* CreateProcessA failed, errno 11
@ 2008-05-01 20:17 Thomas Plank
From: Thomas Plank @ 2008-05-01 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello everybody,

Since a little time, I'm facing strange problems with cygwin, when
compiling software. After a certain time, I'm getting fork() error
messages and that "ressources are not available".

I must send ahead, that I know the thread starting with

I have NO kind of the mentioned "BLODA" software installed on my system
and my cygwin installation worked now for nearly 4 years.
(Windows XP SP2, all security updates)

So either there is a bug in the latest cygwin releases and/or in the gcc
(I was able to compile 4.3.0 without any problem, so the problem occurred
first after 4.3.0 was released) and/or a Windows update.

I installed no new software (especially not of the "system-near" kind).

Interesting to see is when I open the taskmanager of XP and look at the
page file usage, it's nice to see how it grows and grows ...
So a memory leak must occurr somewhere. After some time exactly after the
fork() erros, my system tells me that it's out of memory and cannot start
any program or service.

Only a restart helps. When not using cygwin, no problem occurrs and also
nothing is wrong with memory.

I'd say a bug in cygwin, but perhaps also not.?

--
mfg Thomas

* Re: CreateProcessA failed, errno 11
@ 2008-05-01 20:32 ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2008-05-01 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/1/2008 1:17 PM, Thomas Plank wrote:
> Since a little time, I'm facing strange problems with cygwin, when
> compiling software. After a certain time, I'm getting fork() error
> messages and that "ressources are not available".
>
> I have NO kind of the mentioned "BLODA" software installed on my system
> and my cygwin installation worked now for nearly 4 years.
> (Windows XP SP2, all security updates)

I had the same issue and just tracked it down to the ATI Catalyst 8.3
and 8.4 drivers. I had no problem with the 7.10 version, but with both
8.3 and 8.4, my PIDs were never reused and doing a large compile (in my
case, subversion) would cause the error you mentioned.

I uninstalled the drivers and installed the drivers from Windows Update
(version 8.421.0.0). I'm not sure if it's the Catalyst Control Center or
some other part of the 8.4 full driver package, but this solved my problem.

Perhaps another BLODA? :-(

QOTD:
         Sacred cows make great hamburgers.

* Re: CreateProcessA failed, errno 11
@ 2008-05-01 21:00   ` Thomas Plank
From: Thomas Plank @ 2008-05-01 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

David Rothenberger wrote:

On 5/1/2008 1:17 PM, Thomas Plank wrote:

>> I have NO kind of the mentioned "BLODA" software installed on my system
>> and my cygwin installation worked now for nearly 4 years.
>> (Windows XP SP2, all security updates)

> I had the same issue and just tracked it down to the ATI Catalyst 8.3
> and 8.4 drivers. I had no problem with the 7.10 version, but with both
> 8.3 and 8.4, my PIDs were never reused and doing a large compile (in my
> case, subversion) would cause the error you mentioned.

Strange! I have an ATI graphic card in my system and I had installed both
8.3 and 8.4.
But not the Catalyst Control Center, just the display drivers. For now,
8.4 is installed.

> I uninstalled the drivers and installed the drivers from Windows Update
> (version 8.421.0.0). I'm not sure if it's the Catalyst Control Center or
> some other part of the 8.4 full driver package, but this solved my problem.

So you are not experiencing any fork() problems any longer? Really
strange. What kind of sh*** the ATI drivers must be ...

Also the time window seems appropriate. 8.3 was released in March I think
and that is around the same time when I payed attention to the error the first
time

> Perhaps another BLODA? :-(

Really seems so. :-(
--
mfg Thomas

* Re: CreateProcessA failed, errno 11 [BLODA alert]
@ 2008-05-01 21:42     ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2008-05-01 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/1/2008 1:57 PM, Thomas Plank wrote:
> David Rothenberger wrote:
>
> On 5/1/2008 1:17 PM, Thomas Plank wrote:
>
>>> I have NO kind of the mentioned "BLODA" software installed on my system
>>> and my cygwin installation worked now for nearly 4 years.
>>> (Windows XP SP2, all security updates)
>
>> I had the same issue and just tracked it down to the ATI Catalyst 8.3
>> and 8.4 drivers. I had no problem with the 7.10 version, but with both
>> 8.3 and 8.4, my PIDs were never reused and doing a large compile (in my
>> case, subversion) would cause the error you mentioned.
>
> Strange! I have an ATI graphic card in my system and I had installed both
> 8.3 and 8.4.
> But not the Catalyst Control Center, just the display drivers. For now,
> 8.4 is installed.
>
>> I uninstalled the drivers and installed the drivers from Windows Update
>> (version 8.421.0.0). I'm not sure if it's the Catalyst Control Center or
>> some other part of the 8.4 full driver package, but this solved my problem.

