* /dev/fd0 no medium found and does not exist?
@ 2008-05-07  1:49 Adam McCarthy
From: Adam McCarthy @ 2008-05-07  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have Cygwin currently installed on a Windows XP Home Machine.

I installed Cygwin without my USB floppy drive being plugged in.

Now Cygwin doesn't seem to wait to access the floppy in any way.
Windows it self can see the floppy just fine and format them.

I checked my mount table:

$ mount
C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
\\.\a: on /dev/fd0 type system (binmode)
 c: on /cygdrive/c type system (binmode,noumount)
d: on /cygdrive/d type system (binmode,noumount)
m: on /cygdrive/m type system (binmode,noumount)
y: on /cygdrive/y type system (binmode,noumount)
z: on /cygdrive/z type system (binmode,noumount)

Then did unmount /dev/fd0 then mount -s -b //./a: /dev/fd0 but then
get mount: warning - /dev/fd0 does not exist.

I know this USB floppy drive works in Cygwin because I have used it in
another Cygwin that I just installed.

* Re: /dev/fd0 no medium found and does not exist?
@ 2008-05-07 10:03 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-05-07 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On May  6 21:12, Adam McCarthy wrote:
> \\.\a: on /dev/fd0 type system (binmode)

This sort of device mount is deprecated for many years. Read
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#id319619

OTOH, what are you trying to do?  /dev/fd0 is only for raw device
access.  If you just want to copy files to or from the drive, the path
to your drive is available as /cygdrive/<DRIVELETTER>, as in your
mount table:

> d: on /cygdrive/d type system (binmode,noumount)
> m: on /cygdrive/m type system (binmode,noumount)
> y: on /cygdrive/y type system (binmode,noumount)
> z: on /cygdrive/z type system (binmode,noumount)

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: /dev/fd0 no medium found and does not exist?
@ 2008-05-07 14:57   ` Adam McCarthy
From: Adam McCarthy @ 2008-05-07 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Well, I had to do dd if=floppyimage of=/dev/fd0 but other than that, I
don't need /dev/fd0.

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 5:55 AM, Corinna Vinschen
<corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On May  6 21:12, Adam McCarthy wrote:
>  > \\.\a: on /dev/fd0 type system (binmode)
>
>  This sort of device mount is deprecated for many years. Read
>  http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#id319619
>
>  OTOH, what are you trying to do?  /dev/fd0 is only for raw device
>  access.  If you just want to copy files to or from the drive, the path
>  to your drive is available as /cygdrive/<DRIVELETTER>, as in your
>  mount table:
>

>  > d: on /cygdrive/d type system (binmode,noumount)
>  > m: on /cygdrive/m type system (binmode,noumount)
>  > y: on /cygdrive/y type system (binmode,noumount)
>  > z: on /cygdrive/z type system (binmode,noumount)
>

>  Corinna
>
>  --
>  Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
>  Cygwin Project Co-Leader          cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
>  Red Hat
>
>  --

Adam McCarthy - Currently 19 years old with the energy of a 3 year old
but the knowledge of a 50+ year old.

-MySpace: www.myspace.com/mrredpenguin
-AIM: JTownHomie50
-MSN Messenger: adam15906@hotmail.com
-Yahoo Messenger: Adam1215906

-Dedicated Cambria County, PA, USA Radio/Police Scannerer
-Dedicated CamTran(Ubran)/CamTran+(Rural) Rider/Buff(Fan)
-Dedicated CamTran+ Rural VIP Pass Buyer
-Dedicated UNIX/Linux Amateur/Buff
-Dedicated Computer Amateur/Buff
-Dedicated NYC Online Scanner Listener
-Dedicated Pennsylvania Highlands Community College/Cambria County
Community College Computer/Technical Student
-Dedicated at some many other things it would make my signature 25+ pages long

* Re: /dev/fd0 no medium found and does not exist?
@ 2008-05-07 14:59     ` Adam McCarthy
From: Adam McCarthy @ 2008-05-07 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Oh and I uninstalled my old Cygwin, which was probably at least a year
and a half old and it believe I broke it in some places, but did a
completely new Cygwin and Cygwin runs much faster and now dd
if=image.dd of=/dev/fd0 works just fine.

@ 2008-05-07 15:46       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-05-07 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On May  7 10:56, Adam McCarthy wrote:
> Oh and I uninstalled my old Cygwin, which was probably at least a year
> and a half old and it believe I broke it in some places, but did a
> completely new Cygwin and Cygwin runs much faster and now dd
> if=image.dd of=/dev/fd0 works just fine.

Good to read that, but:

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR
http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU

> >  but the knowledge of a 50+ year old.
> > [...]

I have a few doubts, otherwise you'd know RFC 1855 and what it says
about the length of signatures.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: /dev/fd0 no medium found and does not exist?
@ 2008-05-07 21:19         ` Adam McCarthy
From: Adam McCarthy @ 2008-05-07 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I do aplogize for that, I should have remember about spam and quoting
raw email addresses. I don't know why I forget some times, I guess I'm
just used to replying on newsgroups but I do know I need to get GMail
to stop quoting the emails that were sent or at least the email
addresses.
> http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR
> http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU
>
> > >  but the knowledge of a 50+ year old.
> > > [...]
>
> I have a few doubts, otherwise you'd know RFC 1855 and what it says
> about the length of signatures.
Yes you are right. I did make a mistake in the size of my signature. I
also realized, that I was making spam avaible my adding my IM's in my
signature. The 50+ was a joke anyway. I removed most of my signature
because it was non-needed stuff anyway, but I think I will probably
remove my IM stuff because of possibility of IM spam as well.