* No Subject
@ 1999-03-02  8:04 Anjlica Malla
       [not found] ` < 000901be64c6$90bd9b80$89055280@oemcomputer >
From: Anjlica Malla @ 1999-03-02  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Re: <kein Betreff>
       [not found] ` < 000901be64c6$90bd9b80$89055280@oemcomputer >
@ 1999-03-04 15:14   ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1999-03-04 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Anjlica,

first - please don't send your mails to the list in both text and html
format. Just text would be sufficient!

[...]
>i have a problem with mount and was unable to find it in the faq =
>archives.
>when i type mount c: / i get a message: mount failed: device or resource =
>busy.

There is no need to mount the root directory after having installed the
tools. It gets mounted during the setup.
Besides that it is hard to remount the root directory from inside bash.
You have to do it either by changing the registry directly or you can
do the following:

cd <your cygwin bin directory>
umount / && ./mount c:/ /

>thanks for any suggestions.
>anjlica

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
                         | WWW     http://aquarius.franken.de/

* Re: <kein Betreff>
@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Anjlica,

first - please don't send your mails to the list in both text and html
format. Just text would be sufficient!

[...]
>i have a problem with mount and was unable to find it in the faq =
>archives.
>when i type mount c: / i get a message: mount failed: device or resource =
>busy.

There is no need to mount the root directory after having installed the
tools. It gets mounted during the setup.
Besides that it is hard to remount the root directory from inside bash.
You have to do it either by changing the registry directly or you can
do the following:

cd <your cygwin bin directory>
umount / && ./mount c:/ /

>thanks for any suggestions.
>anjlica

Bye.
Michael.
--

@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Anjlica Malla
From: Anjlica Malla @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* <kein Betreff>
@ 2006-10-30 14:15 sabine.petry
From: sabine.petry @ 2006-10-30 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I couldn't find an answer to this problem in any of the documentation and FAQs:

When I start the X server system and connect to another computer, I usually work with several terminal windows. I used to be able to bring a terminal window to the front by clicking on its frame. However, this does not work any more for no obvious reason.
At the same time other people logging in with cygwin from other workstations but with the same account don't have this problem. Therefore it seems to stem from the setup of cygwin on my computer.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem and does anyone have a solution?

Thanks a lot!

Sabine

(I can still use the menu of the terminal window by using "lower" to bring the terminal window to the back. However, therefore it is necessary to have the menu accessible and it can't bring windows to the front. Reactiving this by clicking onto the terminal window frame would be the best thing.)

* Re: <kein Betreff>
@ 2006-06-08  7:14     ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2006-06-08  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Reformatted top-post.

Serethos wrote:
 > Thx for your answer. But I called the guys from the SWIG mailing list
 > and they stated that
 > my problem can not be solved with SWIG. It would only be useful if I
 > wished to use a
 > e.g. c-program for another language.
 > Any other ideas?

Off the top of my head, no.  Well, other than manually creating C-callable
interfaces yourself.  But I'll bet there's a project out there that would
help you do this if you poke around.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: <kein Betreff>
@ 2006-06-07 22:35   ` Serethos
From: Serethos @ 2006-06-07 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2006-06-07  2:48 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2006-06-07  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2006-06-06 20:21 Maurice Hüllein
From: Maurice Hüllein @ 2006-06-06 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1998-05-28 18:15 ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1998-05-28 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi Gilbert,

>Hi,
>
>Can somebody told me how to install the manual suite in the gnu-win32 b19 ?
>I have downloaded the whole package, but there no instruction on how to
>install the manual.  It seem that there is no man command in the gnu-win32
>package.

You're right - there is no "man" command in CDK and the manpages package.
However:

------------------------< snip snip snip >-----------------------------

   *man-1.4j*
   --------

   - what is it?
     - Program for displaying man-pages on the screen or sending them
       to a printer (using groff).

   - system
     - Windows NT4 German / SP3

   - preliminaries
     - none

   - configure
     - edit configure
       - change "prefix=/usr" to "prefix=/usr/local"
         (or whatever you want or just leave it as it is)
     - run "configure -d"

   - make
     - edit src/man.c
       - add "#include <getopt.h>"
       - comment out line 1020 (setlocale)
     - edit src/Makefile.in
       - add "-DNONLS" to "DEFS="
     - edit src/util.c
       - comment out line 93 and 94 (setreuid, setregid)
     - run "make" as normal

   - make install
     - works without changes
     - edit /usr/local/lib/man.config according to your system

