* RE: Pushing out Cygwin installations
@ 2001-01-11 12:56 Danko, Gary
From: Danko, Gary @ 2001-01-11 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

My solution is.
1) Install to a good system
2) Zip D:\Cygwin
3) Export registry keys to tex (.ini) files
4) Unzip to new computer's D: drive
5) Use REGINI.EXE to install the keys to the new system.

:)

Works like a charm.

From: Danko, Gary @ 2001-01-11 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

You know what was cool.. copy CMD.EXE to D:\Cygwin\bin and modify
/etc/passwd so that my shell is /bin/cmd

When I login via SSH I get the NT CLI :)

From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-01-11 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'; +Cc: gary.danko

@ 2001-01-11 10:14 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-11 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danko, Gary, 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

At 12:41 PM 1/11/2001, Danko, Gary wrote:
>Okay let me get this straight. :)
>
>Got a plain vanilla install.  Copy the Cygwin directory to the new server.
>Create the mount points and I am done?

Yup.

>Do I need to copy HKLM\Software\Cygnus Solutions ???

Nope.

>Oh, I tried to run mount.. Here's what happened.
>
>bash-2.04$ pwd
>/cygwin/bin
>bash-2.04$ ./mount
>Device              Directory           Type         Flags
>bash-2.04$ ./mount d:\cygwin /
>./mount: /: Invalid argument

user-error.  Don't forget that \ is an escape character in Cygwin, just like
in UNIX.

@ 2001-01-11 10:10 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2001-01-11 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gary.danko; +Cc: cygwin

> Got a plain vanilla install.  Copy the Cygwin directory to the new server.
> Create the mount points and I am done?

Yes.  Assuming the user accounts all match, else re-run
mkpasswd/mkgroup and/or edit /etc/passwd and /etc/group.

> Do I need to copy HKLM\Software\Cygnus Solutions ???

No.

> bash-2.04$ ./mount d:\cygwin /

mount -f d:/cygwin /

* Re: Pushing out Cygwin installations
@ 2001-01-11  9:47 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-01-11  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 12:16:49PM -0500, Danko, Gary wrote:
> There was no mount table in my registry. I went into regedit and exported
> the entire Cygnus key from HKLM\Software
>
> When is that created? Is there something I can do to force Cygwin to create
> that key?

Don't forget that each user may change it's personal mount table.
You can reproduce an installation only if you are sure that
nobody has added user mount points in the meantime.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* RE: Pushing out Cygwin installations
@ 2001-01-11  9:42 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-11  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danko, Gary, 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

At 12:20 PM 1/11/2001, Danko, Gary wrote:
>I did notice on my Win2k test box here at work I have the key:
>
>HKLM\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts
>
>And under that is a bunch of empty keys.
>
>The NT box I installed to doesn't have the 'CYGWIN.DLL setup' key

What about HKCU?

You should really let "mount" handle this though.

This message will repeat in 5 seconds...

* RE: Pushing out Cygwin installations
@ 2001-01-11  9:41 Danko, Gary
                   ` (2 more replies)

@ 2001-01-11  9:38 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-01-11  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'; +Cc: gary.danko

@ 2001-01-11  9:34 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-11  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danko, Gary, 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Ah, yes.  Invoke mount!;-)

I hear an echo...

@ 2001-01-11  9:20 Danko, Gary

@ 2001-01-11  9:19 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-11  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danko, Gary, 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

At 12:01 PM 1/11/2001, Danko, Gary wrote:
>I couldn't find this anywhere in the archives. I want to install Cygwin once
>and push it out to about 150 indentical servers. I tried copying the
>directory as well as the registry key to another server but that failed to
>give me the desired results.
>
>The NEW installation couldn't find "root" so that made me curious. Where
>does Cygwin store the information about the location of root?
>
>If I install Cygwin on one machine.. How could I copy that installation
>reliably to another machine?
>
>Thanks
>Gary

The output of "mount" will tell you where the machine that you moved stuff
to thinks the root is.  If you've moved the registry keys correctly and if
they make sense for the new machine, there shouldn't be any problem
theoretically.  Still, I haven't tried this myself so there may be other
issues in practice.

* RE: Pushing out Cygwin installations
@ 2001-01-11  9:16 Danko, Gary
                   ` (2 more replies)