* Emacs: completion of buffer names ignores case
@ 2002-12-12 18:25 Eric Hanchrow
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2002-12-12 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm using emacs-21.2-10.

I frequently want to switch to the buffer named `*shell*', so I type

        C-x b * s h e SPC RET

expecting that, since `*shell*' is the only buffer whose name begins
with `*she', the SPC will cause its complete name (`*shell*') to
appear in the minibuffer, and the RET will cause Emacs to switch to
it.  Instead, when there's a buffer named `*Shell Command Output*',
the name doesn't complete fully: after I hit RET, I'm looking at a
brand-new buffer named `*shell'.  This isn't what I wanted :(

It's as if Emacs has decided to ignore case when completing what I've
typed.  Indeed, if I type TAB instead of RET, I see

    Click <mouse-2> on a completion to select it.
    In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.

    Possible completions are:
    *Shell Command Output*             *shell*

Now, I can understand that Emacs would ignore case when completing
file names on Windows, since Windows itself doesn't distinguish file
names by case.  But since Emacs does distinguish buffer names by case,
I expect it, when completing buffer names, to ignore a buffer whose
name differs in case from what I've typed.

Is this a bug?

--
PGP Fingerprint: 3E7B A3F3 96CA 8958 ACC5  C8BD 6337 0041 C01C 5276

* Re: Emacs: completion of buffer names ignores case
@ 2002-12-13  6:41 ` Joe Buehler
From: Joe Buehler @ 2002-12-13  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Eric Hanchrow wrote:

>     Possible completions are:
>     *Shell Command Output*             *shell*
>
> Now, I can understand that Emacs would ignore case when completing
> file names on Windows, since Windows itself doesn't distinguish file
> names by case.  But since Emacs does distinguish buffer names by case,
> I expect it, when completing buffer names, to ignore a buffer whose
> name differs in case from what I've typed.
>
> Is this a bug?

Undoubtedly -- I made some patches to the LISP source in 21.2-9
to attempt to get the proper case-insensitivity changes for Cygwin.

Let me look and see what I can find.

Joe Buehler

* Re: Emacs: completion of buffer names ignores case
@ 2002-12-13  7:33 ` Joe Buehler
From: Joe Buehler @ 2002-12-13  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Eric,

While looking at this, I tried it -- and I have no problem on
my machine.  Would you run

emacs --no-site-file --no-init-file

and see if you still have the problem?  Also, what version
of windows are you running?

Joe Buehler

* Re: Emacs: completion of buffer names ignores case
@ 2002-12-13  7:39   ` Joe Buehler
From: Joe Buehler @ 2002-12-13  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Eric,

I think you have "completion-ignore-case" set to t in your emacs.
It is not set in mine.  Fire it up with the no-init args I posted
previously and see if it is still set.

Joe Buehler

* Re: Emacs: completion of buffer names ignores case
@ 2002-12-13 14:45 ` Jari Aalto+mail.emacs
From: Jari Aalto+mail.emacs @ 2002-12-13 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* 2002-12-12 Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net> list.cygwin
> I'm using emacs-21.2-10.
>
> I frequently want to switch to the buffer named `*shell*', so I type
>     *Shell Command Output*             *shell*
>
> Now, I can understand that Emacs would ignore case when completing
> file names on Windows, since Windows itself doesn't distinguish file
> names by case.  But since Emacs does distinguish buffer names by case,
> I expect it, when completing buffer names, to ignore a buffer whose
> name differs in case from what I've typed.

You may like package `ibuffer'

  (global-set-key "\C-xb" 'iswitchb-buffer)
  (autoload 'iswitchb-buffer "iswitchb" "" t)

  (setq iswitchb-default-method     'always-frame)
  (setq iswitchb-case               nil)
  (setq iswitchb-resize-minibuffer-mode nil)

Just type ANY characters you remember, and hit RET.

Jari