* Re: Who "fixed" md5sum??
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 03:53:53PM -0700, Mark Paulus wrote:
>I have a question about md5sum.  It seems like in one of the not
>too distant releases of textutils, the md5sum program altered it's
>behaviour.  Before the change, it would act like the debian/linux
>variety, in that if you would do an
>md5sum < <somefile>
>you would get a result, and that would be all, e.g.:
>
>This is the result from my debian box.....
>
>mgpaulus@testbox1:/smbapps/cygwin.pkg$ md5sum < setup.exe
>d91a97dcd67b7cb9c6aaa408cf431b01
>
>Here's the same result, except from my cygwin environment:
>$ md5sum < setup.exe
>d91a97dcd67b7cb9c6aaa408cf431b01 *-
>
>My problem is the little '*-' at the end...  I have several unix ported scripts
>that run md5sum, and expect only the significant md5sum digits, and the
>trailing stuff is causing all the scripts to break.  Would it be possible
>to get either
>1) a rational for adding the trailing stuff, and making it act
>differently than it's un*x cousin;
>
>and/or
>
>2) an ability to turn that "feature" off,
>if everyone else absolutely requires it??

md5sum on my linux box returns a '-' in the second column if the md5sum
is being performed on standard input.  I assume that you are using an
older version on your linux system if yours doesn't do that.

Inspecting the source, I see that the '*' means that the file is binary.

As to why these changes were introduced, you'd have to ask the authors
of textutils.

cgf

* Re: Who "fixed" md5sum??
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 ` Richard Hitt
From: Richard Hitt @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Paulus; +Cc: cygwin

Hi.

On my incredibly old version of cygnus, md5sum outputs two tokens.  So I
guess you have to blame debian:  perhaps they've gone standard.

BASH.EXE-2.01$ type md5sum
md5sum is hashed (/cygnus/b19/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/md5sum)
BASH.EXE-2.01$ ls -l /cygnus/b19/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/md5sum
-rwxr-xr-x   1 rbh00    everyone    27648 Feb 26  1998
/cygnus/b19/H-i386-cygwin
32/bin/md5sum
BASH.EXE-2.01$ cat ACDS* | md5sum
9dd1a462e2a0dc110c19559ae5f85832  -
BASH.EXE-2.01$ md5sum < ACDS*
9dd1a462e2a0dc110c19559ae5f85832  -
BASH.EXE-2.01$

Richard

On Sat, 17 Nov 2001 15:53:53 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a question about md5sum.  It seems like in one of the not
>too distant releases of textutils, the md5sum program altered it's
>behaviour.  Before the change, it would act like the debian/linux
>variety, in that if you would do an
>md5sum < <somefile>
>you would get a result, and that would be all, e.g.:
>
>This is the result from my debian box.....
>
>mgpaulus@testbox1:/smbapps/cygwin.pkg$ md5sum < setup.exe
>d91a97dcd67b7cb9c6aaa408cf431b01
>
>Here's the same result, except from my cygwin environment:
>$ md5sum < setup.exe
>d91a97dcd67b7cb9c6aaa408cf431b01 *-
>
>My problem is the little '*-' at the end...  I have several unix ported scripts
>that run md5sum, and expect only the significant md5sum digits, and the
>trailing stuff is causing all the scripts to break.  Would it be possible
>to get either
>1) a rational for adding the trailing stuff, and making it act
>differently than it's un*x cousin;
>
>and/or
>
>2) an ability to turn that "feature" off,
>if everyone else absolutely requires it??
>
>Thanks....

* Who "fixed" md5sum??
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 Mark Paulus