Cygnus's tools do use
>these extended attributes a fair deal, as do other programs I'm sure, so
>this file is probably worth keeping.

It is a nice guess, but I am not sure it is correct. I just checked my
system (NT 4.0, SP1, W95 OSR0), with no ntfs partitions, and did not find a
file of that name.

		-- C^2

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://web.idirect.com/~ccurley
-

* Re: EA DATA. SF ??
@ 1997-09-22 12:58 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-22 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mullinwm, sos, gnu-win32

>Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 15:24:17 -0400
>From: "William M. Mullins" <mullinwm@picard.ml.wpafb.af.mil>
>To: Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: EA DATA. SF ??
>
>Sir:
>
>The file appears in the root directories of each FAT partition ie.
>"C:/EA DATA. SF" "D:/EA DATA. SF"  et al. and has the attributes
>"RHSA".  The file does not appear immediatly, but seems to be created
>during file transfer operations, esp. from one partition to another.
>
>Why I would need 5MB of file attributes on a half-full 100MB Zip disk I
>cannot understand!
>

>W. M. Mullins

I just found mine.  This is on a WinNT 3.51.  It is 144 meg.

Sergey,

Help!!!! We're being driven to not use your cygwin.dll because of this.

Thanks

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

* Re: EA DATA. SF ??
@ 1997-09-22 11:49 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-22 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: garbanzo, mullinwm; +Cc: gnu-win32

@ 1997-09-21 23:39   ` Alex
From: Alex @ 1997-09-21 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William M. Mullins; +Cc: gnu-win32

       [not found] <6d-g8SUppfB@mike.franken.de>
@ 1997-09-16  8:38 ` William M. Mullins
From: William M. Mullins @ 1997-09-16  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hirmke; +Cc: "gnu-win32@cygnus.com"

@ 1997-09-15 12:21 Henrik Geleff
From: Henrik Geleff @ 1997-09-15 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hirmke, gnu-win32

 Chances is that you are using OS/2, the file is used by OS/2 to keep track
of extended attributes (i.e. EA ....); unfortunately I am not aware of any
way to make OS/2 not make it.

Regards
Henrik Geleff

>don't know, when it started, but whenever I copy a file to a floppy
>disk, cp (or whoever) creates a file named "EA DATA. SF" on the floppy.
>Afterwards it also copies the desired file to the floppy.
>
>The file cannot be deleted, no matter what I try.
>
>Does anyone know, why this file is created ?
>It is not a serious problem, but a bit annoying.
>
>Thx and bye.
>Michael.
>--
>Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
>Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
>90489 Nuernberg          | E-Mail  mh@mike.franken.de
>                         | WWW     http://minimike.franken.de/
>-

-

* Re: EA DATA. SF ??
@ 1997-09-13  2:35 ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1997-09-13  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi Sergey,

[...]
> You took the cygwin.dll from my web page? File EA DATA. SF used by NT on

Yes I'm using one of your dlls.

> fat partitions to store file's extended attributes (the same way like in
> OS/2). EAs used by cygwin.dll to store file's unix attributes (rwxrwxrwx).

Uh, I see - but only with your dll ?

Bye.
Michael.
--