* Re: windows and cygwin compiled dll ?
@ 2002-05-29  5:32 Demmer, Thomas
From: Demmer, Thomas @ 2002-05-29  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

@ 2002-05-29  9:56         ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-05-29  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hansen, cygwin

At 02:38 AM 5/29/2002, Stefan Hansen wrote:

> > project.
> > lib

> > >Linking whith .a (which i copy to .lib) is no problem. But during the
> > >execution i got an Access Violation.
> >

> > Then it's unlikely that creating a .lib instead will help you.  The .lib
> > will be the same import library as the .a.
>
>If this librarys are the same, why dlltool ? or are im stupid at all ?

dlltool is necessary to create an import library from a DLL.  Once the import
library is created though, you don't need dlltool. ;-)

>I think changing the extension is the wrong way. I think using dlltool is
>the proper way.

OK, you should work as you feel comfortable.  I'll only make two comments
about this statement:

   1. I didn't suggest changing the extension.
   2. dlltool *is* the "proper way" to make an import library from a
      pre-existing DLL.  Unless I misunderstand what you're doing, this
      isn't your situation.

>OK i can ask my question in an other way. I have created a .dll and an .a
>file whith cygwin. How can i use this in a MSVC++ source ? (I tried some
>different way whith some simpl soucrecodes.) Where are the problems during the
>linking and compiling an how can i solve them.
>The informations on the cygwin page i found are rare.

It's not recommended because of various complications.  These include (as
Rob Collins pointed out yesterday):

Structure alignment
C runtime
Exception handling
No C++.

You'll find more discussion of this subject in the email list archives.
However, if you handle these areas properly, you can do what you're
suggesting.

You're probably better off looking at Chuck Wilson's site for DLL building
examples.

http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/

> >  As a result, you'll see the
> > same access violation.
>
>The access violation i got in the case of the .a only !

OK.  I guess you're doing something different with the .lib you're
creating.  I can't say whether that's good or bad.   My guess is that it's
bad but you'll need to debug it to find out for sure.

* Re: windows and cygwin compiled dll ?
@ 2002-05-29  6:10       ` Stefan Hansen
From: Stefan Hansen @ 2002-05-29  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> project.
> lib
> > >

> > > Why not just use the Cygwin .a import library?
> >
> >Linking whith .a (which i copy to .lib) is no problem. But during the
> >execution i got an Access Violation.
>

> Then it's unlikely that creating a .lib instead will help you.  The .lib
> will be the same import library as the .a.

If this librarys are the same, why dlltool ? or are im stupid at all ?
I think changing the extension is the wrong way. I think using dlltool is
the proper way.

OK i can ask my question in an other way. I have created a .dll and an .a
file whith cygwin. How can i use this in a MSVC++ source ? (I tried some
different way whith some simpl soucrecodes.) Where are the problems during the
linking and compiling an how can i solve them.
The informations on the cygwin page i found are rare.

>  As a result, you'll see the
> same access violation.

The access violation i got in the case of the .a only !

thanks,
Stefan Hansen

http://www.gmx.net

* Re: windows and cygwin compiled dll ?
@ 2002-05-28 13:18           ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-05-28 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Travis; +Cc: cygwin

Have you tried?  Please tell us why the information provided at the bottom
of every message on this list and/or at http://cygwin.com/lists.html doesn't
already answer your question.

@ 2002-05-28 12:04         ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-05-28 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Travis, Stefan Hansen; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2002-05-28 11:51       ` Jason Travis
From: Jason Travis @ 2002-05-28 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hansen, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: cygwin

       [not found]   ` <12056.1022593972@www21.gmx.net>
@ 2002-05-28 11:10     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-05-28 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hansen; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2002-05-28  9:33 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
       [not found]   ` <12056.1022593972@www21.gmx.net>
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-05-28  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hansen, cygwin

@ 2002-05-28  9:21 ` Stefan Hansen
From: Stefan Hansen @ 2002-05-28  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

i use the files from the example:
http://cygwin.com/building-reloc-dlls.txt

I created whith the make script (the same example) the DLL.
Then I use (thank to John Vincent)

dlltool -D fooB.dll -l fooB.lib

I got the lib.

Then I copy the main.c, fooB.dll, fooB.lib and the cygwin1.dll in the MSVC
Projectdir.

compiling whith MSVC returns:

--------------------Konfiguration: relocDLLTest - Win32
Debug--------------------
Kompilierung läuft...
main.c
C:\user\Hansen\DLL\relocDLLTest\main.c(8) : warning C4013: 'doit'
undefiniert; Annahme: extern mit Rueckgabetyp int
C:\user\Hansen\DLL\relocDLLTest\main.c(9) : warning C4013: 'doittoo'
undefiniert; Annahme: extern mit Rueckgabetyp int
Linker-Vorgang läuft...
main.obj : error LNK2001: Nichtaufgeloestes externes Symbol _doittoo
main.obj : error LNK2001: Nichtaufgeloestes externes Symbol _doit
Debug/relocDLLTest.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unaufgeloeste externe
Verweise
Fehler beim Ausführen von link.exe.

relocDLLTest.exe - 3 Fehler, 2 Warnung(en)

------------------

so i added to the main file the lines

int doit(int i);
int doittoo(int i);

and compiled again

--------------------Konfiguration: relocDLLTest - Win32
Debug--------------------
Kompilierung läuft...
main.c
Linker-Vorgang läuft...
main.obj : error LNK2001: Nichtaufgeloestes externes Symbol _doittoo
main.obj : error LNK2001: Nichtaufgeloestes externes Symbol _doit
Debug/relocDLLTest.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unaufgeloeste externe
Verweise
Fehler beim Ausführen von link.exe.

relocDLLTest.exe - 3 Fehler, 0 Warnung(en)

----------

I got again the LNK2001 Error. (the same error I got whithout the lib file.)
have i to use this stupid __decspec(dlleport) ?

hope you could still help

Stefan Hansen

http://www.gmx.net

* Re: windows and cygwin compiled dll ?
@ 2002-05-28  8:25 John Vincent
From: John Vincent @ 2002-05-28  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan.Hansen; +Cc: cygwin

Hi,

The cygwin binutils package contains a utility
called dlltool which I think does what you require.

/John Vincent.

* windows and cygwin compiled dll ?
@ 2002-05-28  8:16 Stefan Hansen
From: Stefan Hansen @ 2002-05-28  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi there,

I want to add a, dll which I compiled under cygwin, to my MSVC++ project.
If I am correct I need a lib file of this dll. How can I create this lib
file ?
And can I use the __declspec(dllexport) and __declspec(dllimport) command ?

If I am on the wrong way at all could you please give to solve my problem?

Thanks
Stefan Hansen

http://www.gmx.net