public inbox for cygwin@cygwin.com
From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: How to handle length limit of PATH environment variable
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2018 18:48:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Andrey Repin writes:
> P.P.S.
> Partial solution could be a wrapper that reduce PATH length by dropping
> nonessential/duplicate/Win-specific paths before invoking Cygwin terminal.
> I have such a wrapper for my own reasons.

You don't need one if your login shell is a POSIX shell and you don't
use Windows applications if you have set a system or user variable
CYGWIN_NOWINPATH to a non-empty value.  For tcsh I have patched
/etc/csh.login to do the moral equivalent; I guess that should be
packaged with tcsh eventually.

It's usually way easier to add to a clean path than removing cruft and I
generally lean into the direction of using wrapper scripts for Windows
applications that I need to use from Cygwin since quite often some other
things need attention aside from PATH.

Regards,
Achim.