* RE: gzip.exe as symlink...
@ 2002-07-15 15:46 Robinow, David
From: Robinow, David @ 2002-07-15 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> From: Nicholas Wourms [mailto:nwourms@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Re: gzip.exe as symlink...
> --- Jon Cast <jcast@ou.edu> wrote:
> > Robert Collins <robert.collins@syncretize.net> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > I'd never thought about it - why would anyone care which is the real
> > > file?
> >
> > If they have to use any program not linked with cygwin1.dll.
> You should be using vi & bash, then you wouldn't have all
> these "issues".
 bash has nothing to do with this issue.  Use of "vi" will have the same
issue as "emacs". i.e., unless you use a cygwin version it will not
recognize cygwin links.  Some people like to use NTEmacs because it has some
features not available in cygwin XEmacs.  I don't know if there's an NTvi
with features not present in cygwin vi -- I've never used vi.  In fact I've
never met anybody who's used vi more than casually, although I hear it's
popular in some circles.
 In any case there's no need to learn an obscure editor just to read
compressed files.   (setq jka-compr-use-shell t)  will force the compression
code to use a shell (defaults to "sh") instead of "call-process". Use of a
cygwin shell is of course required.
 One could also dispense with the use of links altogether. gzip.exe is only
60K.

[parent not found: <rrschulz@cris.com>]
* files and directories distinction:
@ 2002-07-16 18:50 Aldi Kraja
From: Aldi Kraja @ 2002-07-16 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin mailL

Hi,
How I can set the env to see directories with some / at the end of it.
Right now everything files and directories look the same (under cygwin)
when I apply a dir or an ls -l.

TIA,
Aldi

* RE: gzip.exe as symlink...
@ 2002-07-15 16:33 Robinow, David
From: Robinow, David @ 2002-07-15 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> From: Robert Collins [mailto:robert.collins@syncretize.net]
> Subject: RE: gzip.exe as symlink...
> > From: Jon Cast
> > Subject: Re: gzip.exe as symlink...
> > Robert Collins <robert.collins@syncretize.net> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > I'd never thought about it - why would anyone care which
> > > is the real file?
> > If they have to use any program not linked with cygwin1.dll.
> Then they presumably have the luxry of telling it what .exe to run.
> Rob
 except that there isn't one.
  if gzip.exe is a (unusable outside cygwin) link to gunzip.exe, then
"gunzip" will read in a compressed file, but there is no switch to gunzip
which will allow recompressing the file on output.
  if gunzip.exe is a (unusable outside cygwin) link to gzip.exe,
then "gzip -d" will read in a compressed file, and "gzip" will allow
recompressing the file on output.
  The second case has been the state of affairs in the past and it's why
NTemacs has worked.  The first case is what cygwin gzip currently provides,
thus a minor difficulty.  As I mentioned in a previous post, the problem can
be easily remedied with some elisp or by simply copying gunzip.exe to
gzip.exe. Nevertheless I think it would be advisable to restore the gzip
distribution to what it was in the past, with gzip.exe being the executable
and gunzip.exe being the link.

* RE: gzip.exe as symlink...
@ 2002-07-15 16:13 Robinow, David
From: Robinow, David @ 2002-07-15 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> From: Nicholas Wourms [mailto:nwourms@yahoo.com]
> Subject: RE: gzip.exe as symlink...
> Sigh, as usual the emacs camp always misses the point.  You
> use a shell
> for file operations and you use an editor for editing.  Why
> is there any
> need to muddle the two?  Vi is simple and elegant, whereas emacs is
> well...  rather bloated and not very elegant.  Would you use
> a chainsaw to
> cut a diamond?  I think not...
  I may very well be missing the point. But I'm starting to believe that
"vi" is incapable of opening compressed files and that you think this is an
advantage.  I think I'll continue to miss that point.
  Well, emacs can open compressed files and some people like that feature.
In any case, the use of that feature is what this whole thread is about.

* gzip.exe as symlink breaks NTEmacs's jka-compr.el
@ 2002-07-15  2:20 Matt Swift
From: Matt Swift @ 2002-07-15  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Cygwin package gzip 1.3.3 made the change (from 1.3.2) that /bin/gzip
is a symlink to /bin/gunzip instead of the other way around.  This
change breaks NTEmacs 20.7 and 21.1 on Win2k.  To reproduce, try
evaluating

    (call-process "gzip" nil '(t t) nil "--version")

and Emacs will either freeze until you issue multiple C-g's or Win2k
will popup an "illegal instruction" error dialog.

The common and useful package jka-compr.el (when loaded) by default
invokes `call-process' on "gzip" to uncompress as well as compress
files, rather than "gunzip".

You get similar errors if you invoke `call-process' on any of the
symlinks in /cygwin/bin (e.g., awk.exe -> gawk.exe).

Initial workaround:

        cp /bin/gunzip.exe /usr/local/bin/gzip.exe

(assuming /usr/local/bin is in the PATH (NTEmacs's `exec-path' before
/bin).  Could also change a jka-compr variable to use "gunzip" instead
of "gzip", but that seems less robust (other Emacs-Lisp code probably
calls "gzip" too).

I wasted more than an hour tracking down this bug (not a bug in Cygwin
per se, really, but a change that caused a bug with software very
commonly used with Cygwin).  I didn't look hard, but I found no
comment in the gzip 1.3.3 sources indicating why the change was made
in the symlinks.  Please don't change things that are not broken!