* RE: values.h / 2
@ 2001-01-04  9:30 Robinow, David
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Robinow, David @ 2001-01-04  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> mainly, i'm missing these two identifiers:
>
> MINDOUBLE
> MAXDOUBLE
>
> i found a 'values.h' in mingw, but it contains nothing...
> also the other headers which ar ementioned there didn't contain
> these identifiers.
>
> Is it possible, to include a regular values.h in cygwin?
 I suggest you use DBL_MIN and DBL_MAX from float.h

 I'm not familiar with the various standards
 controlling this sort of thing, but I'm guessing
 that values.h can be considered obsolete

 for cygwin  float.h  defines DBL_MIN and DBL_MAX

 My Irix has both float.h and values.h and
 DBL_MIN = MINDOUBLE

 but my SunOS 5.6 has (I find this strange)
 DBL_MIN = 2/225073858072014E-308 and
 MINDOUBLE = 4.94065645841246544e-324

* Re: values.h / 2
@ 2001-01-04 12:42 ` J. J. Farrell
From: J. J. Farrell @ 2001-01-04 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Robinow, David" <drobinow@dayton.adroit.com>
>
> > mainly, i'm missing these two identifiers:
> >
> > MINDOUBLE
> > MAXDOUBLE
> >
> > i found a 'values.h' in mingw, but it contains nothing...
> > also the other headers which ar ementioned there didn't contain
> > these identifiers.
> >
> > Is it possible, to include a regular values.h in cygwin?
>
>  I suggest you use DBL_MIN and DBL_MAX from float.h
>
>  I'm not familiar with the various standards
>  controlling this sort of thing, but I'm guessing
>  that values.h can be considered obsolete
>
>  for cygwin  float.h  defines DBL_MIN and DBL_MAX
>
>  My Irix has both float.h and values.h and
>  DBL_MIN = MINDOUBLE

values.h is an old UNIX standard file for these things - it was
documented in issues 1 and 2 of the X/Open Portability Guide.
float.h was standardized in ANSI C in 1989 and had become widely
used before then. values.h was withdrawn from the standard in
issue 3 of the XPG in 1989, and never made it into POSIX at all.

In short, values.h has been obsolete for over 12 years - any code
which wants to be portable should be changed to use the float.h
identifiers instead. If anyone wanted to do it, I can't imagine
any harm in adding a values.h to the cygwin distribution which
#defines the values.h identifiers to their float.h equivalents,
but it would be better if the software which uses values.h were
changed to not do so.

* Re: values.h / 2
@ 2001-01-04 12:44   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-01-04 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 12:42:15PM -0800, J. J. Farrell wrote:
>values.h is an old UNIX standard file for these things - it was
>documented in issues 1 and 2 of the X/Open Portability Guide.
>float.h was standardized in ANSI C in 1989 and had become widely
>used before then. values.h was withdrawn from the standard in
>issue 3 of the XPG in 1989, and never made it into POSIX at all.
>
>In short, values.h has been obsolete for over 12 years - any code
>which wants to be portable should be changed to use the float.h
>identifiers instead. If anyone wanted to do it, I can't imagine
>any harm in adding a values.h to the cygwin distribution which
>#defines the values.h identifiers to their float.h equivalents,
>but it would be better if the software which uses values.h were
>changed to not do so.

FWIW, I'll accept a patch which creates values.h with this criteria.

cgf

* RE: values.h / 2
@ 2001-01-04 13:30 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-01-04 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--
=^..^=
Gerrit Peter Haase

* Re: values.h / 2
@ 2001-01-04 22:43 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2001-01-04 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robinow, David, cygwin

> > Is it possible, to include a regular values.h in cygwin?
>  I suggest you use DBL_MIN and DBL_MAX from float.h
>
>  I'm not familiar with the various standards
>  controlling this sort of thing, but I'm guessing
>  that values.h can be considered obsolete

As others have said, obsolete since the advent of C89.

>  for cygwin  float.h  defines DBL_MIN and DBL_MAX
>
>  My Irix has both float.h and values.h and
>  DBL_MIN = MINDOUBLE
>
>  but my SunOS 5.6 has (I find this strange)
>  DBL_MIN = 2/225073858072014E-308 and
>  MINDOUBLE = 4.94065645841246544e-324

Several versions of Irix omitted support for gradual underflow; thus there
would be no non-zero number less than DBL_MIN.  SunOS presumably defaults to
supporting gradual underflow; thus the smallest non-zero would be DBL_MIN *
DBL_EPSILON.  In either case, DBL_MIN would be the smallest number
represented without loss of precision.  I'm not too thrilled at the
possibilities opened for revisiting these behaviors by setting precision
mode and abrupt underflow on IA32 processors.

* Re: values.h / 2
@ 2001-01-04 23:19   ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-01-04 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Tim Prince, Robinow, David, J. J. Farrell

--
=^..^=

@ 2001-01-04 23:35     ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-01-04 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Prince, Robinow, David, J. J. Farrell; +Cc: cygwin

--
=^..^=

@ 2001-01-05  6:44       ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2001-01-05  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gerrit.haase, Robinow, David, J. J. Farrell; +Cc: cygwin

From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-01-04  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

gph
--
gerrit.haase@convey.de
PGP Version: 6.5.8 Public Key Information