* Sometimes Emacs sticks on forking...
@ 2017-06-12 21:31 Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2017-06-12 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I use latest Cygwin Emacs W32 under Windows 10 x64 and Emacs spawns external
processes like hg/git when it open file.

Sometimes it freezes and in procexp I see spawned Emacs fork.

Usual build-in Emacs C-g key binding doesn't help much (it work with lots of
key press and long delay). It is faster to find Emacs fork in procexp and kill
it.

I've read

  https://www.cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-fork-failures

and some suggestion to debug is:

  CYGWIN=detect_bloda

How can I get messages from GUI program? Emacs W32 open conhost terminal
buffer. Is that a place where I should expect warn message?

What if problem occur in temporary spawned processes from Emacs? Do they
attached to conhost terminal buffer?

I have one BLODA, Windows Defender (win10 x64). How can I disable it? I see
tricks like:

  Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
  "DisableAntiSpyware"=dword:00000001
  "DisableRoutinelyTakingAction"=dword:00000001

I have Home license and have no access to Group Policy editor...

--
http://defun.work/

* Re: Sometimes Emacs sticks on forking...
@ 2017-06-13  6:34 ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2017-06-13  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-06-13, Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:

> I have one BLODA, Windows Defender (win10 x64). How can I disable it? I see
> tricks like:
>
>   Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
>   [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
>   "DisableAntiSpyware"=dword:00000001
>   "DisableRoutinelyTakingAction"=dword:00000001

I sill see "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCuiL.exe" process. Don't
know if any executable address space polluted with Windows Defender though.

--

@ 2017-06-13  7:28 ` Václav Haisman
From: Václav Haisman @ 2017-06-13  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12 June 2017 at 23:30, Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use latest Cygwin Emacs W32 under Windows 10 x64 and Emacs spawns external
> processes like hg/git when it open file.
>
> Sometimes it freezes and in procexp I see spawned Emacs fork.
>
> Usual build-in Emacs C-g key binding doesn't help much (it work with lots of
> key press and long delay). It is faster to find Emacs fork in procexp and kill
> it.
>
> I've read
>
>   https://www.cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-fork-failures
>
> and some suggestion to debug is:
>
>   CYGWIN=detect_bloda
>
> How can I get messages from GUI program? Emacs W32 open conhost terminal
> buffer. Is that a place where I should expect warn message?
>
> What if problem occur in temporary spawned processes from Emacs? Do they
> attached to conhost terminal buffer?
>
> I have one BLODA, Windows Defender (win10 x64). How can I disable it? I see
> tricks like:
>
>   Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
>   [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
>   "DisableAntiSpyware"=dword:00000001
>   "DisableRoutinelyTakingAction"=dword:00000001
>
> I have Home license and have no access to Group Policy editor...

We do not use Windows Defender and I am seeing this occasionally as
well. We use McAfee though.

--
VH

* Re: Sometimes Emacs sticks on forking...
@ 2017-06-13 17:17   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-06-13 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-06-13 01:28, Václav Haisman wrote:
> On 12 June 2017 at 23:30, Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I use latest Cygwin Emacs W32 under Windows 10 x64 and Emacs spawns external
>> processes like hg/git when it open file.
>> Sometimes it freezes and in procexp I see spawned Emacs fork.
>> Usual build-in Emacs C-g key binding doesn't help much (it work with lots of
>> key press and long delay). It is faster to find Emacs fork in procexp and kill
>> it.
>> I've read
>>   https://www.cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-fork-failures
>> and some suggestion to debug is:
>>   CYGWIN=detect_bloda
>> How can I get messages from GUI program? Emacs W32 open conhost terminal
>> buffer. Is that a place where I should expect warn message?
>> What if problem occur in temporary spawned processes from Emacs? Do they
>> attached to conhost terminal buffer?
>> I have one BLODA, Windows Defender (win10 x64). How can I disable it? I see
>> tricks like:
>>   Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>   [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
>>   "DisableAntiSpyware"=dword:00000001
>>   "DisableRoutinelyTakingAction"=dword:00000001
>> I have Home license and have no access to Group Policy editor...
> We do not use Windows Defender and I am seeing this occasionally as
> well. We use McAfee though.

