From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@Shaw.ca>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: dash 0.5.12-2
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 12:03:31 -0700	[thread overview]

On 2023-02-13 10:43, ASSI via Cygwin wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin writes:
>> On Feb 12 22:03, Cygwin dash Co-Maintainer wrote:
>>> The following packages have been upgraded in the Cygwin distribution:
>>>
>>> * dash        0.5.12-2
>>>
>>> This package is being upgraded to current as the previous release
>>> breaks existing function that may be relied on by some scripts.
>>> This release has been rebuilt disabling libc fnmatch and glob as
>>> Cygwin/winsup/newlib do not support locale dependent named character
>>> classes like glibc.

>> Can you give me an example?  I'm a bit puzzled because fnmatch as well
>> as glob in Cygwin support native characters.

But not locale dependent named character classes like regexp in paths.

> AFAIU, the issue was with locale dependent character classes, not
> characters. Andrey specifically mentioned [[:space:]] in the original
> bugreport.

Specifically support in fnmatch and glob, now updated in glibc, and their use in
dash for parameter expansion in place of (gnulib?) regexp support.

>> So how do we fix in Cygwin without pulling in GLibc code?

It's fixed in release 2 which disables 0.5.12 changed default (using
[Cygwin/winsup/newlib] libc fnmatch and glob, without testing functionality),
and goes back to using its own previous default (gnulib?) regexp code for
parameter expansion which supports locale dependent named character classes.

As glibc "recently" fixed their fnmatch and glob to support locale dependent
named character classes like [[:blank:]], dash decided to use those in parameter
expansions for consistency, but not exactly clearly documented, although they
added config options to enable/disable each of libc fnmatch/glob.

Cygwin bash parameter expansion also supports locale dependent named character
classes.

	$ info bash pattern
	$ info sed classes

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis			Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte			Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter	not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer	but when there is no more to cut
			-- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry