* RE: "start" for Cygwin
@ 2002-03-03  3:53 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-03-03  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Starks-Browning, cygwin

I think cygstart or something like that will eliminate the potiential
for touble.

Rob

* RE: "start" for Cygwin
@ 2002-03-04  7:17 Roth, Kevin P.
From: Roth, Kevin P. @ 2002-03-04  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I prefer start over cygstart. Here's my $0.02, FWIW:

 o Newbies are more likely to find "start" than "cygstart". And
   they'll be impressed that "start appname" JustWorks(tm).

 o Oldies (like me, who can't always remember things very well)
   wouldn't have to learn a new command name.

 o "most" people probably have cygwin/bin at the beginning of
   their path when using BASH, but towards the end of their path
   (at least after their windows directories) when running under
   COMMAND.COM or CMD.EXE. If they don't, it's my personal
   opinion that they should. Under this scenario, win9x's
   command.com will find windows' start.exe, while bash will
   find cygutils' start.exe; keeping both very happy.

 o for those (few most likely?) who are running win9x/me, and
   have cygwin/bin at the beginning of windows' PATH, *and* have
   loaded the non-default package cygutils, will eventually
   figure out why start may no longer work...

 o If cygutils' start.exe can be made to work just like
   windows' start.exe (when called from a windows command.com
   shell), then we theoretically eliminate all problems, right?

Thanks,
--Kevin

From: Michael Schaap [mailto:cygwin@mscha.org]
It would.

I have mixed feelings about this, though.

* RE: "start" for Cygwin
@ 2002-03-02 22:22 Stephan Mueller

From: Robert Collins @ 2002-03-02 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson, Michael Schaap; +Cc: cygwin

Start is a cmd builtin - there is no start.exe

Rob

* "start" for Cygwin
@ 2002-03-02 14:12 Michael Schaap
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael Schaap @ 2002-03-02 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I've written a little "start" utility, which is similar to "cmd /c start",
only better.
It allows you to let Windows start a program or open a file or URL.

For instance:
  - it understands POSIX paths (e.g. "start /tmp/hello.txt")
  - it can open files which don't have the "executable" flag set (ntsec)
  - it can start things minimized, hidden, etc. (e.g. start --minimize
    hello.txt")
  - it can run non-default actions (e.g. "start --print hello.txt",
    "start --explore .", "start --action=whatever myfile.ext")
  - it's a lot faster than "cmd /c start"

I believe it should run on all Windows versions from Win95 up, but I've
only tested it on Windows 2000.  (Anyone using Win9x/ME, can you please let
me know if it works?)
(It's been a while since I did any serious C programming, so the code might
be sloppy in some places.  Improvements and bug reports are welcome.)

You can download it at: http://www.mscha.com/start_0_9.zip .

(Chuck, if you think this would be a good addition for cygutils, feel free
to include it!  After all, I did "borrow" some of the code framework from
it.  :-) )

I'll include the output of "start --help" below.

Best regards,

  - Michael

--------------------------------8<-------------------------------

start version 0.9, by Michael Schaap

Let Windows start a program or open a file or URL.

Usage: start [OPTION]... FILE [ARGUMENTS]

Action options
   -a, --action=STRING        Use specified action instead of default
   -o, --open                 Short for: --action open
   -x, --explore              Short for: --action explore
   -e, --edit                 Short for: --action edit
   -f, --find                 Short for: --action find
   -p, --print                Short for: --action print

Directory options
   -d, --directory=STRING     Set working directory

Show options
   --hide                     Hides the window and activates another window
   --maximize                 Maximizes the specified window
   --minimize                 Minimizes the specified window and activates the
                              next top-level window in the z-order
   --restore                  Activates and displays the window. If the window
                              is minimized or maximized, Windows restores it to
                              its original size and position. An application
                              should specify this flag when restoring a
                              minimized window
   --show                     Activates the window and displays it in its
                              current size and position
   --showmaximized            Activates the window and displays it as a
                              maximized window
   --showminimized            Activates the window and displays it as a
                              minimized window
   --showminnoactive          Displays the window as a minimized window. The
                              active window remains active
   --showna                   Displays the window in its current state. The
                              active window remains active
   --shownoactivate           Displays a window in its most recent size and
                              position. The active window remains active
   --shownormal               Activates and displays a window. If the window is
                              minimized or maximized, Windows restores it to
                              its original size and position. An application
                              should specify this flag when displaying the
                              window for the first time

Help options
   -?, --help                 Show this help message
   --usage                    Display brief usage message
   --version                  Display version information
   --license                  Display licensing information
   --reference                Open MSDN reference for ShellExecute

With thanks to MSDN:
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/Shell/reference/functions/shellexecute.asp>

Please report any bugs to <cygwin_start@mscha.org>.

--
     I always wondered about the meaning of life.   So I looked it
     up in the dictionary under "L" and there it was - the meaning