* Re: Like-unix tree directories
       [not found] <35ADA77D.6674.cygnus.gnu-win32@cfwb.be>
@ 1998-07-16 20:10 ` Christopher G. Faylor
From: Christopher G. Faylor @ 1998-07-16 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

In article <35ADA77D.6674.cygnus.gnu-win32@cfwb.be>,
CRETEL Dominique <dominique.cretel@cfwb.be> wrote:
>I'm using cygwin32 b19.1 and have installed it on my D: drive
>(D:\Cygnus\B19).
>
>I use also a lot of packages like: egcs, gas, perl, python, miktex,
>autoconf, man, vim and so on.
>So, I have to install them somewhere in the windows tree.
>But, I'll have to add a lot of paths to my PATH variable environment.
>
>I remember that in unix, you have a short PATH variable environment
>(like: PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin???).
>
>So, I would like to build a unix-like tree files.
>
>Under cygnus, It can be done for example by mounting device or
>directories to get something like unix tree files.
>
>For example:
>D:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32 mount as /bin unix-like directories,
>C:\texmf\MiKTeX\bin mount as /usr/local/bin ???
>
>Is it possible???
>How to to that???
>I know it's a big question.

Use the mount command:

mount h:\someplace\far\away\and\hard\to\remember\bin /bin

Then /bin will refer to the h:\... path.  This is only for cygwin
applications, though.
--
cgf@cygnus.com             "Everything has a boolean value, if you stand
http://www.cygnus.com/      far enough away from it."  -- Galena Alyson Canada

* Re: Like-unix tree directories
@ 1998-07-18 20:30 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1998-07-18 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lipnitsky; +Cc: gw32

Hi Andrew,

This keeps showing up, and it is to do with UNIX and WIN32 filesystem
confusion.

---Andrew Lipnitsky <ert@cit.org.by> wrote:

> Hello Dominique.
>
> CRETEL Dominique wrote:

<snip>
> > For example:
> > D:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32 mount as /bin unix-like directories,
> > C:\texmf\MiKTeX\bin mount as /usr/local/bin ???
> >
> > Is it possible???
>
> Yes, of course.
> At first you must create /bin and /usr/local/bin :

You do not _HAVE_TO_ `create /bin' to `mount -b
//d/Cygnus/B19/H-i386-cygwin32/bin /bin'.  If you do, you have two
totally unrelated directories.  The cygwin mount command doesn't care
if d:\bin exists or not.  All you are doing is creating a logical
directory to relate to a physical directory which is stored in the
Win32 Registry.

==
-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
--earnie_boyd@yahoo.com--
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

* Re: Like-unix tree directories
@ 1998-07-18 11:14   ` Matthias Morche
From: Matthias Morche @ 1998-07-18 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

CRETEL Dominique wrote:

> Hi Earnie,
>
> Thanks for your very interesting answer.
>
> Excuse me, but my english is poor enough to not understand the word
> "delima".

I think it should read "dilemma" :-)

> Earnie Boyd wrote:
> > This is an interesting subject.  The delima is that the non-cygwin
-

* Re: Like-unix tree directories
@ 1998-07-18  6:00 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1998-07-18  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dominique.cretel; +Cc: gw32

Hi Dominique,

This is an interesting subject.  The delima is that the non-cygwin
executables don't know about the mounted directory structure.  Yes,
you could use the cygwin mount table to do what your suggesting.
However, you are likely to run into the problem of the non-cygwin
programs complaining about "file not found".

