* My arrays in C are too large
@ 2019-09-13 11:27 Blair, Charles E III
From: Blair, Charles E III @ 2019-09-13 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have been using on other machines a program that includes

char *a[50][8192];

but this declaration, by itself, gives "segmentation" errors.

[8192 is BUFSIZ on other machines, although it seems to be 1024 here.
The program uses 50 different permutations on strings of size BUFSIZ.]

* Re: My arrays in C are too large
@ 2019-09-13 12:10 ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2019-09-13 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/13/2019 7:04 AM, Blair, Charles E III wrote:
> I have been using on other machines a program that includes
>
> char *a[50][8192];
>
> but this declaration, by itself, gives "segmentation" errors.
>
> [8192 is BUFSIZ on other machines, although it seems to be 1024 here.
> The program uses 50 different permutations on strings of size BUFSIZ.]

It's surprising to me, since that is 50 * 8192 = 400K char * pointers,
which is likely 1600K bytes (assuming a 32-bit machine).  Not tiny,
but well within the scope of modern machines.  The strings themselves
are what will take a lot of space, unless a lot of the pointers are
NULL or something.  There would seem to be something else going on.
Can you reduce this to the smallest failing example?

Regards - EM