From: Houder <houder@xs4all.nl>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: snapshots (archive files) are too big ... Why?
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 10:28:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 2016-01-23 21:18, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Houder writes:
>> Did the same test on FC19. Same result.
>
> The patch most likely responsible is only applied to FC21/22/23 best I
> can tell.

As I realized, that Corinna is using "the latest and the greatest" of
the
Fedora distribution, I go myself

      tar-1.27.1-8.fc21.i686.rpm

and extracted the tar program from it.

Again using FC19, but now the tar program that I extracted:

@@ pwd
/home/henri/x
@@ ls -l
total 7172
-rwxr-xr-x 1 henri henri 6952352 Jan 23 20:28
cygwin-inst-20160121.tar.xz
drwxr-xr-x 3 henri henri    4096 Jan 21 18:42 etc
-rwxr-xr-x 1 henri henri  377916 Jan 23 22:38 tar
drwxr-xr-x 7 henri henri    4096 Jan 21 18:42 usr
@@ ./tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.27.1
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.

Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.
@@ find etc usr | ./tar -T - --no-recursion -cJf foo.tar.xz
@@ find etc usr | ./tar --no-recursion -T - -cJf foo2.tar.xz
@@ ./tar tvJf foo.tar.xz > foo1
@@ ./tar tvJf foo2.tar.xz > foo2
@@ wc -l foo1 foo2
   1429 foo1 <==== Oh, ah!
    381 foo2
   1810 total
@@

As noted by Achim, this modification of tar took place in July 2015.

That tells it all, does it not, Corinna?

Thanks, Achim.

Regards,
Henri