* changes in recent snapshots -- need testing before release
@ 2000-10-09 15:44 Chris Faylor
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-10-09 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

These will all be in 1.1.5.  I've probably missed a few.

Please give a snapshot a try and report problems to cygwin@sources.redhat.com .

cgf

Changes:

- Major speedup in tty I/O.

- /dev/mem

- The use of Windows pids, where possible, rather than cygwin-invented pids.
  (Unfortunately there is still a "cygwin pid" which is usually based on the
  windows pid of the last forked process.)

- An additional option to "ps", '-W' which lists all Windows pids as well as Cygwin
  pids.  Ps also lists complete information, including cygwin and windows pids, by
  default.

- An additional option to "kill", '-f' which will force the termination of any
  Windows or Cygwin process.

- True UNIX style argument list passing to cygwin subprocesses.  No more strange
  quoting of the command line to preserver white space, etc.

- True UNIX passing of environment variables to cygwin subprocesses.  No more
  conversion back and forth between Windows and UNIX formats.

- Improved (?) parameter passing, quoting, and parsing for non-cygwin processes.

- Fix for the unknown "__cygwin_dll_entry@12" problem.

- Fix for the "CTRL-S stops rxvt" forever problem.

- Fix for "CTRL-C doesn't seem to do anything at the bash prompt" problem.

- Fixes for current-working-directory problems.

- Fixes for a couple of problems found by Egor Duda's new cygwin testsuite.

- Fixes for time conversion factor

- Fixes for overflow problems in select(), especially with non-standard
  fd_set sizes.

- Force pipes to be in binmode by default, like they were prior to 1.1.3.

- Automatic extension of the fd table when required by dup2.

- Allow any decriptor and any number of descriptors in poll().

- Fix for buffer overruns in syslog().

- Fix for readdir to only set errno when appropriate (should quite CVS?).

- Fix for tcsendbreak to use correct time units.

- Fix for cygpath -u e:foo

- Allow newaction == oldaction in sigaction.

- Directories or files mounted with the '-x' bit will show up as executable
  in a directory listing.

- Proper return value for sleep() function when interrupted by a signal.

- Fix output of text with \r\n endings when fd is opened in text mode.

* Spaces in home directory
@ 2000-10-09 16:14 ` Neil Zanella
From: Neil Zanella @ 2000-10-09 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I have a question related to spaces in paths. As has already been pointed
out it is best to use a user name containing no spaces when using cygwin.
Howver please not that at least in Win2K all users are created under
C:\Documents and Settings (for example user User's home directory would
be C:\Documents and Settings\User). Will the two spaces in the path cause
trouble and if so is there a way around this?

Thanks,

Neil

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Chris Faylor wrote:

> These will all be in 1.1.5.  I've probably missed a few.
>
> - True UNIX style argument list passing to cygwin subprocesses.  No more strange
>   quoting of the command line to preserver white space, etc.
>
> - True UNIX passing of environment variables to cygwin subprocesses.  No more
>   conversion back and forth between Windows and UNIX formats.
>
> - Improved (?) parameter passing, quoting, and parsing for non-cygwin processes.

* Re: Spaces in home directory
@ 2000-10-09 16:33   ` Erdely, Michael
       [not found]     ` <150341240798.20001010072046@calendarcentral.com>
From: Erdely, Michael @ 2000-10-09 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

You could mount C:\Documents and Settings to /home

mount c:/documents\ and\ settings/ /home

-ME

> I have a question related to spaces in paths. As has already been pointed
> out it is best to use a user name containing no spaces when using cygwin.
> Howver please not that at least in Win2K all users are created under
> C:\Documents and Settings (for example user User's home directory would
> be C:\Documents and Settings\User). Will the two spaces in the path cause
> trouble and if so is there a way around this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil
>

> On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Chris Faylor wrote:
>
> > These will all be in 1.1.5.  I've probably missed a few.
> >
> > - True UNIX style argument list passing to cygwin subprocesses.  No more
strange
> >   quoting of the command line to preserver white space, etc.
> >
> > - True UNIX passing of environment variables to cygwin subprocesses.  No
more
> >   conversion back and forth between Windows and UNIX formats.
> >
> > - Improved (?) parameter passing, quoting, and parsing for non-cygwin
processes.