   - notes
     - couldn't get man-1.5a to run properly, you can build it nearly
       the same way as 1.4j, but it will crash, whenever you run the
       resulting binary

   - package availability
     - on ftp.franken.de
     - in /pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/porters/Hirmke_Michael
     - as man-1.4j-win32-bin.tar.gz
     - or man-1.4j-win32-bin.zip

   - contributed by
     - mh@mike.franken.de (Michael Hirmke)

------------------------< snip snip snip >-----------------------------

If it should be of any use, you also need:
------------------------< snip snip snip >-----------------------------

   *groff-1.10*
   ----------

   - what is it?
     - The groff package provides compatible versions of troff, nroff,
       eqn, tbl, and other Unix text-formatting utilities.
       Groff is used to "compile" man-pages stored in groff/nroff
       format for different output devices; e.g., for displaying to a
       screen or in PostScript(tm) format for printing on a
       PostScript(tm) printer.

   - system
     - Windows NT4 German / SP3

   - preliminaries
     - /bin/sh has to be *bash, not ash*
       - umount /bin (if mounted)
       - cp <cygnus>/bash.exe /bin/sh.exe

   - configure
     - works without changes

   - make
     - edit ./Makefile
       - turn off optimization (-O in CFLAGS and CCFLAGS);
         with optimization turned on, you may run into trouble with
         random crashes - for example with large man pages
         (due to a hint from Andy Piper)
     - edit ./tmac/Makefile.sub
       - create a new first line "SHELL=/usr/bin/ash"
         (or whatever your "ash" is); this is necessay, because
         "bash" can't handle a "for" loop with an empty list in
         this Makefile
     - run "make" as normal

   - make install
     - works without changes

   - notes
     - it is a bit crazy, but you really need both shells to build
       this package - of course you could also change the Makefiles,oe
       so they all work with one shell

   - package availability
     - on ftp.franken.de
     - in /pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/porters/Hirmke_Michael
     - as groff-1.10-win32-bin.tar.gz
     - or groff-1.10-win32-bin.zip

   - contributed by
     - mh@mike.franken.de (Michael Hirmke)

------------------------< snip snip snip >-----------------------------

and:
------------------------< snip snip snip >-----------------------------

   *less-321*
   --------

   - what is it?
     - Less is a pager program similar to more (1), but allows backward
       as well as forward movement within a file. Also, less does not
       have to read the entire input file before starting. It is also
       possible to start an editor at any time from this program.

   - system
     - Windows NT4 German / SP3

   - preliminaries
     - you first have to install *ncurses-4.1*
     - replace all "iprintf" in "output.c" with a different,
       but unique name, for example "less_iprintf"

   - configure
     - works without changes

   - make
     - works without changes

   - make install
     - works without changes

   - notes
     - works the same way for less-332
       (according to noer@cygnus.com  (Geoffrey Noer))

   - package availability
     - on ftp.franken.de
     - in /pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/porters/Hirmke_Michael
     - as less-321-win32-bin.tar.gz
     - or less-321-win32-bin.zip

   - contributed by
     - mh@mike.franken.de (Michael Hirmke)

------------------------< snip snip snip >-----------------------------

>Thanks
>
>Gilbert.

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
90489 Nuernberg          | E-Mail  mailto:mh@mike.franken.de
                         | WWW     http://minimike.franken.de/
-

* Re: (Kein "Betreff")
@ 1998-01-29  4:47 ` root
From: root @ 1998-01-29  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lothar Werzinger; +Cc: gnu-win32

> Hi,
>
> as I got no reply until now, I try to resen this (slightly modified)
> message
>
> Is it possible to debug executables which were produced by the MSVC++
> (DevStudio 97 Service Pack 2) compiler with gdb? As far as I know, gdb
> supports COFF. but when I load the executable, gdb complains about
> finding no debug information.

It finds no debug information it can understand, that is.
gdb uses (as for as I know) a format for the debug information called
"stabs", that was developed in Unix, and stores a textual representation
(mostly ascii) of the types and variables used in the program. In this
way the debugger can know what is going on.

MSVC compilers generate debug information in a format called NB09, a
mostly binary representation, and thus much more compact than stabs.
I have written a debugger for windows for my system lcc-win32. I used the
MSVC format, so my code is compatible with MSVC and can be debugged with
a real debugger. Cygnus choose to leave gdb alone, so gdb uses a format
that no one else in the windows world will understand.

> As far as I found out gdb is capable of loading and executing the
> binary. The only thing I would need, is a converter that makes a gdb
> symbol file out of the *.pdb files of the MSVC++ compiler.

