* 64 bit setup fails to run on WIndows 10
@ 2019-03-11 21:39 Adrian Blakey
From: Adrian Blakey @ 2019-03-11 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Any ideas why the 64 bit setup program fails to run at all on my corporate
Windows 10 laptop, whereas the 32 setup runs fine?

The symptoms are whenever I run it either from the finder or from the
command line it does not initialize or produce any output.

The machine is modern Lenovo Thinkpad that's only a couple of years old.
it's running:

Windows 10 Enterprise V 1703 OS Build 15063.1631 64 bit.

I believe I have admin rights however even if I try to run it with
--no-admin it makes no difference - it simply does not execute. I have
noticed the same behavior with a couple of other open source windows
installers.

* Re: 64 bit setup fails to run on WIndows 10
@ 2019-03-11 21:49 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2019-03-11 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Adrian Blakey writes:
> Any ideas why the 64 bit setup program fails to run at all on my corporate
> Windows 10 laptop, whereas the 32 setup runs fine?

One is whitelisted in whatever "protection" solution you are forced to
use and the other not.  Ask whoever is the vendor or your support to
check and whitelist the executable that is giving you grief.  In a
pinch, you can use the 32bit installer to install 64bit Cygwin by giving
it the appropriate --arch=x86_64 option from the command line.

https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.setup.cli

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: 64 bit setup fails to run on WIndows 10
@ 2019-03-12  0:43 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2019-03-12  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2019-03-11 15:39, Adrian Blakey wrote:
> Any ideas why the 64 bit setup program fails to run at all on my corporate
> Windows 10 laptop, whereas the 32 setup runs fine?
>
> The symptoms are whenever I run it either from the finder or from the
> command line it does not initialize or produce any output.
>
> The machine is modern Lenovo Thinkpad that's only a couple of years old.
> it's running:
>
> Windows 10 Enterprise V 1703 OS Build 15063.1631 64 bit.
>
> I believe I have admin rights however even if I try to run it with
> --no-admin it makes no difference - it simply does not execute. I have
> noticed the same behavior with a couple of other open source windows
> installers.
Remove the downloaded file's Alternate Data Stream Zone.Identifier or Unblock in
file properties, and make executable, then check for other impediments in
Cygwin's Big List Of Dodgy Apps

	https://www.cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA
at
	https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda