Hej Marco--- Thanks for your reply. I tried to send the cygcheck output to the Cygwin mailing list last week, but the file was too big (2M) and the post was rejected. I therefore put the file on a temporary platform for file exchange: http://exporter.nsc.liu.se/2ce844aaa0014c9f9cf889f2b062fdc7/cygcheck.out from where you should be able to fetch it. I tried to repeat exactly the example that you suggested, no success unfortunately. I attach the XWin logfile, maybe it helps you to spot anything. Best wishes, Klaus > -----Ursprungligt meddelande----- > Från: marco atzeri > Skickat: den 12 januari 2023 16:19 > Till: Wyser Klaus > Kopia: cygwin@cygwin.com > Ämne: Re: octave doesn't work any longer with qt graphics toolkit > > On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 3:32 PM Wyser Klaus via Cygwin wrote: > > > > Hej--- > > > > I got a new computer in September and installed Cygwin/X11 and many > > more packages, among others Octave (I think it was 5.2 back then). I have > been using cygwin and octave for 20 years already, so I'm not new to this. > Well, everything worked just fine until I happened to update some cygwin > packages in December, among others octave (to version 6.4). Unfortunately I > didn't pay attention to what else was updated in that go, usually these > regular updates (marked as "pending" in the setup) just work fine. Not this > time though: octave is still working, but not the graphics output. When > entering a command to plot something a figure window opens under X11, > but it is just a copy of the background and doesn't show what I wanted to > plot. Octave doesn't freeze, I can still work and do all the math stuff, it's just > the plotting that doesn't work any longer. After some troubleshooting I > found that it likely is a problem with the graphics_toolkit, I can make plots if I > set it to "gnuplot" but get th e problem when it is set to "qt" (which is the > default). > > > > So should I use "gnuplot" then? Well, that's not really an option because > gnuplot doesn't allow interaction with the figure (rotating, zooming), and > some of the more complicated plotting routines don't work properly any > more (e.g. contour plots). > > > > First I suspected this being a problem of the Octave update, but apparently > it's not the case. Even when going back to Octave 5.2 I still have the same > problem with the figure window. Searching the Internet didn't help, so I > wonder if I'm the only one having this problem with Octave? As said above, I > don't know exactly what other Cygwin packages have been updated at the > same time, so in principle it is possible that there is an incompatibility with > some other packages (OpenGL?) that were updated at the same time, I tried > reverting some libraries but it didn't help. I also tried to isolate the problem > by installing a very limited Cygwin setup from scratch, basically only X11 and > Octave, nothing else. I get the exact same error even with this very restricted > setup. > > > > When searching for help I also came across this page: > https://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Microsoft_Windows There is a Windows > version of Octave that can be installed independently from Cygwin (relying > on mingw64 in my case) and that installation works well (including graphics). > This is also a newer version of Octave (7.3) compared to the Cygwin package > (6.4). The Windows installation is a fallback option, however, I cannot > integrate it with my Cygwin environment which makes my workflows way > more complicated and I would prefer to have an Octave package for Cygwin. > > > > So my questions are: > > - Am I the only one in the Cygwin/X11 community with this kind of Octave > problem? > > - Is there something I can do about it (OpenGL/Qt...)? > > - Will there soon be a new Octave 7 release for Cygwin that hopefully > solves all my problems? > > > > Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks. > > > > ===== > > Klaus Wyser > > Rossby Centre > > SMHI > > > > Hi Klaus, > > the following works for me > > graphics_toolkit("qt") > x=1:10; > plot(x,x) > > can you provide your cygcheck.out as attachment ? > > see https://cygwin.com/problems.html > > About Octave 7, I am currently not very active on updating any package so do > not expect anything short term. > > Regards > Marco