* Re: No 'clear' in cygwin
       [not found] <1.5.4.16.19990122052900.132f8afc.cygnus.gnu-win32@fox.nstn.ca>
@ 1999-01-31 23:52 ` Christopher G. Faylor
From: Christopher G. Faylor @ 1999-01-31 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

In article <1.5.4.16.19990122052900.132f8afc.cygnus.gnu-win32@fox.nstn.ca>,
Tony Pires <t_pires@fox.nstn.ca> wrote:
>The following works for me under Win95:
>
>alias clear='/C/COMMAND.COM /c cls'
>
>This works even under Rxvt. Should be a simple matter to replace COMMAND
>with CMD under NT?

If the alias above is a bash alias, then all you need to do for bash
is type CTRL-L to clear the screen.
--
cgf@cygnus.com
http://www.cygnus.com/

* Re: No 'clear' in cygwin
@ 1999-01-31 23:52 ` Leif Jackson
From: Leif Jackson @ 1999-01-31 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael K. Elwood; +Cc: gnu-win32

Clear is part of the ncurses package :)

-Leif

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Michael K. Elwood wrote:

>Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 16:53:33 -0700
>From: Michael K. Elwood <mkelwood@qsicorp.com>
>To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>Subject: No 'clear' in cygwin
>
>Minor gripe of the day:
>
>Cygwin doesn't include a binary for the 'clear' command. :-(
>
>Come to think of it, does anybody know what GNU package would contain this
>handy little util?
>
>Thanks.
>
>MKE
>

>-

  | Jackson Consulting & Isle of Avalon Networks          |
  | Programmer && Linux Enthusiast http://www.islenet.org |
  |  "Linux is NT's ultimate Service pack" - Adam Wright  |

* Re: No 'clear' in cygwin
@ 1999-01-31 23:52 ` Weiqi Gao
From: Weiqi Gao @ 1999-01-31 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael K. Elwood, gnu-win32

"Michael K. Elwood" wrote:

> Minor gripe of the day:
>
> Cygwin doesn't include a binary for the 'clear' command. :-(
>
> Come to think of it, does anybody know what GNU package would contain this
> handy little util?

The GNU readline library has a function called rl-clear_screen() that
would clear the screen.  GNU bash is usually built with the readline
library.  The default key binding for this function is C-l (^L,
control+L).

--
Weiqi Gao
weiqigao@a.crl.com