* Perl 5.14 and XML::Parser
@ 2012-08-16  7:40 Thomas Wicklund
From: Thomas Wicklund @ 2012-08-16  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The update of perl on to 5.14 moved some perl modules to a new perl_vendor package which is not installed by default.  The announcement I found stated that perl_vendor is modules "which are mainly required to build and test and report test results of other CPAN modules."

I find that the XML::Parser module (at least) has been moved.  I've been using this module for years to parse XML output for a set of Subversion tools.  I had a couple hours of digging today to figure out why a coworker started getting errors after updating Cygwin, then figuring out the new package.

As an occasional user of perl I would much prefer that the maximum number of packages be included in the distribution (since disk space and bandwidth are constantly becoming cheaper) than to have to spend time figuring out why something can't be found.

Thomas Wicklund

* Re: Perl 5.14 and XML::Parser
@ 2012-08-16  7:41 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-08-16  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:04:48PM -0600, Thomas Wicklund wrote:
>The update of perl on to 5.14 moved some perl modules to a new
>perl_vendor package which is not installed by default.  The
>announcement I found stated that perl_vendor is modules "which are
>mainly required to build and test and report test results of other CPAN
>modules."
>
>I find that the XML::Parser module (at least) has been moved.  I've
>been using this module for years to parse XML output for a set of
>Subversion tools.  I had a couple hours of digging today to figure out
>why a coworker started getting errors after updating Cygwin, then
>figuring out the new package.
>
>As an occasional user of perl I would much prefer that the maximum
>number of packages be included in the distribution (since disk space
>and bandwidth are constantly becoming cheaper) than to have to spend
>time figuring out why something can't be found.

It seems like you're scolding the perl package maintainer (who provides
you with a valuable service for free) for having the audacity to change
something while providing information about the change in his release
announcement.

I prefer to hear from users who are savvy enough to update packages
while understanding that valuable information will be included in the
package upgrade announcement and who will make accommodations based
on that fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8H7Rk_JP60

* Re: Perl 5.14 and XML::Parser
@ 2012-08-18  0:45   ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2012-08-18  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 6:55 AM, Christopher Faylor  wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:04:48PM -0600, Thomas Wicklund wrote:
>>The update of perl on to 5.14 moved some perl modules to a new
>>perl_vendor package which is not installed by default.  The
>>announcement I found stated that perl_vendor is modules "which are
>>mainly required to build and test and report test results of other CPAN
>>modules."

That was the short summary, yes.

>>I find that the XML::Parser module (at least) has been moved.  I've
>>been using this module for years to parse XML output for a set of
>>Subversion tools.  I had a couple hours of digging today to figure out
>>why a coworker started getting errors after updating Cygwin, then
>>figuring out the new package.

As an request from Yaakov and also from upstream p5p
I have moved all non-core packages to the new perl_vendor.

>>As an occasional user of perl I would much prefer that the maximum
>>number of packages be included in the distribution (since disk space
>>and bandwidth are constantly becoming cheaper) than to have to spend
>>time figuring out why something can't be found.

This is right. I really sympathize with you and all others.
But unfortunately I had to made this move for political reasons,
not technical ones.
--
Reini Urban
http://cpanel.net/   http://www.perl-compiler.org/

* RE: Perl 5.14 and XML::Parser
@ 2012-08-23 18:31     ` Thomas Wicklund
From: Thomas Wicklund @ 2012-08-23 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Friday, August 17, 2012 4:50 PM, Reini Urban wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 6:55 AM, Christopher Faylor  wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:04:48PM -0600, Thomas Wicklund wrote:
>>>The update of perl on to 5.14 moved some perl modules to a new
>>>perl_vendor package which is not installed by default.  The
>>>announcement I found stated that perl_vendor is modules "which are
>>>mainly required to build and test and report test results of other CPAN
>>>modules."
>
>That was the short summary, yes.
>
>>>I find that the XML::Parser module (at least) has been moved.  I've
>>>been using this module for years to parse XML output for a set of
>>>Subversion tools.  I had a couple hours of digging today to figure out
>>>why a coworker started getting errors after updating Cygwin, then
>>>figuring out the new package.
>
>As an request from Yaakov and also from upstream p5p
>I have moved all non-core packages to the new perl_vendor.
>
>>>As an occasional user of perl I would much prefer that the maximum
>>>number of packages be included in the distribution (since disk space
>>>and bandwidth are constantly becoming cheaper) than to have to spend
>>>time figuring out why something can't be found.
>
>This is right. I really sympathize with you and all others.
>But unfortunately I had to made this move for political reasons,
>not technical ones.

Thank you for the response.  While the new package was annoying and
took some time to figure out, I was more concerned that the
announcement implied that the new package was for modules which
weren't of general use.

I didn't see the original announcement (we rarely update cygwin) so it
took a while to find.  However, even if I had seen the announcement I
wouldn't have had any reason think it would affect me.

Thomas Wicklund