* fetchmail/procmail/jed -- cygwin binaries available?
@ 2001-03-14 17:56 Duke Normandin
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Duke Normandin @ 2001-03-14 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

I guess the subject line says it all ;,)
I guess that I can do w/o fetchmail -- but would like to use procmail or
a clone thereof. Also, I'd like to try out jed (using Joe right now), but
only saw a B-20 incarnation. Would this version of Jed work on my recent
cygwin install? Tia...
--
-duke
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

* Re: fetchmail/procmail/jed -- cygwin binaries available?
@ 2001-03-14 18:06 ` Michael Erdely
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Erdely @ 2001-03-14 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Fetchmail is easy, go to the web page (search for it if you have to),
download it, extract it and run ./configure; make; make install.

With the others, I don't know.

-ME

@ 2001-03-14 18:16 ` Rue. SATOH
       [not found]   ` <20010315074142.B121351@mandy.rockingd.calgary.ab.ca>
From: Rue. SATOH @ 2001-03-14 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

01031149> I guess the subject line says it all ;,)
01031149> I guess that I can do w/o fetchmail -- but would like to use procmail or
01031149> a clone thereof. Also, I'd like to try out jed (using Joe right now), but
01031149> only saw a B-20 incarnation. Would this version of Jed work on my recent
01031149> cygwin install? Tia...

Would you like maildrop? That is alternative mail delivery agent.
I use this instead of procmail.

http://www.flounder.net/~mrsam/maildrop/

I compiled maildrop, and that's work fine in my box.
RPM package of that is distributed in my page.

http://www10.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/fa2/riue-s/
--
[ Rue. SATOH ]  Like a heavy moon.

* Re: fetchmail/procmail/jed -- cygwin binaries available?
@ 2001-03-14 21:04 ` Enoch Wu
From: Enoch Wu @ 2001-03-14 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 03:23:11PM -0700, Duke Normandin wrote:
> I guess the subject line says it all ;,)
> I guess that I can do w/o fetchmail -- but would like to use procmail or
> a clone thereof. Also, I'd like to try out jed (using Joe right now), but
> only saw a B-20 incarnation. Would this version of Jed work on my recent
> cygwin install? Tia...
> --
> -duke
> Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hi

Mutt's regular expression and folder-hook is very powerful - almost like procmail functionality. I can drop mails into various folders.

EW

* Re: fetchmail/procmail/jed -- cygwin binaries available?
@ 2001-03-15  3:50   ` Corinna Vinschen
       [not found]   ` <20010315074142.B121351@mandy.rockingd.calgary.ab.ca>
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-03-15  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 11:19:17AM +0900, Rue. SATOH wrote:
> Would you like maildrop? That is alternative mail delivery agent.
> I use this instead of procmail.
>
> http://www.flounder.net/~mrsam/maildrop/
>
> I compiled maildrop, and that's work fine in my box.

Did it build OOTB or did you patch it somehow?

That sounds interesting. Together with ssmtp and fetchmail with -mda
option we would have a full mailing system.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: fetchmail/procmail/jed -- cygwin binaries available?
@ 2001-03-15  8:32   ` Malcolm Boekhoff
From: Malcolm Boekhoff @ 2001-03-15  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin News Group

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 03:23:11PM -0700, Duke Normandin wrote:
> > I guess the subject line says it all ;,)
> > I guess that I can do w/o fetchmail -- but would like to use procmail or
> > a clone thereof. Also, I'd like to try out jed (using Joe right now), but
> > only saw a B-20 incarnation. Would this version of Jed work on my recent
> > cygwin install? Tia...
> > --
> > -duke
> > Calgary, Alberta, Canada
> >
> Hi
>
> Mutt's regular expression and folder-hook is very powerful - almost like procmail functionality. I can drop mails into various
folders.

How? I'm sure I'm not alone in trying to get this to work.

* Re: fetchmail/procmail/jed -- cygwin binaries available?
@ 2001-03-15 10:04     ` Enoch Wu
From: Enoch Wu @ 2001-03-15 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Malcolm Boekhoff; +Cc: Cygwin News Group

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Malcolm Boekhoff wrote:

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Enoch wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Mutt's regular expression and folder-hook is very powerful - almost like procmail functionality. I can drop mails into various
> folders.
>
> How? I'm sure I'm not alone in trying to get this to work.

