* RE: Making GCC 2.95.2 Problems
@ 2000-02-22 11:07 Boyer, Galen
From: Boyer, Galen @ 2000-02-22 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)',
	'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

> Nothing.  Don't use "e:".  This is NFS syntax for remote paths.  You've
> mounted e: to /e so use that instead.

That worked just great.  Thanks Larry.

BTW, thank you very much Earnie for your help this morning.

Now, the only thing is that after I installed full.exe, (quite a bit of time
ago) from cygnus, I renamed the H-i586-cygwin32, based on a recommendation
from http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/dir1.html (A good getting
started layout for developers.  I'm guessing now that I misread what this
meant.  I am a developer using cygnus, not a developer of cygnus)

I'm pretty sure that usr needed to be renamed back to H-i586-cygwin32   I
did this, untarred and vhalla, I have gcj.  Awesome.  Now, when I execute
"gcj Hello.java" I get the following error.

gcj: libgcj.spec: No such file or directory

In my .bashrc, I tried the following three configurations:

1)
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/H-i586-cygwin32/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export CLASSPATH=/H-i586-cygwin32/local/share/libgcj.zip

Then I thought the mounting might be a problem,
2)
export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=c:/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_P
ATH
export CLASSPATH=c:/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/local/share/libgcj.zip

Then I realized that Larry had given me some advice that would solve the c:
issue.
3)
export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/c/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_P
ATH
export CLASSPATH=/c/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/local/share/libgcj.zip

The file, libgcj.spec definitely exists in the referenced directory. I still
got the error.

What should I do?

* Re: Making GCC 2.95.2 problems
@ 2000-02-22 21:42 N8TM
From: N8TM @ 2000-02-22 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hungchen, cygwin

In a message dated 2/22/2000 6:49:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
hungchen@ms1.seeder.net writes:

> $../gcc-2.95.2/configure
../../gcc-2.95.2/gcc/libgcc2.c:41: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
../../gcc-2.95.2/gcc/libgcc2.c:42: unistd.h: No such file or directory
What should I do?

I suppose, put the expected include files which you wish to be used in the
(default) installation directory /usr/local

Similar problems may come up with no lib directory.

Tim
tprince@computer.org

* Making GCC 2.95.2 problems
@ 2000-02-22 18:47 Hungchen
From: Hungchen @ 2000-02-22 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Cygwin (E-mail)

Dear all

I got   binutils-2.9.1.tar.gz and gcc-2.95.2.tar.gz
then built them with following intructions

$mkdir build-binutils
$cd build-binutils
$../binutils-2.9.1/configure
$make all install
$cd ..

====> successful.

$mkdir build-gcc
$cd build-gcc
$../gcc-2.95.2/configure
$make all install

====> following errors appeared.

rm -f tmplibgcc2.a
for name in _muldi3 _divdi3 _moddi3 _udivdi3 _umoddi3 _negdi2 _lshrdi3 _ashldi3
_ashrdi3 _ffsdi2 _udiv_w_sdiv _udivmoddi4 _cmpdi2 _ucmpdi2 _floatdidf _floatdisf
 _fixunsdfsi _fixunssfsi _fixunsdfdi _fixdfdi _fixunssfdi _fixsfdi _fixxfdi _fix
unsxfdi _floatdixf _fixunsxfsi _fixtfdi _fixunstfdi _floatditf __gcc_bcmp _varar
gs __dummy _eprintf _bb _shtab _clear_cache _trampoline __main _exit _ctors _pur
e; \
do \
  echo ${name}; \
  /usr/src/build-gcc/gcc/xgcc -B/usr/src/build-gcc/gcc/ -B/usr/local/i586-pc-cyg
win32/bin/ -I/usr/local/i586-pc-cygwin32/include -O2 -I../../gcc-2.95.2/gcc/../w
insup/include  -DIN_GCC     -g -O2 -I./include   -g1  -DIN_LIBGCC2 -D__GCC_FLOAT
_NOT_NEEDED   -I. -I../../gcc-2.95.2/gcc -I../../gcc-2.95.2/gcc/config -I../../g
cc-2.95.2/gcc/../include -c -DL${name} \
       ../../gcc-2.95.2/gcc/libgcc2.c -o ${name}.o; \
  if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then true; else exit 1; fi; \
  ar rc tmplibgcc2.a ${name}.o; \
  rm -f ${name}.o; \
done
_muldi3
../../gcc-2.95.2/gcc/libgcc2.c:41: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
../../gcc-2.95.2/gcc/libgcc2.c:42: unistd.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [libgcc2.a] Error 1
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
BASH.EXE-2.02$

What should I do?

