* Re: WINDRES alternative for egcs Mingw32 on Win95
       [not found] <3.0.1.32.19980717134208.006add8c@pophost>
@ 1998-07-17  2:44 ` Douglas Steele
From: Douglas Steele @ 1998-07-17  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Crase; +Cc: gnu-win32

In message <3.0.1.32.19980717134208.006add8c@pophost>, Simon Crase
<simon@icpdd.neca.nec.com.au> writes
>So I am using lrc to do my res file, then making an object file with
>res2coff.  This came from a guy called Pedro A. Aranda, paag@tid.es and -
>according to the rlease notes - it was developed originally with lcc-win-32.

Unfortunately this happens.  Have you come across it before ?

(/R-0.61.3/src/gnuwin32)$ lrc -i/Mingw32/i386-mingw32/include wincons.rc
(/R-0.61.3/src/gnuwin32)$ res2coff -i wincons.rc -o wincons.o
C:\USR\BIN\BIN2\RES2COFF.EXE :Error in RES32 file format in 'wincons.rc'
[exited with 1]

--
Douglas

-

* Re: WINDRES alternative for egcs Mingw32 on Win95
@ 1998-07-20  4:31       ` Douglas Steele
From: Douglas Steele @ 1998-07-20  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dalgaard BSA; +Cc: Mumit Khan, gnu-win32

In message < x2af65cz51.fsf@biostat.ku.dk >, Peter Dalgaard BSA
>If you
>include <Windows32/Defines.h> instead of <windows.h>, all seems to be
>well [as proven by my standard torture test: It starts up and runs
>plot(1:10)...].
I'll try it, thanks.

--
Douglas

-

* Re: WINDRES alternative for egcs Mingw32 on Win95
@ 1998-07-19 19:03     ` Peter Dalgaard BSA
From: Peter Dalgaard BSA @ 1998-07-19 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas Steele; +Cc: Mumit Khan, gnu-win32

Douglas Steele <Douglas@dsteele.demon.co.uk> writes:

> In message <Pine.SUN.3.93.980717095438.27332A-100000@modi.xraylith.wisc.
> edu>, Mumit Khan <khan@xraylith.wisc.edu> writes
> >Douglas, why not just use the cygwin32 version? All you need is windres
> >and cygwinb19.dll, right? (of course I haven't personally tested this,
> >so don't know for sure).
> Tried it.
> First checked windres worked OK on full cygwin32 installation.
> Then replaced Mingw32 windres with cygwin32 windres and cygwinb19.dll
> ... same problem, rc file dumped to screen.
> As far as I can make out, its the Mingw32 cpp.exe thats the common
> factor here.

I just checked out whether I could cross-compile the R-0.61.3 sources
from Linux, and lo and behold:

$ PATH=~/mingw-cross/i386-mingw32/bin/:$PATH make
windres  -i wincons.rc -o res.o
windres:
/home/pd/mingw-cross/lib/gcc-lib/i386-mingw32/egcs-2.90.27/include/stdarg.h:70:
parse error
cpp: output pipe has been closed
make: *** [res.o] Error 1