To do as you've suggested:

bash$: mount -b //d/Cygnus/B19/H-i386-cygwin32/bin /bin
bash$: mount -b //d/Cygnus/B19/H-i386-cygwin32/bin /usr/bin
bash$: mount -b //c/texmf/MiKTeX/bin /usr/local/bin

As an alternative that will help with the delima I'll suggest that you:

mkdir c:\bin
mkdir c:\usr\bin
mkdir c:\usr\local\bin

put bash.exe, sh.exe and cygwinb19.dll in c:\bin
put the rest of the cygwin executables in c:\usr\bin
and then put your MikTex in c:\usr\local\bin

You could leave the rest of cygwin alone or move the include directory
c:\usr\include and move the lib directory to c:\usr\lib.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
--earnie_boyd@yahoo.com--
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

From: Earnie Boyd @ 1998-07-18  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dominique.cretel; +Cc: gw32

---CRETEL Dominique <dominique.cretel@cfwb.be> wrote:

> Hi Earnie,
>
> Earnie Boyd wrote:
> > To do as you've suggested:
> >
> > bash$: mount -b //d/Cygnus/B19/H-i386-cygwin32/bin /bin
> > bash$: mount -b //d/Cygnus/B19/H-i386-cygwin32/bin /usr/bin
> > bash$: mount -b //c/texmf/MiKTeX/bin /usr/local/bin
>
> Yes, it's a good solution, but if you have another package, for
example
> groff, and you want to put thene executable files in the
/usr/local/bin
> too, I think you can't do again a mount -b //c/texmf/MiKTeX/bin
> /usr/local/bin!
>
> Note: With bash, where is the mount table?

It is stored within the registry.  Search the archives for the key
values if you need them.

> > As an alternative that will help with the delima I'll suggest
> > that you:
> >
> > mkdir c:\bin
> > mkdir c:\usr\bin
> > mkdir c:\usr\local\bin
> >
> > put bash.exe, sh.exe and cygwinb19.dll in c:\bin
> > put the rest of the cygwin executables in c:\usr\bin
> > and then put your MikTex in c:\usr\local\bin
> >
> > You could leave the rest of cygwin alone or move the include
directory
> > to c:\usr\include and move the lib directory to c:\usr\lib.
>
> I don't like this solution because with it I have to do a lot of move
> when I get a new package or a new version of an existing package!
> I prefer the first one.

Yes, but you can only have one package as /usr/local/bin with the
first method and you will still have to modify the DOS PATH variable
which I believe was your original concern.

> Thanks,
> Dominique

Your welcome,
==
-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
--earnie_boyd@yahoo.com--
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

* Re: Like-unix tree directories
@ 1998-07-18  6:00 ` CRETEL Dominique
From: CRETEL Dominique @ 1998-07-18  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd; +Cc: gw32

Hi Earnie,

@ 1998-07-18  6:00 ` James
From: James @ 1998-07-18  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dominique.cretel; +Cc: gnu-win32

Hi,
I think the question you asked is listed in the FAQ :-)
You must edit your registry with regedit and search for "cygnus" and then go
down the dir tree and you will find mount dir and look in from there. I think
you should be able to understand how it worked. After which restart cygnus
and run "mount".
You will see something like this:
HIVMASTER:/CYGNUS/B19$mount
Device           Directory           Type        Flags
E:\TEMP          /tmp                native      text!=binary
E:\My Documents  /root               native      text!=binary
C:               /mnt/winnt          native      text!=binary
D:               /mnt/scsi2          native      text!=binary
F:               /mnt/files          native      text!=binary
E:\CYGNUS\B19\H-I386~1\lib /lib                native      text!=binary
E:\CYGNUS\B19\H-I386~1\etc /etc                native      text!=binary
\\.\tape1:       /dev/st1            native      text!=binary
\\.\tape0:       /dev/st0            native      text!=binary
\\.\b:           /dev/fd1            native      text!=binary
\\.\a:           /dev/fd0            native      text!=binary
E:\CYGNUS\B19\H-I386~1\bin /bin                native      text!=binary
E:               /                   native      text!=binary

Good Luck
Regards,
James

CRETEL Dominique wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'll try to be clear!
>
> I'm using cygwin32 b19.1 and have installed it on my D: drive
> (D:\Cygnus\B19).
>
> I use also a lot of packages like: egcs, gas, perl, python, miktex,
> autoconf, man, vim and so on.
> So, I have to install them somewhere in the windows tree.
> But, I'll have to add a lot of paths to my PATH variable environment.
>
> I remember that in unix, you have a short PATH variable environment
> (like: PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin???).
>
> So, I would like to build a unix-like tree files.
>
> Under cygnus, It can be done for example by mounting device or
> directories to get something like unix tree files.
>
> For example:
> D:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32 mount as /bin unix-like directories,
> C:\texmf\MiKTeX\bin mount as /usr/local/bin ???
>
> Is it possible???
> How to to that???
> I know it's a big question.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions,
> Dominique.
> -

