From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Issue with seteuid and openssh
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 19:51:14 +0200	[thread overview]

Dale Lobb via Cygwin writes:
>   Last night, the server rebooted automatically after windows updates.
> After the reboot, the data gateway was then no longer able to connect
> to the server.  This condition persisted until I was informed of the
> issue this morning and connected to the Windows server using RDP to
> take a look at the issue, at which point the SSH connection suddenly
> started working.  Further tests showed this to be entirely repeatable.
> After rebooting the server, the SSHD daemon does not allow
> connections, neither with password nor public key authorization, until
> someone connects to the server via RDP, at which time the SSH
> connections suddenly starts working again.

Check the dependencies on both the cygserver and sshd service
definitions.  You must start them after the network is up (make them
both depend on tcp_ip and sshd depend on cygserver) or they won't work
correctly.  On domain machines that sometimes still isn't quite enough,
so I've set them to "delayed start" in those instances and that seems to
have fixed it.

Also check that the firewall allows connections through whatever port
you've configured sshd to use.

Regards,
Achim.