On 9/9/2020 8:08 AM, Andrew Schulman via Cygwin wrote: > Here's a strange one. In bash in i686, try to run: > > ls /dev/ptmx > > I only get about as far as: > > ls /dev/p > > and then my terminal window vanishes. This happens: > > * In fish or bash. > * On two different hosts that I've tried. > * In mintty or a system terminal. In the system terminal, sometimes the > command works normally the first time, but fails the 2nd time; or I have to > press after `ls /dev/p`, then the terminal vanishes. > * With other commands that treat their arguments as files, not text. So for > example, I can't finish typing `cat /dev/ptmx` or `test -r /dev/ptmx` > before the terminal window vanishes, but `echo /dev/ptmx` works normally. > > It doesn't happen: > > * In x86_64 - only i686. > * In scripts - only interactively. > > Is anyone else able to reproduce this? I've tried to capture an strace log, > but I've failed so far. The strace seems to stop the crash. Still trying. > > I thought this could be a BLODA problem, but the two hosts I tried are > running different virus scanners (McAfee and Windows Defender). > > Cygwin 3.1.7-1, all packages up-to-date. Output of cygcheck -svr attached. Yes, I saw this happen as well. However, the problem is not ls but in filename completion in a shell. I see it with echo as well as ls. It seems to be filename completion generally, and probably has to do with directory and file status calls. Indeed, I see it in 32-bit cygwin but not 64 bit. The cygwin dll version is 3.1.7. So I view this as a righteous bug report. I tried an strace of bash then the tab completion. At /dev/pt I got this: 14458190 [main] bash 325 fhandler_pty_master::setup_pseudoconsole: CreatePseudoConsole() failed. 00000032 ptmx pty0 (The last line is the actual completion output.) At /dev/ptm I got: 94511283 [main] bash 325 fhandler_pty_master::setup_pseudoconsole: CreatePseudoConsole() failed. 00000032 x (The final x is the completion of /dev/ptm to /dev/ptmx.) When strace'd, the bash didn't die (as a top-level one does), but we got those useful messages. After allowing ls /dev/ptmx to print its output, I exited the bash. I attach the strace output (gzipped). I'm guessing this behavior is down inside the stat64 call on /dev/ptmx, but I'm not sure. Regards to all -- Eliot Moss