* Octave plotting window becomes unresponsive
@ 2013-02-25 13:03 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-02-25 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

If you've seen the earlier thread, I think I can excuse Emacs from being
responsible for the hangup of the plot window.

The issue happens in standalone Octave as well: whenever Octave terminal output
gets tied up by the pager, the plot window becomes unresponsive.  Now, Emacs
runs Octave through pipes and this is likely where things get knotty.  In this
case somehow the thread that is responsible for managing the plotting window
seems to get stopped or the pipe that feeds data into the window does hang.  I'm
not sure how helpful this observation is in finding a remedy, but first I'd like
to know if the current release version of Cygwin (I'm using the latest snapshot)
shows the same behaviour.  Sorry, can't roll back the Cygwin DLL myself for at
least a few days.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Octave plotting window becomes unresponsive
@ 2013-02-25 19:43 ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2013-02-25 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/25/2013 2:03 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> If you've seen the earlier thread, I think I can excuse Emacs from being
> responsible for the hangup of the plot window.
>
> The issue happens in standalone Octave as well: whenever Octave terminal output
> gets tied up by the pager, the plot window becomes unresponsive.  Now, Emacs
> runs Octave through pipes and this is likely where things get knotty.  In this
> case somehow the thread that is responsible for managing the plotting window
> seems to get stopped or the pipe that feeds data into the window does hang.  I'm
> not sure how helpful this observation is in finding a remedy, but first I'd like
> to know if the current release version of Cygwin (I'm using the latest snapshot)
> shows the same behaviour.  Sorry, can't roll back the Cygwin DLL myself for at
> least a few days.
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

Achim,

I have no problem on plotting with 3.6.4 on snapshot  1.7.18s(0.263/5/3)
20130131

with both fltk and gnuplot

could you send me a test case ?

Regards
Marco

* Re: Octave plotting window becomes unresponsive
@ 2013-02-26  8:26   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-02-26  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

marco atzeri <marco.atzeri <at> gmail.com> writes:
> could you send me a test case ?

graphics_toolkit "fltk"
plot(1:10,rand(10))

After getting the plot window, move the window around, enlarge it or zoom into
some part of the plot to check that it is responsive.

rand(1000)

Try if the plot window is responsive while either the computation is still
running or the pager for the output is running.  It isn't for me, I have to kill
the pager before I can do anything in the plot window again.

@ 2013-02-26 21:10     ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2013-02-26 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/26/2013 9:26 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> marco atzeri <marco.atzeri <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> could you send me a test case ?
>
> graphics_toolkit "fltk"
> plot(1:10,rand(10))
>
> After getting the plot window, move the window around, enlarge it or zoom into
> some part of the plot to check that it is responsive.
>
> rand(1000)
>
> Try if the plot window is responsive while either the computation is still
> running or the pager for the output is running.  It isn't for me, I have to kill
> the pager before I can do anything in the plot window again.
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

I had the impression was always like that, fltk is tighter
integrated in octave than gnuplot,
so if octave is waiting the pager so is doing the fltk plot.

Have you seen differently on 3.6.2 ?
The main difference is the switch from fltk 1.1 to 1.3

Marco

* Re: Octave plotting window becomes unresponsive
@ 2013-02-26 21:34       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-02-26 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

marco atzeri writes:
> I had the impression was always like that, fltk is tighter
> integrated in octave than gnuplot,
> so if octave is waiting the pager so is doing the fltk plot.

Yes, that part is clear (I think the same happens with gnuplot, but
isn't as easily visible) and the same happens on Linux (I just tried).
I think that when octave runs inside Emacs, the wrong pipe blocks since
that's pretty much the difference of running in Emacs vs. running inside
a tty.  I just see that this _also_ happens on Linux.  Great, so I'll
have to dig out older Emacsen and see which one of them did work, based
on the assumption that it was a change in Emacs that did this and not
one in Octave.

Gnuplot on Linux still has these strange CPU spikes before each plot
(this was what pushed me to fltk), but at least it stays controllable
even when octave is busy.  Let's see how this works on Cygwin, tomorrow.

> Have you seen differently on 3.6.2 ?
> The main difference is the switch from fltk 1.1 to 1.3

I can't say with certainty for the recipe I gave, but my impression is
that this didn't make any difference.  But in light of the above, the
issue may be different than what I had assumed.

Regards,
Achim.