* [ANNOUNCEMENT] cygport 0.35.2-1
@ 2022-07-03 12:10 Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-07-03 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:

* cygport-0.35.2-1

cygport is the standard method for building and maintaining
packages for the Cygwin distribution.

Jon Turney (7):
       Add LICENSE variable
       Fix dependency detection for python3 shebang
       python-wheel: Make a python3-name virtual package
       Fix 'cygport vars UNDEFINED'
       Define the variable INHERITED with the names of all inherited
cygclasses
       Define the variable ARCHES with the supported arches for this cygport
       Bump version to 0.35.2

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] cygport 0.35.2-1
@ 2022-07-04  9:14 ` Christian Franke
From: Christian Franke @ 2022-07-04  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Jon Turney wrote:

> The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
>
> * cygport-0.35.2-1
>
> cygport is the standard method for building and maintaining
> packages for the Cygwin distribution.
>
> Jon Turney (7):
>       Add LICENSE variable

I would suggest to print a note or warning if LICENSE is missing. This
may encourage maintainers to add it.

--
Regards,
Christian

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] cygport 0.35.2-1
@ 2022-07-04 16:30   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2022-07-04 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Franke, cygwin

Greetings, Christian Franke!

> Jon Turney wrote:
>>
>> The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
>>
>> * cygport-0.35.2-1
>>
>> cygport is the standard method for building and maintaining
>> packages for the Cygwin distribution.
>>
>> Jon Turney (7):
>>       Add LICENSE variable

> I would suggest to print a note or warning if LICENSE is missing. This may encourage maintainers to add it.

I second that emotion.

For those unconvinced, here's a friendly detailed explanation: https://blog.codinghorror.com/pick-a-license-any-license/

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] cygport 0.35.2-1
@ 2022-07-04 19:41     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2022-07-04 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, cygwin-apps

On 2022-07-04 10:30, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Jon Turney wrote:
>>> The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
>>> * cygport-0.35.2-1
>>> cygport is the standard method for building and maintaining
>>> packages for the Cygwin distribution.
>>> Jon Turney (7):
>>>        Add LICENSE variable

>> I would suggest to print a note or warning if LICENSE is missing.
>> This may encourage maintainers to add it.

> I second that emotion.
> For those unconvinced, here's a friendly detailed explanation:
> https://blog.codinghorror.com/pick-a-license-any-license/
Good article! Great quote from comments:
"Most developers will spend more time deciding on which license to use
and figuring out the difference between all of the licenses than they
will developing the app they want to license."

I would suggest not yet, as there is no other documentation that it
exists, what it should contain, or suggestions for use, and it would be
annoying to maintainers if it appeared every time the .cygport is parsed
during a build! It needs to be discussed some more on cygwin-apps.

Perhaps a reminder at scallywag build or cygport upload, once the
requirements have been documented?

I am one of the initial users and am still short of 50% of my packages,
as it is non-trivial to decide what to call a licence if not (and even
sometimes if) explicitly documented in the package.
Most packages contain some file called something like COPYING sometimes
LICEN[CS]E which contains a bunch of clauses often without any label or
name, which the maintainer has to match against known licences, possibly
catalogued and named at the SPDX, CC, OSI, FSF/GNU sites, or another
such as Beerware.

For example, curl had a licence which is now called the "curl license":
not sure if that is even valid in most English-speaking jurisdictions
where the noun is "licenCe": IANAL!
Similar issue to the legal basis of time being solar or GMT where UTC is
not defined in any legislation.