* make problem in NT
@ 1999-03-08 16:13 Chandra Kala Chavva
       [not found] ` < Pine.LNX.3.95.990308170914.4131A-100000@cheetah.zsp.com >
From: Chandra Kala Chavva @ 1999-03-08 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I installed latest cygnus tools in Windows NT platform. I want to port my
Linux tools to Windows NT platform and when i invoked the same Makefile
(which works in Linux), i am getting the following error

    /c: Can't open /c
    make: *** [sub_dirs] Error 2

Can someone help me?
Thankyou Chandra

Hint: Is this releated to mount?

* Re: make problem in NT
       [not found] ` < Pine.LNX.3.95.990308170914.4131A-100000@cheetah.zsp.com >
@ 1999-03-09 12:48   ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1999-03-09 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Chandra,

[...]
>Linux tools to Windows NT platform and when i invoked the same Makefile
>(which works in Linux), i am getting the following error
>
>    /c: Can't open /c
>    make: *** [sub_dirs] Error 2

Did you set MAKE_MODE=unix?

>Can someone help me?
>Thankyou Chandra

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
                         | WWW     http://aquarius.franken.de/

* g++ is not complete
       [not found] ` < Pine.LNX.3.95.990308170914.4131A-100000@cheetah.zsp.com >
@ 1999-03-09 12:52   ` Chandra Kala Chavva
       [not found]     ` < Pine.LNX.3.95.990309134603.6885A-100000@cheetah.zsp.com >
From: Chandra Kala Chavva @ 1999-03-09 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

i installed lates cygnus tools and when i tried to compile C++ programs, i
am getting some header files not available error messages. The headers are

         pix.h
         obstack.h
         builtin.h
         std.h

I am used to vi editor and seems like vi is not available too.

Please get back to me as soon as possible.

Thanks
Chandra

* Re: g++ is not complete
       [not found]     ` < Pine.LNX.3.95.990309134603.6885A-100000@cheetah.zsp.com >
@ 1999-03-09 14:11       ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-03-09 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chandra Kala Chavva; +Cc: cygwin

Chandra Kala Chavva <chandra@zsp.com> writes:
> i installed lates cygnus tools and when i tried to compile C++ programs, i
> am getting some header files not available error messages. The headers are
>
>          pix.h
>          obstack.h
>          builtin.h
>          std.h

These have never been part of C++, but rather part of a 3rd party library
(libg++). Libg++ is obsolete and users of this once quite useful library
have been migrating their code for the past few years.

Please get a recent book on C++ (Stroustrup 3rd Ed is quite well written),
and, if you're serious about programming in C++, a copy of the standard as
well from ANSI ($18 gets you a PDF version).

Please send followup to gnu.g++.help.

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: g++ is not complete
       [not found]     ` < Pine.LNX.3.95.990309134603.6885A-100000@cheetah.zsp.com >
@ 1999-03-09 14:47       ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1999-03-09 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Chandra,

[...]
>I am used to vi editor and seems like vi is not available too.

Perhaps this helps a bit:

------------------------< snip snip snip >-----------------------------

   *vim-5.3*
   -------

   - what is it?
     - Vim (Vi Improved) is an almost compatible version of the UNIX
       editor vi whereby almost every possible command can be performed
       using only ASCII characters. Only the 'Q' command is missing
       (you don't need it). Many new features have been added: multi
       level undo, command line history, filename completion, block
       operations, editing of binary data, etc. Vi is available for
       the AMIGA, MS-DOS, Windows NT, and various versions of UNIX.

   - system
     - Windows NT4 German / SP3

   - Cygwin
     - for B20
     - binary mounts only
     - CYGWIN=title strip_title binmode glob tty

   - preliminaries
     - you first have to install *ncurses-4.x*, if you want vim to
       run in another terminal mode than the builtin ones
     - you first have to install *X11R6.3*, if you want vim with
       X11 GUI support
     - get the source packages
       - vim-5.3-src.tar.gz (the source code)
       - vim-5.3-rt.tar.gz (the so called runtime system)
       somewhere from the net or your favourite Linux distribution

   - configure
     - works without changes with these parameters:
       ./configure \
          --prefix=/usr/local \
          --disable-perlinterp \
          --disable-pythoninterp

       or for a vim without any GUI support
       ./configure \
          --prefix=/usr/local \
          --disable-perlinterp \
          --disable-pythoninterp \
          --disable-gui \
          --without-x

   - make
     - works without changes

   - make install
     - you have to create a few directories first - no idea, why they
       are not created automatically !?!?
       - mkdir -p <prefix>/share/vim/doc
       - mkdir -p <prefix>/share/vim/syntax
       - mkdir -p <prefix>/share/vim/macros
     - export SUFFIX=.exe
     - now "make install" runs without further problems

     - you can use the following script for all the steps above:

