* RE: setup.exe splash screen - mini-competition
@ 2002-01-02 14:48 Robinow, David
From: Robinow, David @ 2002-01-02 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

 How about
http://vcl.ctrl-c.liu.se/vcl/Artists/Sandra-Gaeremynck/otter.gif ?

 Don't know about copyright though.

-----Original Message-----
From: Corinna Vinschen [mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2002 5:35 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: setup.exe splash screen - mini-competition

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 12:41:01PM -0500, Chris Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 07:41:11PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> Actually, it's probably not feasible but my dream icon would involve
> an otter.  Linus Torvalds likes penguins.  I like otters.

What about http://www.tigress.com/lutra/otters/otter12.gif?

We could rescale it slightly, perhaps...

Corinna

* Re: setup.exe splash screen - mini-competition
@ 2002-01-03 13:04     ` Ryan T. Sammartino
From: Ryan T. Sammartino @ 2002-01-03 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 01:23:17PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> Since Cygnus is no longer a viable entity, it doesn't make sense to
> publicize it.

Good point, but it might be nice from a "historical" perspective.

Also, I just plain like swans better than otters, but
"de gustibus non est disputandum", as the Romans used to say. :)

--
Ryan T. Sammartino
http://members.shaw.ca/ryants/

* Re: setup.exe splash screen - mini-competition
@ 2002-01-03 10:23   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-01-03 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Ryan T. Sammartino

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 08:28:30AM -0800, Ryan T. Sammartino wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 07:41:11PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
>> The key design criterion are:
>> 2) Must be related to, in an easily interpretable fashion, the Cygwin
>> net release project.
>>
>> Something interesting and humorous is probably best.
>>

>I would vote myself for some kind of Swan (Cygwin, from Cygnus +
>Windows, Cygnus = Swan (Latin)).  May be too obvious and not as subtle
>as an otter (?).
>
>Another (potentially less humourous) idea would be for someone to
>photograph (or obtain a photograph) or some other depiction of the
>Cygnus constellation or the Cygnus X-1 black hole.
>
>Just my Cdn$0.02.

Since Cygnus is no longer a viable entity, it doesn't make sense to
publicize it.

In fact the cygnus.com domain is going away real soon now.

cgf

* Re: setup.exe splash screen - mini-competition
@ 2002-01-03  8:28 ` Ryan T. Sammartino
From: Ryan T. Sammartino @ 2002-01-03  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 07:41:11PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> The key design criterion are:
> 2) Must be related to, in an easily interpretable fashion, the Cygwin
> net release project.
>
> Something interesting and humorous is probably best.

I would vote myself for some kind of Swan (Cygwin, from Cygnus +
Windows, Cygnus = Swan (Latin)).  May be too obvious and not as subtle
as an otter (?).

Another (potentially less humourous) idea would be for someone to
photograph (or obtain a photograph) or some other depiction of the
Cygnus constellation or the Cygnus X-1 black hole.

Just my Cdn$0.02.

--
Ryan T. Sammartino
http://members.shaw.ca/ryants/
QOTD:
	"Oh, no, no...  I'm not beautiful.  Just very, very pretty."

* Re: setup.exe splash screen - mini-competition
@ 2002-01-02 22:37               ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-01-02 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-01-02 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 05:04:28PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> [...]

Yes.  I purposely kept the licensing of setup.exe sources separate from
the rest of Cygwin.  Red Hat doesn't make any claim to own any of the
sources (in fact some people quite vehemently don't want to have
anything to do with them internally) but from a practical standpoint
they still "belong" to the cygwin project.

So, yes, the setup.exe sources are strictly GPLed and will always stay
that way.  The barn door has been open too long for anything else.

(And, we're going by the honor system assuming that all of the source
code in setup is unemcumbered by anything *but* the GPL.)

However, artwork is, IMO, a little bit different.  Unless someone is
willing to sign a release, I don't think it should be used in the
installer.  We can't just use random artwork without being sure that we
know where it came from.  It's too easy to pick up a jpeg file from the
net and "just use it".

The same thing is somewhat true of source code, of course, but I think
it is much less likely that someone would grab setup source code from
somewhere and pass it off as their own.  And, even if that did happen,
the code won't be flashed on the screen every time you run setup.exe.
That's too much of a red flag for my liking.

