* RE: cvs pserver authentication frustration
       [not found] <91C3A0F2BA19D5119B18000021E59D520C805E@EXCH01>
@ 2001-12-11 13:35 ` Geoff Soutter
From: Geoff Soutter @ 2001-12-11 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> > I have consulted google and the mailing list archives in
> order to find a
> > solution. I see people have asked similar questions before but never
> > recieved a reply.
>
> Did you read this message:
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-11/msg00233.html

No. Doh! My archive searching skills are obviously on the blink. Sigh.

Geoff

* Re: cvs pserver authentication frustration
@ 2001-12-11  1:09 ` Greg Matheson
From: Greg Matheson @ 2001-12-11  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Geoff Soutter wrote:

> Hi there,

> I've just spent a day mucking around with CVS pserver mode under cvywin
> trying to get it to work. I succeeded in getting inetd set up, and getting
> CVS running under it.

[cut]

> I have consulted google and the mailing list archives in order to find a
> solution. I see people have asked similar questions before but never
> recieved a reply.

Did you read this message:

It starts:

--
Greg Matheson                    If you're not making mistakes,
Chinmin College                  you must be making some mistake.

Taiwan Penpals Archive <URL: http://netcity.hinet.net/kurage>

* RE: cvs pserver authentication frustration
       [not found] <91C3A0F2BA19D5119B18000021E59D520C8023@EXCH01>
@ 2001-12-10 16:46 ` Geoff Soutter
From: Geoff Soutter @ 2001-12-10 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Charles Wilson'; +Cc: cygwin

Hi Charles

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.

> I believe that cvs in pserver server mode will have problems with
> switching user context; I have added no windows-specific code
> to enable
> seteuid() to work, so I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work.
> Patches gratefully accepted.

Guessed as much.

Sorry, patches are beyond me at the moment. It's years since I wrote any
C...

> Or, you could get sshd working, and use CVS_RSH=ssh on the remote
> machine...and then *cvs* would be run as a local process on the
> repository host; ssh would handle the network stuff.

Yes, thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to try this. At least I remember
how inetd works now...

Cheers,

Geoff

* Re: cvs pserver authentication frustration
@ 2001-12-10  0:53 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-12-10  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsoutter; +Cc: cygwin

Geoff Soutter wrote:

> I have consulted google and the mailing list archives in order to find a
> solution. I see people have asked similar questions before but never
> recieved a reply.

Not entirely true. I have replied on occaision, but I get tired of
answering the same question over and over.  The content of those replies
was: "I have not tested pserver functionality.  AFAIK, pserver does not
work on cygwin.  If you manage to get it to work, please post to the
list how you did that,including configury and patches (if needed)"

I believe that cvs in pserver server mode will have problems with
switching user context; I have added no windows-specific code to enable
seteuid() to work, so I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work.
Patches gratefully accepted.

Or, you could get sshd working, and use CVS_RSH=ssh on the remote
machine...and then *cvs* would be run as a local process on the
repository host; ssh would handle the network stuff.

> I've tried all kinds of authentication options: for example, I tried using a
> real nt user, and creating users in CVSROOT/passwd. Neither options worked,
> even when I used blank passwords. The FTP server authentication works ok, so
> its not my system setup, presumably.
>
> Has anyone got CVS pserver working under cygwin? Any hints for how to get
> the authentication working? Or, perhaps it's known to be broken?

"Known to be broken" is probably the closest description.

--Chuck

* cvs pserver authentication frustration
@ 2001-12-09 23:06 Geoff Soutter
From: Geoff Soutter @ 2001-12-09 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi there,

I've just spent a day mucking around with CVS pserver mode under cvywin
trying to get it to work. I succeeded in getting inetd set up, and getting
CVS running under it.

(I added this to inetd.conf

cvspserver stream  tcp  nowait  root    /bin/cvs
cvs -f --allow-root=<directory name> pserver

and I added this to C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\services

cvspserver       2401/tcp)

However, I can't seem to get the authentication to work.

I always get the following message:

cvs login: authorization failed: server devserver rejected access to
<directory name> for user <user>

I have consulted google and the mailing list archives in order to find a
solution. I see people have asked similar questions before but never
recieved a reply.

I've tried all kinds of authentication options: for example, I tried using a
real nt user, and creating users in CVSROOT/passwd. Neither options worked,
even when I used blank passwords. The FTP server authentication works ok, so
its not my system setup, presumably.

Has anyone got CVS pserver working under cygwin? Any hints for how to get
the authentication working? Or, perhaps it's known to be broken?

Cheers

Geoff