* Re: Conflict between Cygwin 1.7 and Ubuntu for Windows 14316
@ 2016-04-15  0:56 KARL BOTTS
From: KARL BOTTS @ 2016-04-15  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Did the inability of UoW to read a Cygwin created file ever get explained?

Last I saw was from Evgeny Grin, which contained the iacls dumps.

What jumps out is that the non-Cyg files have X perms, the Cyg file does not.
I assume others noticed that.  Of course, X perms should not be needed to read
the file.

Also, the perms shown by the UoW ls differ a lot from what the Cyg ls shows,
for the same file.  It would seem they are _interpreting_ Win perms as
different sets of Unix perms.

And the creat() operation may be _assigning_ the Win perms differently, too.
Maybe differences handling umask values, or maybe different "effective" umask
values, somehow?  Yet somehow I doubt the umask is it; there could be lots of
underlying causes.

I am not a bit surprised things differ.  Who do we think is right, if either?

And then, an interesting question.  Suppose we Cygwin users think we have
identified a defect in UoW.  Do we notify the MS people?  Whom and how?  I
guess I think we should, though I'm not happy about it.  (If they are wise,
they will be lurking here, for exactly this reason...)

Really, I am just curious, no dog in any fight...

---
Karl Botts, kdbotts@usa.net

* Re: Conflict between Cygwin 1.7 and Ubuntu for Windows 14316
@ 2016-04-13 17:32 KARL BOTTS
From: KARL BOTTS @ 2016-04-13 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

How about the perms on the dir containing the file?

---
Karl Botts, kdbotts@usa.net

* Conflict between Cygwin 1.7 and Ubuntu for Windows 14316
@ 2016-04-13  5:23 John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2016-04-13  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

After many years as a contented Cygwin user, I decided to check out
the new Ubuntu on Windows (UoW) product from Microsoft.  I promptly
ran into a nasty problem.  I have filed it with the MS Feedback Hub,
but I thought I should post here as well.

When a file is created under Cygwin, it can neither be read nor written
by UoW.  Any attempt to do so returns EACCES.  It does not matter
whether the UoW user is root or not, and it does not matter what the
file permissions are as seen by UoW, or whether the file is in the UoW
root (which is really C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\lxss\rootfs)
or elsewhere on C: (which is mounted by UoW at /mnt/c).  It also does
not matter who has written to the file (Win32, Cygwin, or UoW).
Directories are not affected by this problem.

Is Cygwin creating ordinary files with some kind of magic that's different
from creating a file, say, by output redirection in cmd.exe, or in a Win32
application?  This is not about file names with funny characters, either.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan@ccil.org
C'est la` pourtant que se livre le sens du dire, de ce que, s'y conjuguant