Not very easily and I have not tried it. Take a look at Sven's example at
http://www.mutt.org .

I am attaching a section of his 'rc' file below:

# Saving "official" mails from the local "mailing lists"
# (at inf.fu-berlin.de and math.fu-belin.de) - evil stuff!
# We can put all these into a single save-hook
# even though it takes a very strange expression:
  save-hook  "~C
'(alle?|m?-?studi-replies|all-replies|studi?s?|studenten)@.*(inf|math)' |
~C ^alle?$"   +ALL
#
# One of these days I'll be taking pictures of the
# expression on people's faces when they see this.  ;-)

# Some more local mailing lists:
  save-hook  "~C  hackers@math"                     +HACKERS
  save-hook  "~C      key@math"                     +KEY
  save-hook  "~C security@.*inf"                    +IN.SECURITY
  save-hook  "~C security@lists.spline.de"          +IN.SECURITY
  save-hook  "~C schulz-schueler@math.fu-berlin.de" +TERMINE

# Mailing lists which can be identified by one of
# the addresses their are sent *to* (hence "~C"):
  save-hook  "~C linux-l(-announce)?@.*in-berlin.de" +IN.LINUX
  save-hook  "~C nano@doesnotexist.com"             +IN.NANO
  save-hook  "~C viaginfo@"                         +IN.VIAGINFO
  save-hook  "~C viagservice@"                      +IN.VIAGSERVICE
  save-hook  "~C vim-multibyte@vim.org"             +IN.VIM

---- THE END OF E-MAIL ---

* Re: fetchmail/procmail/jed -- cygwin binaries available?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-03-15 13:36 ` Dmitry Yaitskov
From: Dmitry Yaitskov @ 2001-03-15 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Cygwin List

Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net> wrote:

> I guess the subject line says it all ;,)
> I guess that I can do w/o fetchmail -- but would like to use procmail or
> a clone thereof. Also, I'd like to try out jed (using Joe right now), but
> only saw a B-20 incarnation. Would this version of Jed work on my recent
> cygwin install? Tia...
> --
> -duke
> Calgary, Alberta, Canada

For mail delivery, I've found Mercury to be excellent:

http://pmail.com/overviews/ovw_mercwin.htm

(Sorry for OT, as Mercury is not a cygwin app; but it works great
nontheless.)

--
Cheers,
-Dima.

@ 2001-03-15 17:41     ` Rue. SATOH
From: Rue. SATOH @ 2001-03-15 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

01031149> Thank you for the URL to your maildrop binary. Unfortunately, I'm a
01031149> newbie to Unix, and I don't know how to use RPM -- heck I don't even know
01031149> what it means and what it does. My only exposure to Unix so far has been
01031149> 3 months on FreeBSD, and 2 weeks on Cygwin. Soooo, when using RPM, do I
01031149> need to compile anything? I installed a minimal Cygwin, so I don't have
01031149> gcc or Perl -- is that a problem? Thanks for your patience and
01031149> understanding! Regards....

OK. First, you should install gcc, make, binutils and other
development tools.  You must install gdbm too because maildrop use
this.

Then, get maildrop's source tarball from
http://www.flounder.net/~mrsam/maildrop/ (I compiled version 1.2.2.).

I attach my *dirty* patch for maildrop to this email.
Extract the tarball, and apply this patch to sources.

How to build:

$ tar zxvf maildrop-1.2.2.tar.gz
$ cd maildrop-1.2.2

$ patch -p1 < maildrop-1.2.2-cygwin.patch
$ ./configure --with-devel --enable-userdb --enable-maildirquota \
           --enable-syslog=1 \
           --enable-trusted-users='root mail daemon postmaster qmaild mmdf' \
           --enable-restrict-trusted=0
$ make
$ make install-strip

Or, you can get rpm-3.0.6 binary and maildrop's rpm binary package
from my page.and extract this tarball at root directory.  This tarball
include a command named 'rpm2cpio'. You can install maildrop's rpm
package by following at root directory:

rpm2cpio maildrop-1.2.2-2.i686-cygwin.rpm | cpio -idv

Sorry my poor English.
Good luck!

--
Rue. SATOH

* Re: fetchmail/procmail/jed -- cygwin binaries available?
@ 2001-03-15 17:49     ` Rue. SATOH
From: Rue. SATOH @ 2001-03-15 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen:
> Did it build OOTB or did you patch it somehow?
>
> That sounds interesting. Together with ssmtp and fetchmail with -mda
> option we would have a full mailing system.