> --

* Re: Re[2]: Spaces in home directory
       [not found]     ` <150341240798.20001010072046@calendarcentral.com>
@ 2000-10-10  7:28       ` Erdely, Michael
From: Erdely, Michael @ 2000-10-10  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andy.philpotts; +Cc: cygwin

Andy,
  I understand what you're saying and that will work fine for "Program
Files" if you haven't done a double install of NT or for some other reason,
NT doesn't use progra~2.
  Since both NT and *nix support long file names with spaces and *nix
(Cygwin) supports "escaping" spaces, referring to "Program Files" as
Program\ Files works like a charm.  And you never have to worry if you're
referring to "Windows NT" (WINDOW~1), "Windows Media Player" (WINDOW~2) or
"WindowsUpdate" (WINDOW~3).
  I just performed the following steps in my Cygwin BASH shell:
[merdely@neptune]~:$ cd /
[merdely@neptune]/:$ mkdir home2k
[merdely@neptune]/:$ mount -s c:/documents\ and\ settings/ /home2k
[merdely@neptune]/:$ cd /home2k
[merdely@neptune]/home2k:$ ls
All Users/     Default User/  MErdely/
[merdely@neptune]/home2k:$

Good luck,
-ME

From: David Starks-Browning @ 2000-10-10 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Monday 9 Oct 00, Chris Faylor writes:
> These will all be in 1.1.5.  I've probably missed a few.
>
> Please give a snapshot a try and report problems to cygwin@sources.redhat.com .

I understand that snapshots are not supported and are generally not
encouraged for anyone but Cygwin developers, but at times like this
(before a new release) it's good to get as many snapshot users as
possible.  With that in mind, what's the recommended technique for
installing a cygwin-inst-YYYYMMDD.tar.bz2 snapshot?

It's simple to drop in a snapshot of just cygwin1.dll, without any
Cygwin applications running.  But how do you do that with
cygwin-inst-YYYYMMDD.tar.bz2?  Can Cygwin tar replace cygwin1.dll
without conflict?  We know WinZip doesn't work!

(Of course I could cross my fingers and try it, but I'm looking for a
more general answer to put in the FAQ.  Just because it works for me,
doesn't mean I can conclude that it will work in general.)

Or is there a technique to have setup.exe do this for you?  If not,
could/should it be extended to do so?

Thanks,
David

* Re: changes in recent snapshots -- need testing before release
@ 2000-10-10 17:07   ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-10-10 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: starksb; +Cc: cygwin

> Or is there a technique to have setup.exe do this for you?  If not,
> could/should it be extended to do so?

If you bunzip2 it, gzip it, rename it to cygwin-YYYYMMZZ.tar.gz, put
it in an empty directory, and run setup there, setup should give you
the option of installing it.  Let us know if that works ;-)

* changes in recent snapshots -- need testing before release
@ 2000-10-10 17:08 ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2000-10-10 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Monday 9 Oct 00, Chris Faylor writes:
> These will all be in 1.1.5.  I've probably missed a few.
>
> Please give a snapshot a try and report problems to cygwin@sources.redhat.com .

Are you also interested in packaging problems?  I notice that
cygwin-inst-20001008.tar.bz2 has no info directory, and no symlink
include/mingw -> mingw32.  (I don't know if these are intentional,
oversights, or would be dealt with automatically when
cygwin-1.1.5.tar.gz is released.)