Apparently, windres balks at typedef constructions in stuff included
via <windows.h>. The problem could well be just that w95 is not
handling the death of the receiving end of a pipe gracefully, but the
real solution is to prevent it from dying in the first place. If you
include <Windows32/Defines.h> instead of <windows.h>, all seems to be
well [as proven by my standard torture test: It starts up and runs
plot(1:10)...].

~~~~~~~~~~ - (p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk)             FAX: (+45) 35327907
-

* Re: WINDRES alternative for egcs Mingw32 on Win95
@ 1998-07-18 20:30     ` Sam Holden
From: Sam Holden @ 1998-07-18 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Douglas Steele writes:
>In message <Pine.SUN.3.93.980717095438.27332A-100000@modi.xraylith.wisc.
>edu>, Mumit Khan <khan@xraylith.wisc.edu> writes
>>Douglas, why not just use the cygwin32 version? All you need is windres
>>and cygwinb19.dll, right? (of course I haven't personally tested this,
>>so don't know for sure).
>Tried it.
>First checked windres worked OK on full cygwin32 installation.
>Then replaced Mingw32 windres with cygwin32 windres and cygwinb19.dll
>... same problem, rc file dumped to screen.
>As far as I can make out, its the Mingw32 cpp.exe thats the common
>factor here.
>
>--
>Douglas

There's a replacement for cpp.exe for mingw32 that should be available
whereever mingw32 is. It exists because the cpp in mingw32 doesn't find
include files or something like that.

I haven't tried it, so I'm not sure if that's the problem, for all I
know you might be using the 'fixed' one. But if not, then that's worth a
try.

Sam
---
Oh my God! They killed Kenny. You Bastard!!!
-

* Re: WINDRES alternative for egcs Mingw32 on Win95
@ 1998-07-18  6:00 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1998-07-18  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas Steele, gnu-win32

Recently I've been using LRC which comes with Jacob Navia's LCC and
can be found at http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32 .

You could also find RC by MS in the SDK downloads from MSDN.  I don't
know which specific package though.

---Douglas Steele <ds@dsteele.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone suggest an alternative for windres on ecgs Mingw32.
> On some Win95 setups it fails because when it does a popen it dumps
the
> res file to the screen instead of passing it to gcc.  Problem,
according
> to Mumit, is due not to windres, but to various Win95 DLL's which are
> used by Mingw32.
>

> It was suggested to me that I try to use windres compiled with djgpp
> ftp://sirio.stat.unipd.it/pub/misc and this compiles OK.  Even links
OK.
> Trouble is that I get a runtime error
> (system crash with blue screen
> Fatal Exception 0E at 0137:BFF9A07C
> then
> R incurred invalid page fault in module <unknown> at bffb:00080020)
>
> Presumably an incompatible windres.
>

> So, can anyone suggest an alternative to windres for Mingw32 ecgs ?
> (Unfortunately, I do not have the computing resources or experience to
> fix the popen problem in Mingw32 directly)
>

> --
> Douglas Steele
> -
message to

==
-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
--earnie_boyd@yahoo.com--
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

* Re: WINDRES alternative for egcs Mingw32 on Win95
@ 1998-07-18  6:00 ` Peter Dalgaard BSA
From: Peter Dalgaard BSA @ 1998-07-18  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas Steele; +Cc: gnu-win32

Douglas Steele <ds@dsteele.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Can anyone suggest an alternative for windres on ecgs Mingw32.
> On some Win95 setups it fails because when it does a popen it dumps the
> res file to the screen instead of passing it to gcc.  Problem, according
> to Mumit, is due not to windres, but to various Win95 DLL's which are
> used by Mingw32.
>

> It was suggested to me that I try to use windres compiled with djgpp
> ftp://sirio.stat.unipd.it/pub/misc and this compiles OK.  Even links OK.
> Trouble is that I get a runtime error
> (system crash with blue screen
> Fatal Exception 0E at 0137:BFF9A07C
> then
> R incurred invalid page fault in module <unknown> at bffb:00080020)
>
> Presumably an incompatible windres.

The rumors I've heard say that the problems occur with W95 OSR*1*, but
not earlier or later versions and that it works with binutils 2.9.1...

@ 1998-07-18  6:00 ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1998-07-18  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32; +Cc: Douglas Steele

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Douglas Steele wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone suggest an alternative for windres on ecgs Mingw32.
> On some Win95 setups it fails because when it does a popen it dumps the
> res file to the screen instead of passing it to gcc.  Problem, according
> to Mumit, is due not to windres, but to various Win95 DLL's which are
> used by Mingw32.

Here's the problem Douglas is referring to:

  Windres calls the CPP (C pre-processor) using popen and simply reads the
  standard output of cpp for the pre-processed resource description. Now,
  we run into problems on the following systems:

  1. CRTDLL (certain versions)on Win95: popen messes up the standard
     output/error of the process it's running and the output goes to the
     screen instead.

  2. MSVCRT or MSVCR40 on WinNT (possibly on W95, but not tested yet): You
     get some bizarre error from popen that says 'disk is full' or some
     such rubbish. This *does* work with MSVCRT20.DLL however. Now, the
     same test code works with MSVC++ 4.0, so there is some "magic" that
     mingw32 startup is missing that MSVC++ 4.0 is doing to achieve this.

The popen problem has been discussed in this mailing list (search the
archives) with no apparent resolution. I was planning to write a simple
and minimal replacement for popen that would get around this, but no time
yet. Do I hear someone just volunteer?

Douglas, why not just use the cygwin32 version? All you need is windres
and cygwinb19.dll, right? (of course I haven't personally tested this,
so don't know for sure).

Regards,
Mumit

ps: Douglas, apologies for not responding to your earlier email, but life
is rather hectic these days.

-

* Re: WINDRES alternative for egcs Mingw32 on Win95
@ 1998-07-18  6:00   ` Douglas Steele
From: Douglas Steele @ 1998-07-18  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: gnu-win32

In message <Pine.SUN.3.93.980717095438.27332A-100000@modi.xraylith.wisc.
edu>, Mumit Khan <khan@xraylith.wisc.edu> writes
>Douglas, why not just use the cygwin32 version? All you need is windres
>and cygwinb19.dll, right? (of course I haven't personally tested this,
>so don't know for sure).
The port that I am working on has some rather large makefiles which do
work with ecgs-Mingw32.  I did briefly try getting them to work using
cygwin32 and got some of the smaller ones to work OK.  Perhaps I will
try again though.

>ps: Douglas, apologies for not responding to your earlier email, but life
>is rather hectic these days.
No problem, same with me.

---
Douglas
                "Hegel was right when he said that we learn from history
                 that man can never learn anything from history."
                                          George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
-

From: Douglas Steele @ 1998-07-18  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: gnu-win32