I'll send a patch for maildrop to cygwin@cygwin.com.
But this patch is *dirty*.

Maildrop use 'setuid()' like functions for delivery to other user expect
one who launched maildrop. I cannot resolve this problem.
Corinna, can you solve this problem?
--
[ Rue. SATOH ] Like a heavy moon.

* Re: fetchmail/procmail/jed -- cygwin binaries available?
@ 2001-03-16  0:33       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-03-16  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 10:52:25AM +0900, Rue. SATOH wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen:
> > Did it build OOTB or did you patch it somehow?
> >
> > That sounds interesting. Together with ssmtp and fetchmail with -mda
> > option we would have a full mailing system.
>
> I'll send a patch for maildrop to cygwin@cygwin.com.
> But this patch is *dirty*.
>
> Maildrop use 'setuid()' like functions for delivery to other user expect
> one who launched maildrop. I cannot resolve this problem.
> Corinna, can you solve this problem?

Probably but I have definitely not the time to do this right now.

In theory that should be no problem. As a first hack simply
uncomment these calls or ignore the return value. If maildrop
uses strict chmod settings, open them up. If maildrop then works
without complaining we could care to rearranging security again.
I have written a function for OpenSSH which checks if security
makes sense, dependent of the used file system and if ntea/ntsec
are on or off. We could recycle that functionality as desired.

However, I saw in your patch that you have used `#ifndef __CYGWIN__'
in the setprocgroup function. Why didn't you simply undef the
HAS_SETPGRP and HAS_SETPGID defines in config.h resp. unset them
explicitely in configure.in when building for a cygwin target?
This is way cleaner.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: fetchmail/procmail/jed -- cygwin binaries available?
@ 2001-03-16  5:33         ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-03-16  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> In theory that should be no problem. As a first hack simply
> uncomment these calls or ignore the return value. If maildrop
> uses strict chmod settings, open them up. If maildrop then works
> without complaining we could care to rearranging security again.
> I have written a function for OpenSSH which checks if security
> makes sense, dependent of the used file system and if ntea/ntsec
> are on or off. We could recycle that functionality as desired.

Or, should this become an official Cygwin specific API?  Then you
wouldn't have to recycle, it would simply be the way you do it.

Earnie.

* Re: fetchmail/procmail/jed -- cygwin binaries available?
@ 2001-03-16  5:53           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-03-16  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Chris Faylor

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 08:33:26AM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >
> > In theory that should be no problem. As a first hack simply
> > uncomment these calls or ignore the return value. If maildrop
> > uses strict chmod settings, open them up. If maildrop then works
> > without complaining we could care to rearranging security again.
> > I have written a function for OpenSSH which checks if security
> > makes sense, dependent of the used file system and if ntea/ntsec
> > are on or off. We could recycle that functionality as desired.
> >

> Or, should this become an official Cygwin specific API?  Then you
> wouldn't have to recycle, it would simply be the way you do it.

Good point. Chris? Do you think that makes sense?

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: fetchmail/procmail/jed -- cygwin binaries available?
@ 2001-03-16  8:00             ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2001-03-16  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 02:53:11PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 08:33:26AM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> >
>> > In theory that should be no problem. As a first hack simply
>> > uncomment these calls or ignore the return value. If maildrop
>> > uses strict chmod settings, open them up. If maildrop then works
>> > without complaining we could care to rearranging security again.
>> > I have written a function for OpenSSH which checks if security
>> > makes sense, dependent of the used file system and if ntea/ntsec
>> > are on or off. We could recycle that functionality as desired.
>> >

>> Or, should this become an official Cygwin specific API?  Then you
>> wouldn't have to recycle, it would simply be the way you do it.
>
>Good point. Chris? Do you think that makes sense?

I hate adding cygwin specific APIs but maybe this make sense.

Hmm.  Isn't there a way to figure this out using a UNIX API?  Could
we extend pathconf, maybe?

cgf

* Re: fetchmail/procmail/jed -- cygwin binaries available?
@ 2001-03-16  9:00               ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-03-16  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 10:55:51AM -0500, Chris Faylor wrote:
> Hmm.  Isn't there a way to figure this out using a UNIX API?  Could
> we extend pathconf, maybe?

Yup. That makes sense.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.