Cheers,

@ 2000-10-10 17:10   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-10-10 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 01:03:01AM +0100, David Starks-Browning wrote:
>On Monday 9 Oct 00, Chris Faylor writes:
>> These will all be in 1.1.5.  I've probably missed a few.
>>
>> Please give a snapshot a try and report problems to cygwin@sources.redhat.com .
>
>I understand that snapshots are not supported and are generally not
>encouraged for anyone but Cygwin developers, but at times like this
>(before a new release) it's good to get as many snapshot users as
>possible.  With that in mind, what's the recommended technique for
>installing a cygwin-inst-YYYYMMDD.tar.bz2 snapshot?
>
>It's simple to drop in a snapshot of just cygwin1.dll, without any
>Cygwin applications running.  But how do you do that with
>cygwin-inst-YYYYMMDD.tar.bz2?  Can Cygwin tar replace cygwin1.dll
>without conflict?  We know WinZip doesn't work!

The only way that I know of to do this is to extract in one place and
copy everything to a new location using Windows commands.

DJ has suggested that I could make a cygwin-1.1.5 available as an
experimental download so that setup.exe could download it.  I will
probably do that once I'm sure that things are slightly more stable.

I'm still completely unable to duplicate the 100% CPU problem or the
bash exiting problem, so this will be slow going.

cgf

* Re: changes in recent snapshots -- need testing before release
@ 2000-10-10 17:11   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-10-10 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 01:08:33AM +0100, David Starks-Browning wrote:
>On Monday 9 Oct 00, Chris Faylor writes:
>> These will all be in 1.1.5.  I've probably missed a few.
>>
>> Please give a snapshot a try and report problems to cygwin@sources.redhat.com .
>
>Are you also interested in packaging problems?  I notice that
>cygwin-inst-20001008.tar.bz2 has no info directory, and no symlink
>include/mingw -> mingw32.  (I don't know if these are intentional,
>oversights, or would be dealt with automatically when
>cygwin-1.1.5.tar.gz is released.)

It's the latter.  None of the snapshots have this.  When I make a real
release they'll be there.

cgf

* Re: changes in recent snapshots -- need testing before release
@ 2000-10-10 17:34     ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2000-10-10 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tuesday 10 Oct 00, DJ Delorie writes:

> > Or is there a technique to have setup.exe do this for you?  If not,
> > could/should it be extended to do so?
>
> If you bunzip2 it, gzip it, rename it to cygwin-YYYYMMZZ.tar.gz, put
> it in an empty directory, and run setup there, setup should give you
> the option of installing it.  Let us know if that works ;-)

Yes, that works a peach, thanks!

(So Chris, no need for a separate 'experimental' cygwin-1.1.5 release,
IMO.)

@ 2000-12-13  8:47     ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2000-12-13  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Apologies for replying to a 3-month-old thread:

On Tuesday 10 Oct 00, DJ Delorie writes:

> > Or is there a technique to have setup.exe do this for you?  If not,
> > could/should it be extended to do so?
>
> If you bunzip2 it, gzip it, rename it to cygwin-YYYYMMZZ.tar.gz, put
> it in an empty directory, and run setup there, setup should give you
> the option of installing it.  Let us know if that works ;-)

I've added an entry in the FAQ about using setup.exe to install
cygwin-inst snapshot tarballs.  Should be quite handy for those who
need to try them.

Regards,

@ 2000-10-11  5:54 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-10-11  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Starks-Browning, cygwin

--- David Starks-Browning <starksb@ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Monday 9 Oct 00, Chris Faylor writes:
> > These will all be in 1.1.5.  I've probably missed a few.
> >
> > Please give a snapshot a try and report problems to
> cygwin@sources.redhat.com .
>
> I understand that snapshots are not supported and are generally not
> encouraged for anyone but Cygwin developers, but at times like this
> (before a new release) it's good to get as many snapshot users as
> possible.  With that in mind, what's the recommended technique for
> installing a cygwin-inst-YYYYMMDD.tar.bz2 snapshot?

I explain a process to do this on my webpage at
http://gw32.freeyellow.com/UpdatingCygwin.html .  I'll consider adding the
rename and setup possibility.

Cheers,

=====