* w2k problem with new release and autoconf and with reversion to old
@ 2000-04-20  5:55 Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2000-04-20  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I installed the new release by the [i] route, which takes
several hours using the utk mirror.  It appeared to be working,
but autoconf is broken when invoked from make. Does it require a
special environement setting?

 I reverted laboriously to the old cygwin, which is working fine
for Administrator, but now /tmp and /bin aren't visible except
to Administrator.

* Re: w2k problem with new release and autoconf and with reversion to old
@ 2000-04-20  6:30 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-04-20  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Prince; +Cc: cygwin

Tim Prince wrote:

> I installed the new release by the [i] route, which takes
> several hours using the utk mirror.  It appeared to be working,
> but autoconf is broken when invoked from make. Does it require a
> special environement setting?
>
>  I reverted laboriously to the old cygwin, which is working fine
> for Administrator, but now /tmp and /bin aren't visible except
> to Administrator.

This is by design. There's a difference now between `user' mount
points and `system' mount points. setup.exe creates all mount
points as `user' mount points. For the purpose of creating
`system' mount points, mount.exe has a new option `-s' now.

So, what you have to do to get some mount points working for all
users on the machine is to create the mount points of choice as
`system' mount points and - if they are already in your `user'
mount point table - remove them from your personel mount table:

	mount -s -b -f D:/cygwin /
	umount /

The mount command shows which type of mount point you have, eg:

$ mount
Device			Directory	Type	Flags
D:\cygwin\usr\lib	/lib		user	binmode
D:\cygwin		/		system	binmode
C:			/home		user	textmode

umount.exe has the option `-s' as well to erase `system' mount
points.

Try `mount --help', `umount --help' for getting help of all options.

Hope this helps,
Corinna

* Re: w2k problem with new release and autoconf and with reversion to old
@ 2000-04-20 11:34   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-04-20 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 03:21:08PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>Tim Prince wrote:
>> I installed the new release by the [i] route, which takes
>> several hours using the utk mirror.  It appeared to be working,
>> but autoconf is broken when invoked from make. Does it require a
>> special environement setting?
>>
>>  I reverted laboriously to the old cygwin, which is working fine
>> for Administrator, but now /tmp and /bin aren't visible except
>> to Administrator.
>
>This is by design. There's a difference now between `user' mount
>points and `system' mount points. setup.exe creates all mount
>points as `user' mount points. For the purpose of creating
>`system' mount points, mount.exe has a new option `-s' now.

Hmm.  Should we change this?  It is no problem to make all of the
mounts that setup does system mounts.  It would require that you
have administrator privileges to run cygwin, though.

The autoconf problems are undoubtedly due to \r\n line endings.
The setup program mounts everything as binary mounts.

cgf

* Re: w2k problem with new release and autoconf and with reversion to old
@ 2000-04-20 12:20     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-04-20 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 03:21:08PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >[...]
> >This is by design. There's a difference now between `user' mount
> >points and `system' mount points. setup.exe creates all mount
> >points as `user' mount points. For the purpose of creating
> >`system' mount points, mount.exe has a new option `-s' now.
>
> Hmm.  Should we change this?  It is no problem to make all of the
> mounts that setup does system mounts.  It would require that you
> have administrator privileges to run cygwin, though.

How about a question in the style of:

"Do you want to make a user(U) or a workgroup(W) installation?"

The README could contain the explaination what there happens.

Just an attempt....
Corinna

* Re: w2k problem with new release and autoconf and with reversion to ol
@ 2000-04-20 14:00 ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 2000-04-20 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Tim,

>I installed the new release by the [i] route, which takes
>several hours using the utk mirror.  It appeared to be working,

Anyone - especially people from Europe - is invited to use
ftp.franken.de to download Cygwin packages, snapshots or net releases.

[...]

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664