So, I don't really care if Red Hat owns the artwork.  I just want to
make sure that whomever donates the artwork is willing to legally
represent it as their own.  Using the existing Cygwin assignment form
(maybe with appropriate modifications) seemed like the easiest way to do
this.

@ 2002-01-02 22:04           ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-01-02 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> I think something new would be best, actually.  I hate to say it, but
> we'd probably even be safest if the artist assigned the rights for the
> drawing to Red Hat.

Thats up to you, of course. For setup itself I'm happy with GPL
licencing to the 'source' (whatever that may be :])

Rob

* Re: setup.exe splash screen - mini-competition
@ 2002-01-02 21:23         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-01-02 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 03:57:56PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:

>===

I'll bug my son about this, again.

cgf

* Re: setup.exe splash screen - mini-competition
@ 2002-01-02 20:58       ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-01-02 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

===

@ 2002-01-02 16:13     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-01-02 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-01-02 14:35   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-01-02 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 12:41:01PM -0500, Chris Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 07:41:11PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> Actually, it's probably not feasible but my dream icon would involve
> an otter.  Linus Torvalds likes penguins.  I like otters.

What about http://www.tigress.com/lutra/otters/otter12.gif?

We could rescale it slightly, perhaps...

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: setup.exe splash screen - mini-competition
@ 2002-01-02  9:41 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-01-02  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 07:41:11PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
>Firstly, the only prize is seeing your work used.
>
>We need an adaptation, or new creation, for the Cygwin Net Release
>setup.exe. Gary has been following MS user interface guidelines in his
>reworking of the windowing code, and we now have a wonderful white
>rectangle on the splash screen.
>
>I'm looking for a graphic, 96 px wide, 179 px high (or thereabouts) to
>replace that rectangle. (I've uploaded a snapshot with Gary's code,
>which hasn't (quite) hit CVS yet) to
>http://www.cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/setup-2002-01-02-1.exe
>
>The key design criterion are:
>1) Must be acceptable to cgf :].

Actually, it's probably not feasible but my dream icon would involve
an otter.  Linus Torvalds likes penguins.  I like otters.

(Not that I am in any way ranking myself with Linus Torvalds)

My son drew a picture of an otter holding a floppy once that I had
intended to use on the cygwin web page but I lost the picture.  :-(

I don't know if you can get a recognizable otter in 96x179 but if
you can, I'd love to see it.

Whimsically,
cgf

* RE: setup.exe splash screen - mini-competition
@ 2002-01-02  2:40 ` Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2002-01-02  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[snip]

> I'm looking for a graphic, 96 px wide, 179 px high (or thereabouts) to
> replace that rectangle.

It actually has to be 152 pixels wide by 290 pixels high, according to
occaisionally-reliable MS sources.  The 96x179 is the size of the area in
"dialog units", which are supposed to map variably to screen coords depending on
your monitor resolution.  MS is silent on how the fixed-size bitmap is supposed
to do this as well, but we can always StretchBitBlt() it if need be.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.

* setup.exe splash screen - mini-competition
@ 2002-01-02  0:41 Robert Collins
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-01-02  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Firstly, the only prize is seeing your work used.

We need an adaptation, or new creation, for the Cygwin Net Release
setup.exe. Gary has been following MS user interface guidelines in his
reworking of the windowing code, and we now have a wonderful white
rectangle on the splash screen.

I'm looking for a graphic, 96 px wide, 179 px high (or thereabouts) to
replace that rectangle. (I've uploaded a snapshot with Gary's code,
which hasn't (quite) hit CVS yet) to
http://www.cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/setup-2002-01-02-1.exe

The key design criterion are:
1) Must be acceptable to cgf :].
2) Must be related to, in an easily interpretable fashion, the Cygwin
net release project.
3) Look 'good' on the splash screen (256 Colour mode included :]).
4) Compress into the .exe really really well. (setup.exe needs to stay
compact).
5) Compile correctly with the current net release windres.
6) It must be licenced for use under the GPL as all setup.exe code is.

Something interesting and humorous is probably best.

If nothing comes up before we release the next setup version (hopefully
soon), then the rectangle will be hidden, but can be reinstated in the
future.

I think it would be great to have something eye catching - this is the
first bit of the cygwin project folk see on their own computer.

Rob

P.S. I haven't run this past Chris yet, so Chris - feel free to jump in
and alter this proposal :].