The .pdb format is (as far as I know) undocumented, as opposed to the NB09.

> Has anybody
> written such a program or is doing so?

I have proposed several times to the people of cygnus to write a converter
but they manifested no interest. Obviously I will not do it for free, since
gdb is a product commercialized by cygnus and I do not feel like working for
free so somebody else makes money out of it. Nothing against people making
money obviously, but if I contribute to a commercial undertaking I want my
share of it.

> Besides the fact that the .pdb
> files are MS and binary, it should be just a question of demangling the
> MS names and remangle them in a way gdb understands them or?

Making that program is a very difficult undertaking. I think it would take
me 2 months full time. It is 'just a question' of:

1) Reading all the symbolic information from the program database.
2) Reading the type information.
3) Reading the line number information.
4) Reading the files information.
5) Generating the stabs information.
and finally
6) Reorganize the executable file so that incorporates the .stabs information
   in it.

It is just a question of writing it of course... :-)

--
Jacob Navia	Logiciels/Informatique
41 rue Maurice Ravel			Tel 01 48.23.51.44

* Re: (Kein "Betreff")
@ 1998-01-28 14:54 ` Vadim V. Sytnikov
From: Vadim V. Sytnikov @ 1998-01-28 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lothar Werzinger wrote:

> As far as I found out gdb is capable of loading and executing the
> binary. The only thing I would need, is a converter that makes a gdb
> symbol file out of the *.pdb files of the MSVC++ compiler. Has anybody
> written such a program or is doing so?

As far as I remember, there is /Z7 ( "old style debug info" ) VC++
switch
that forces storing debug info within .exe files.

--
Vadim Sytnikov,
Gamos JSC, Moscow, Russia:

mailto:sytnikov@ru.com
mailto:sytnikov@gamos.ru
mailto:sytnikov@gamos.msk.su
mailto:vadims@snt.mlt.zaporizhzhe.ua
http://www.gamos.ru

-

* (Kein "Betreff")
@ 1998-01-27 22:46 Lothar Werzinger
From: Lothar Werzinger @ 1998-01-27 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

as I got no reply until now, I try to resen this (slightly modified)
message

Is it possible to debug executables which were produced by the MSVC++
(DevStudio 97 Service Pack 2) compiler with gdb? As far as I know, gdb
supports COFF. but when I load the executable, gdb complains about
finding no debug information.

As far as I found out gdb is capable of loading and executing the
binary. The only thing I would need, is a converter that makes a gdb
symbol file out of the *.pdb files of the MSVC++ compiler. Has anybody
written such a program or is doing so? Besides the fact that the .pdb
files are MS and binary, it should be just a question of demangling the
MS names and remangle them in a way gdb understands them or?

Lothar
--

KRONES AG
Hermann Kronseder Maschinenfabrik

Lothar Werzinger Dipl.-Ing.Univ.
Dept.  EW
Phone: +49-(0)9401/70-3499
Fax:   +49-(0)9401/70-3091
Email: lwerzinger@krones.de

-

* Re: <kein Betreff>
@ 1998-01-25 14:40 ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1998-01-25 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi Bruce,

>I have searched the archives but haven't seen this one
>reported yet (but I might have missed it).
>
>du reports sizes in 2k blocks.  It should report sizes using
>a block size of 1k.

Nope, this depends on how you have configured it - at least when running
it with Linux.

From the du man page:

       for each subdirectory of directory arguments.   The  space
       is  measured  in 1K blocks by default, unless the environ-
       ment  variable  POSIXLY_CORRECT  is  set,  in  which  case
       512-byte blocks are used.

[...]
>Bruce Hunsaker - bruceh@ieighty.net

Bye.
Michael.
--

@ 1997-10-01 13:41 ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1997-10-01 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi Hyung,

>How can i install if i do not have Windows NT/95?

What system do you use then ?
It seems to be some kind of U*ix, cause you use Pine as your mailreader.
If so, you just have to use the gcc included in your distribution - or
to buy an appropriate compiler, if gcc is not available for you system.

If your Pine is the one running on DOS and therefore you need gcc for
DOS, you should have a look at http://www.delorie.com !

Bye.
Michael.
--

@ 1997-08-17  7:17 ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1997-08-17  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi IGnatius,

[...]

http://miracle.geol.msu.ru/sos/

>  I would also like to know how one goes about configuring a program like
> inetd to automatically start up when NT is booted ... in essence, to set
> it up as a "service", I guess.

See description on that page.

>  Thanks in advance!

Bye.