To clarify, I uninstalled all the ATI drivers using their uninstall
utility. Then, I installed just the WDM Integrated Drivers from the ATI
  driver package. After the reboot, Windows said a new piece of hardware
was detected. I let it search for drivers and it downloaded them from
Windows Update. I'm not really sure what installing the WDM Integration
Drivers did. But, I did not install the ATI Display Drivers or the CCC.

> So you are not experiencing any fork() problems any longer? Really
> strange. What kind of sh*** the ATI drivers must be ...

Nope. I could easily reproduce the problem by building subversion
1.5.0-rc4. My PIDs would get up into the 300,000s and everything would
eventually die with fork errors. Other applications on the system would
also encounter problems. Stopping all Cygwin processes did not solve the
problem; only a reboot did. After uninstalling Cat8.4, I successfully
built subversion and the tests have been running for a few hours. Max
PID on my system is 6032 and page file usage is stable.

> Also the time window seems appropriate. 8.3 was released in March I think
> and that is around the same time when I payed attention to the error the first
> time
>
>> Perhaps another BLODA? :-(
>
> Really seems so. :-(

Yup.

system-independent, adj.:
         Works equally poorly on all systems.

* Re: CreateProcessA failed, errno 11
@ 2008-05-01 22:23   ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2008-05-01 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 1 May 2008, David Rothenberger wrote:

> I had the same issue and just tracked it down to the ATI Catalyst 8.3
> and 8.4 drivers. I had no problem with the 7.10 version, but with both
> 8.3 and 8.4, my PIDs were never reused and doing a large compile (in my
> case, subversion) would cause the error you mentioned.

ATI is aware of the bug.  Me too ;-).

--
Brian Ford
Lead Realtime Software Engineer

* Re: CreateProcessA failed, errno 11 [BLODA alert]
@ 2008-05-02 21:56       ` Thomas Plank
From: Thomas Plank @ 2008-05-02 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

David Rothenberger <daveroth@acm.org> wrote:

>> So you are not experiencing any fork() problems any longer? Really
>> strange. What kind of sh*** the ATI drivers must be ...

> Nope. I could easily reproduce the problem by building subversion
> 1.5.0-rc4. My PIDs would get up into the 300,000s and everything would
> eventually die with fork errors. Other applications on the system would
> also encounter problems. Stopping all Cygwin processes did not solve the
> problem; only a reboot did. After uninstalling Cat8.4, I successfully
> built subversion and the tests have been running for a few hours. Max
> PID on my system is 6032 and page file usage is stable.

Ok, this sounds good.
One question is remaining: How did you hit on that? (Catalyst drivers)
--

@ 2008-05-02 22:01     ` Thomas Plank
From: Thomas Plank @ 2008-05-02 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Brian Ford <Brian.Ford@FlightSafety.com> wrote:

>> I had the same issue and just tracked it down to the ATI Catalyst 8.3
>> and 8.4 drivers. I had no problem with the 7.10 version, but with both
>> 8.3 and 8.4, my PIDs were never reused and doing a large compile (in my
>> case, subversion) would cause the error you mentioned.

> ATI is aware of the bug.  Me too ;-).

I'm not sure if the smiley is also valid for the first sentence.
So they know about it and do you know whether they are willing to solve
this issue?
--
Regards, Thomas

* Re: CreateProcessA failed, errno 11
@ 2008-05-09  2:41     ` Thomas Plank
From: Thomas Plank @ 2008-05-09  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Brian Ford <Brian.Ford@FlightSafety.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 May 2008, David Rothenberger wrote:

>> I had the same issue and just tracked it down to the ATI Catalyst 8.3
>> and 8.4 drivers. I had no problem with the 7.10 version, but with both
>> 8.3 and 8.4, my PIDs were never reused and doing a large compile (in my
>> case, subversion) would cause the error you mentioned.

> ATI is aware of the bug.  Me too ;-).

I just want to inform all other affected by this driver debacle:

I installed driver version 7.12 (still downloadable from AMD aka ATI) and
the fork() errors disappeared as well as memory faults with Windows.
--
mfg Thomas