       --------------------< snip snip snip >--------------------------
       #!/bin/sh

       set -x

       pref=/usr/local
       mode=nogui

       case "$mode" in
       nogui)
         cfgopts=" \
           --prefix=$pref \
           --disable-cscope \
           --disable-perlinterp \
           --disable-pythoninterp \
           --disable-tclinterp \
           --disable-gui \
           --without-x \
         "
         ;;
       gui)
         cfgopts=" \
           --prefix=$pref \
           --disable-cscope \
           --disable-perlinterp \
           --disable-pythoninterp \
           --disable-tclinterp \
         "
         ;;
       esac

       ./configure $cfgopts && \

       make && \

       mkdir -p $pref/share/vim/doc && \
       mkdir -p $pref/share/vim/syntax && \
       mkdir -p $pref/share/vim/macros && \

       export SUFFIX=.exe && \
       make install
       --------------------< snip snip snip >--------------------------

   - notes
     - if the X11R6.3 package is installed, you get GUI support, too;
       the process for building the package is the same, though

   - package availability
     - on ftp.franken.de
     - in /pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Hirmke_Michael/B20
     - or vim-5.3-cygwin-b20-builtin-term-bin.tar.gz
     - or vim-5.3-cygwin-b20-builtin-term-bin.zip
     - or vim-5.3-cygwin-b20-without-gui-bin.tar.gz
     - or vim-5.3-cygwin-b20-without-gui-bin.zip
     (- or vim-5.3-cygwin-b20-with-gui-bin.tar.gz)
     (- or vim-5.3-cygwin-b20-with-gui-bin.zip)

   - contributed by
     - mh@mike.franken.de (Michael Hirmke)

------------------------< snip snip snip >-----------------------------

>Please get back to me as soon as possible.
>
>Thanks
>Chandra

Bye.
Michael.
--

@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` Chandra Kala Chavva
From: Chandra Kala Chavva @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-03-31 19:45         ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chandra Kala Chavva; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Chandra,

[...]
>Linux tools to Windows NT platform and when i invoked the same Makefile
>(which works in Linux), i am getting the following error
>
>    /c: Can't open /c
>    make: *** [sub_dirs] Error 2

Did you set MAKE_MODE=unix?

>Can someone help me?
>Thankyou Chandra

Bye.
Michael.

From: Michael Hirmke @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Chandra,

[...]
> [...]

       make install
       --------------------< snip snip snip >--------------------------

   - notes
     - if the X11R6.3 package is installed, you get GUI support, too;
       the process for building the package is the same, though

   - package availability
     - on ftp.franken.de
     - in /pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Hirmke_Michael/B20
     - or vim-5.3-cygwin-b20-builtin-term-bin.tar.gz
     - or vim-5.3-cygwin-b20-builtin-term-bin.zip
     - or vim-5.3-cygwin-b20-without-gui-bin.tar.gz
     - or vim-5.3-cygwin-b20-without-gui-bin.zip
     (- or vim-5.3-cygwin-b20-with-gui-bin.tar.gz)
     (- or vim-5.3-cygwin-b20-with-gui-bin.zip)

   - contributed by
     - mh@mike.franken.de (Michael Hirmke)

------------------------< snip snip snip >-----------------------------

>Please get back to me as soon as possible.

Bye.
Michael.

From: Chandra Kala Chavva @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chandra Kala Chavva, cygwin

>i installed lates cygnus tools and when i tried to compile C++
programs, i
>am getting some header files not available error messages. The headers
are

>         pix.h
>         obstack.h
>         builtin.h

These 3 headers are not standard UNIX headers for C++, anyway.  I assume
your code must provide them.  I could not find them on LINUX and SGI.
May be I am mising something here?

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chandra Kala Chavva, cygwin

What do you expect?  A full blown UNIX system runing on NT and available
in a single download?
Read the FAQ, check the software links at Cygnus site, all what you need
is available from Cygwin contributors and links are clearly mentioned on
their web pages. go to http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin

Regards

Suhaib

>i installed lates cygnus tools and when i tried to compile C++
programs, i
>am getting some header files not available error messages. The headers
are

>         pix.h
>         obstack.h
>         builtin.h
>         std.h
>
>I am used to vi editor and seems like vi is not available too.
>
>Please get back to me as soon as possible.
>
>Thanks
>Chandra
>

>--

* Re: g++ is not complete
@ 1999-03-09 13:26 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-09 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chandra Kala Chavva, cygwin

>i installed lates cygnus tools and when i tried to compile C++
programs, i
>am getting some header files not available error messages. The headers
are

>         pix.h
>         obstack.h
>         builtin.h

These 3 headers are not standard UNIX headers for C++, anyway.  I assume
your code must provide them.  I could not find them on LINUX and SGI.
May be I am mising something here?

>         std.h
>
>I am used to vi editor and seems like vi is not available too.
>
>Please get back to me as soon as possible.
>
>Thanks
>Chandra
>

>--

* Re: g++ is not complete