* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: run-1.3.2 (test version: run-1.3.3)
@ 2014-09-07  3:28 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-09-07  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Launch cmdline programs with hidden console via run.

Notes:

The maintainer of run, Charles Wilson, can currently not be reached.  We
hope he is well and just busy with other things.  I have taken over
maintenance temporarily.

Changes:

1.3.2-1 (bugfix release)

        * src/run.c: Revert a change that surrounds all arguments with
          double quotes.

1.3.3-1 (test release)

        * src/run.c: New option "--quote", which auto-quotes arguments
          containing whitespace or backslash characters.

The new files should appear on your favorite mirror within the next day.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: run-1.3.2 (test version: run-1.3.3)
@ 2014-09-26 17:18 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2014-09-26 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 06/09/2014 22:22, Achim Gratz wrote:
[..]

> 1.3.3-1 (test release)
>
>          * src/run.c: New option "--quote", which auto-quotes arguments
>            containing whitespace or backslash characters.

Any chance this can be promoted to current? It seems that --quote is
necessary for commands of the form 'run /usr/bin/bash -l -c "command
args"' to work, which are used quite a lot in X start menu items (e.g.
see [1]).

I guess these start menu items used to work at some point in the past,
so I assume there been some change in Cygwin command line processing
which means this is now needed, but I can't track anything down...

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2014-09/msg00026.html

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: run-1.3.2 (test version: run-1.3.3)
@ 2014-09-26 18:32   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-09-26 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Jon TURNEY writes:
> Any chance this can be promoted to current? It seems that --quote is
> necessary for commands of the form 'run /usr/bin/bash -l -c "command
> args"' to work, which are used quite a lot in X start menu items
> (e.g. see [1]).

It's possible (if tedious in some instances) to arrange for the correct
quotes to end up in the process arguments without that option.  Shortcut
processing (we're talking a Windows shortcut here, right?) doesn't go
through shell, so I'd expect "\"...\"" to work in this particular case.

> I guess these start menu items used to work at some point in the past,
> so I assume there been some change in Cygwin command line processing
> which means this is now needed, but I can't track anything down...

Well, yours is the the first feedback since that release... I don't mind
releasing 1.3.3, but I'd hoped for some testers to give a thumbs up
first.

@ 2014-10-14 19:45   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-10-14 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Jon TURNEY writes:
> Any chance this can be promoted to current? It seems that --quote is
> necessary for commands of the form 'run /usr/bin/bash -l -c "command
> args"' to work, which are used quite a lot in X start menu items
> (e.g. see [1]).

I would appreciate if you could let me know if that release solves your
problem.

Regards,
Achim.