Thanks.

Steven Chang
hungchen@ms1.seder.net

* RE: Making GCC 2.95.2 Problems
@ 2000-02-22 10:36 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-02-22 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boyer, Galen, 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Which version of the Cygwin1.dll do you have.  Paste the output of `cygcheck -s
-v -r' in a mail.

--- "Boyer,Galen" <gboyer@primix.com> wrote:
> I am having a problem with bash and tar and I think it is just a
> configuration issue.
>
> My mounting structure is as follows:
> Device           Directory           Type        Flags
> e:               /e                  native      text!=binary
> d:               /d                  native      text!=binary
> c:               /c                  native      text!=binary
> c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\usr\bin /bin                native      text!=binary
> c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20 /                   native      text!=binary
>
> When I cd into / and execute "tar zxvf
> e:/gnu/Downloads/gcc-2.95.2-cygb20.tar.gz ", I get the following error:
>
> tar (grandchild): Cannot execute remote shell: No such file or directory
> tar (grandchild): Cannot open archive
> e:/gnu/Downloads/gcc-2.95.2-cygb20.tar.gz: I/O error
> tar (grandchild): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
>
> gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
> tar: Child returned status 1
>
> What have I set up incorrectly in bash?

* RE: Making GCC 2.95.2 Problems
@ 2000-02-22 10:06 Boyer, Galen

@ 2000-02-22  7:48 N8TM
From: N8TM @ 2000-02-22  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gboyer, earnie_boyd, cygwin

>I did not make an objdir, but instead guessed that
> c:/cygnus/cygwin-b20/usr/local was the objdir I >needed. (Am I wrong here?)
> I then configured from the directory >c:/cygnus/cygwin-b20/usr/local.  That
> was successful.

I think you would need to create such a directory and copy the relevant include and lib directories into it before configuring.

Tim
tprince@computer.org

* RE: Making GCC 2.95.2 Problems
@ 2000-02-22  6:17 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-02-22  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boyer, Galen, 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

@ 2000-02-22  6:12 Boyer, Galen

@ 2000-02-22  5:59 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-02-22  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boyer, Galen, 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

@ 2000-02-22  5:49 Boyer, Galen

From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-02-22  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boyer, Galen, 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

--- "Boyer,Galen" <gboyer@primix.com> wrote:
-8<-
> From local, I executed "/src/gcc/gcc-2.95.2/configure" which was successful.
> Therefore, from local again, I then executed "make bootstrap" and got back
> the error:
>
> /c: Can't open /c
> make: *** [all-libiberty] Error 2
>
> Then for a hacking try, I umounted /c and ran the command again.  I got this
> error:
>
> make: *** No rule to make target
> `/c/cygnus/cygwin-b20/usr/local/src/gcc/gcc-2.95.2/gcc/version.c', needed by
> `Makefile'.  Stop.
>
> This one doesn't seem to be a viable option because after umounting /c, the
> "/src/gcc/gcc-2.95.2/configure" command brings back "bash.exe:
> src/gcc/gcc-2.95.2/configure: No such file or directory".  (I am not exactly
> sure why this is, but I'm guessing Cygnus resolves relative paths to their
> fully qualified paths?)

This is caused by the lack of an environment variable MAKE_MODE=unix.  Or you
can use the --unix switch with the Cygwin make, as in make --unix bootstrap.

It appears that you're attempting a big task without being familiar with the
tools.  Why are you building gcc-2.95.2 yourself when you can download a
prebuilt version from Mumit Khan?

=====
---

@ 2000-02-22  5:22 Boyer, Galen
From: Boyer, Galen @ 2000-02-22  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'dony', Boyer, Galen; +Cc: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

I am sorry.  The link I referenced was from Earnie Boyd that I got from this
group a while back.  I spent a decent amount of time there in trying to set
up my directory structure and mounting the drives.  I followed the links at
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/ to download gcc 2.95 and the available
instruction for setting this up for doing the configuring and making of gcc.
Earnie's page had a "good starting point" for my directory structure, but
nothing directly related to gcc.  I was pretty sure that I didn't have my
directories mounted correctly.  I wasn't trying anything fancy and the gcc
stuff wasn't working.  I was trusting that the gcc stuff would work if I
followed their instructions, so I was guessing that Cygnus was getting
confused with how I had set up my environment.

For Dony, the text file attached is Earnie's page that I was referencing.  I
also spent a good amount of time in
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net.html , which
you can follow links to from Earnie's page.  This is the Cygwin's users
guide.  Very informative as well.  Maybe I am not reading enough or putting
the correct readings together?

From: Boyer, Galen @ 2000-02-21 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'