-

* Re: Like-unix tree directories
@ 1998-07-18  6:00 ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1998-07-18  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi,

[...]
>So, I would like to build a unix-like tree files.
>
>Under cygnus, It can be done for example by mounting device or
>directories to get something like unix tree files.

[...]
>D:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32 mount as /bin unix-like directories,
>C:\texmf\MiKTeX\bin mount as /usr/local/bin ???
>
>Is it possible???
>How to to that???

It is possible - at least I have everything in /usr and /usr/local.
But why bother with mounting things around ? I just used configure to
modify the install paths, compiled and installed the packages.

>I know it's a big question.

Not really :)

>Thanks for your suggestions,
>Dominique.

BYe.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
                         | WWW     http://aquarius.franken.de/
-

* Re: Like-unix tree directories
@ 1998-07-18  6:00 ` Andrew Lipnitsky
From: Andrew Lipnitsky @ 1998-07-18  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hello Dominique.

CRETEL Dominique wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'll try to be clear!
>
> I'm using cygwin32 b19.1 and have installed it on my D: drive
> (D:\Cygnus\B19).
>
> I use also a lot of packages like: egcs, gas, perl, python, miktex,
> autoconf, man, vim and so on.
> So, I have to install them somewhere in the windows tree.
> But, I'll have to add a lot of paths to my PATH variable environment.
>
> I remember that in unix, you have a short PATH variable environment
> (like: PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin???).
>
> So, I would like to build a unix-like tree files.
>
> Under cygnus, It can be done for example by mounting device or
> directories to get something like unix tree files.
>
> For example:
> D:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32 mount as /bin unix-like directories,
> C:\texmf\MiKTeX\bin mount as /usr/local/bin ???
>
> Is it possible???

Yes, of course.
At first you must create /bin and /usr/local/bin :
>cd /
>mkdir bin
then mount what you want to this by mount utility :
>mount -b D:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32 /bin

similarly for /usr/local/bin.

To learn how to use mount try:
>mount --help.

Best Regards.

Andrew Lipnitskt         ert@cit.org.by

-

* Re: Like-unix tree directories
@ 1998-07-17 18:55 ` CRETEL Dominique
From: CRETEL Dominique @ 1998-07-17 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd; +Cc: gw32

Earnie Boyd wrote:
> This is an interesting subject.  The delima is that the non-cygwin
> executables don't know about the mounted directory structure.  Yes,
> you could use the cygwin mount table to do what your suggesting.
> However, you are likely to run into the problem of the non-cygwin
> programs complaining about "file not found".

What do you mean with it?

Bye,
Dominique
-

* Re: Like-unix tree directories
@ 1998-07-17 18:55 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1998-07-17 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dominique.cretel; +Cc: gw32

---CRETEL Dominique <dominique.cretel@cfwb.be> wrote:

> Hi Earnie,
>
> Thanks for your very interesting answer.
>
> Excuse me, but my english is poor enough to not understand the word
> "delima".

Well, mine's not very good either, obviously.  That should have been
spelled dilemma and means, quoting Webster, a choice between
unfavorable alternatives.

Or in other words, you have to make a choice between:

1) Modifying the PATH variable for every package that has it's own
bin/ directory.

2) Creating standard UNIX directories and moving everything there.

3) Using the mount command and create logical directories to physical
directories and taking the chance of the non-cygwin programs
complaining.  For this option you would still need to modify the DOS
PATH variable for every package.  Also this limits the /usr/local/bin
to just one package.

All of these have equally unfavorable negatives, but, you have to
choose between one of them.

==
-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----