I have found that McAfee/Intel, Norton/Symantec, AVG/Avast and similar
heavy weight intrusive packages slow down I/O on your systems, and
cause various problems, unless you whitelist the programs you are using
at that time.

If you want to run an AV, try Windows Defender, and Windows Firewall
(with MSE/MS Security Essentials free download if you are still on W7).
They seem to do the same job less intrusively with fewer problems,
mainly the occasional annoying false positive.

* Re: Sometimes Emacs sticks on forking...
@ 2017-06-15  6:49     ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2017-06-15  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-06-13, Brian Inglis wrote:

> If you want to run an AV, try Windows Defender, and Windows Firewall
> (with MSE/MS Security Essentials free download if you are still on W7).
> They seem to do the same job less intrusively with fewer problems,
> mainly the occasional annoying false positive.

Windows Defender is on BLODA list:

  https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda

I actually want to disable it, not to install ((

And it is prepackaged for Win10 Home edition (that is free update).

> On 12 June 2017 at 23:30, Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>   Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>   [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
>>   "DisableAntiSpyware"=dword:00000001
>>   "DisableRoutinelyTakingAction"=dword:00000001

Those settings doesn't prevent ``C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCuiL.exe``
from starting ((

--

@ 2017-06-15 12:31       ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-06-15 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 6/15/2017 2:48 AM, Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:
> On 2017-06-13, Brian Inglis wrote:
>
>> If you want to run an AV, try Windows Defender, and Windows Firewall
>> (with MSE/MS Security Essentials free download if you are still on W7).
>> They seem to do the same job less intrusively with fewer problems,
>> mainly the occasional annoying false positive.
>
> Windows Defender is on BLODA list:
>
>   https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda
>
> I actually want to disable it, not to install ((
>
> And it is prepackaged for Win10 Home edition (that is free update).
>
>> On 12 June 2017 at 23:30, Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>   Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>>   [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
>>>   "DisableAntiSpyware"=dword:00000001
>>>   "DisableRoutinelyTakingAction"=dword:00000001
>
> Those settings doesn't prevent ``C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCuiL.exe``
> from starting ((

Does
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-permanently-disable-windows-defender-windows-10
work for you?

--
cyg Simple

* Re: Sometimes Emacs sticks on forking...
@ 2017-06-15 17:54       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-06-15 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-06-15 00:48, Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:
> On 2017-06-13, Brian Inglis wrote:
>
>> If you want to run an AV, try Windows Defender, and Windows Firewall
>> (with MSE/MS Security Essentials free download if you are still on W7).
>> They seem to do the same job less intrusively with fewer problems,
>> mainly the occasional annoying false positive.
>
> Windows Defender is on BLODA list:
>
>   https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda

BLODA list has no dates or versions against entries, so it's possible
that an earlier standalone MS Security product had problems, that may be
lessened in the functions available in Windows 7 and 10.

> I actually want to disable it, not to install ((

If you want to disable its functions, go into Settings, Updates &
security, Windows Defender, exclude Cygwin or Windows root directory,
then switch settings off.
You may also have to change settings under Control Panel, Security and
Maintenance, Security, to disable functions.

> And it is prepackaged for Win10 Home edition (that is free update).
>
>> On 12 June 2017 at 23:30, Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>   Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>>   [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
>>>   "DisableAntiSpyware"=dword:00000001
>>>   "DisableRoutinelyTakingAction"=dword:00000001

They are probably also changeable from Settings as above.

> Those settings doesn't prevent ``C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCuiL.exe``
> from starting ((

Go to Task Manager, Startup, Windows Defender notification icon, and set
it to disable. You may have to kill the task, or restart Windows to stop
it running, and you may then have to tell Windows that you really don't
want to run Windows Defender.

* Re: Sometimes Emacs sticks on forking...
@ 2017-06-15 19:35         ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2017-06-15 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-06-15, cyg Simple wrote:

> Does
> https://www.windowscentral.com/how-permanently-disable-windows-defender-windows-10
> work for you?

I don't have access to "Group Policy". gpedit.msc isn't bundled in Home Edition.

Registry trick as I said doesn't work.

"Settings app" menu has different appearance. I disable "Real-time protection"
but still have MSASCuiL.exe running (after reboot).

Microsoft may be smart enough to forbid disabling Defender...

I've got another response that tell me something new, this information is
provided just for a record.

--
http://defun.work/